• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thinking of quitting my job.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
My boss called me this morning and told me she was frustrated with how often I chose to work remotely last week, and that my employment there was on thin ice because of that.

I also am very frustrated with the very long bus commute that used to not be so long before bus service got cut due to COVID.

I am thinking of giving my boss a two-weeks notice and living off my SSDI check alone. It would mean I would have to make some sacrifices when it comes to luxuries I have become used to. But I have disliked this job for quite some time now.

My sponsor insists that I should talk with my therapist about this before I "do anything drastic and irreversible".

I agree. You really should express your feelings right now before you do anything. Your boss might have been having a bad day and just taking it out on you. Covid affected a lot of jobs and working at home is easier for some people who need to make long commutes to get to work. If you quit you might end up regretting it and then you might be unable to get it back or even find something similar that pays as well.

As a general rule, don't quit a job unless you've got another one lined up and waiting for you. Future employers tend to look negatively on this type of behavior,...nor do they want to listen to excuses,...just saying.

My boss called me this morning and told me she was frustrated with how often I chose to work remotely last week, and that my employment there was on thin ice because of that.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between working at the office/whatever and working at home?

Is this one of those things where there's a genuine practical difference, or is it one of those "I'm the employer and everyone should be physically near me so I feel important" sorts of things?

Well, I just finished a phone call with a client which reminded me why I applied to work for this place to begin with. I was able to connect this individual directly to resources he needed to improve his quality of life.

Moment like that are great, but I still hate the current commute into the office.

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between working at the office/whatever and working at home?

Is this one of those things where there's a genuine practical difference, or is it one of those "I'm the employer and everyone should be physically near me so I feel important" sorts of things?

Basically she wonders if work is actually getting done if I am working remote. I give her reports every day. I give her results every day. I sense a power trip.

The problem most of us have in this life is we need the job to get our money (in case we haven't any or haven't yet gotten our disability pay). so, what i would suggest is although i understand youre sick of this job why not accept you need to get to work more in person to keep youre boss happy BUT at the same time look for another job closer to home etc.... To not liking once job is sadly all too common in general in many cases both genders etc... BUT it is sadly a necessity

Its way easier to get a new job if you have another while searching.

And also, with youre other problems BELIVE me you DONT want to have all this free time at home being able to nothing, not to mention all this time all alone with youre thoughts (that's my life and it isent worth diddly & as i said in other places in here IF i get the chance i will gladly step back in the working world and take on even a NOT even remotely close to my favorite job JUST to get some kind of worth living life and possible social life as well from it )

So do think this thru thurly and way the different options against each other and to talk over this with youre therapist as well.

She has to show up and you don't. Can you agree on one week there, one week at home? Or work out an agreeable schedule. Do you keep detailed admin time sheets? They do have excellent software for this.

The problem most of us have in this life is we need the job to get our money (in case we haven't any or haven't yet gotten our disability pay). so, what i would suggest is although i understand youre sick of this job why not accept you need to get to work more in person to keep youre boss happy BUT at the same time look for another job closer to home etc.... To not liking once job is sadly all too common in general in many cases both genders etc... BUT it is sadly a necessity

Its way easier to get a new job if you have another while searching.

And also, with youre other problems BELIVE me you DONT want to have all this free time at home being able to nothing, not to mention all this time all alone with youre thoughts (that's my life and it isent worth diddly & as i said in other places in here IF i get the chance i will gladly step back in the working world and take on even a NOT even remotely close to my favorite job JUST to get some kind of worth living life and possible social life as well from it )

So do think this thru thurly and way the different options against each other and to talk over this with youre therapist as well.

I remember I was quite content twelve years ago when I was unemployed and able to live off my SSDI alone. I spent a fair amount of time on my film criticism hobby, and I was actively promoting my website and making a name for myself as a serious film critic. I never should have given that hobby up. It was a satisfying hobby.

She has to show up and you don't. Can you agree on one week there, one week at home? Or work out an agreeable schedule. Do you keep detailed admin time sheets? They do have excellent software for this.
I do keep detailed admin time sheets. I guess for now I have to show up at the office for a while and deal with the frustratingly long commute both ways. I do not want to leave this job on bad terms, you all are correct about that.

Problem there is still what you need to be able to have said and or find other hobbies that usely cost money is a job my friend.

I have been on permanent disablity for 20+ years and all this time i have had to cut down on everything and made lots of financial priorities

Not to mention there is NO guarantee that we with different disabilities are to being able to receive it without also having to work according to our capulities. Or even worse the system collapse and we are forced out like it or not or no pay.

And let's not forget that prices are going up all over on EVERYTHING making our income diminish.

Problem there is still what you need to be able to have said and or find other hobbies that usely cost money is a job my friend.

I have been on permanent disablity for 20+ years and all this time i have had to cut down on everything and made lots of financial priorities

Not to mention there is NO guarantee that we with different disabilities are to being able to receive it without also having to work according to our capulities. Or even worse the system collapse and we are forced out like it or not or no pay.

And let's not forget that prices are going up all over on EVERYTHING making our income diminish.

@Sarah S you are right about that. I am dealing with weird issues that have cost my last guy half his income. I feel so helpless and he is still there for me. :(

In essence in the near future, it may prove to be the worst possible time to quit a job when all you can fall back on is a fixed income. No matter how much one may hate their work.

In essence in the near future, it may prove to be the worst possible time to quit a job.

No matter how much one may hate their work.

OK, I will not quit my job and I will do the damn commute every day for the time being. I hate that commute, seriously.

In the meanwhile, I will focus on bringing my website back and once again make a name for myself like that. My old website was on Rotten Tomatoes for a brief period of time before my mother steel-toed me into shutting it down. I have to live for myself now. Not for my boss, not for my family. I will do what my boss asks of me at this point since the extra cash is nice.

OK, I will not quit my job and I will do the damn commute every day for the time being. I hate that commute, seriously.

In the meanwhile, I will focus on bringing my website back and once again make a name for myself like that. My old website was on Rotten Tomatoes for a brief period of time before my mother steel-toed me into shutting it down. I have to live for myself now. Not for my boss, not for my family. I will do what my boss asks of me at this point since the extra cash is nice.

I had a commute on public transit (BART) for ten years that usually took 65 minutes one way. Had another job for two years that involved a drive that could take anywhere from one to two hours depending on traffic.

I also had a commute for six years that at best took 64 seconds if all the lights were green.

Better off to bide your time and perhaps look for another job closer to home.

@Sarah S you are right about that. I am dealing with weird issues that have cost my last guy half his income. I feel so helpless, and he is still there for me. :(

Im so sorry to read that my friend. (sad face)

Needless to say, my statement reg me IF given a chance to get back to work (Pastime and a job WAY of from a good or favorite work) is also so i get more money to be able to do something in my past time.

Over here pretty much all or government is sounding

" ALL that is able to Shall also work " And i should also say that even us on disability are HIGHLY encouraged to (and with help while in education still have our pay) And also, we are allowed to work with (less yes but still in many cases adequate levels.) pay from our disability pay, Thus, im able to work part time and get to receive more than half my ord disability. My only problem is who would be willing to dare to give me the chance to first get the education i need (6 month) and then being brave enough to actually be willing to hire me?

Last edited:
Over here those in the work force and looking for jobs are BOUND to accept 4 hoers of commute time / day (2 houers there and 2 home. )

+ they have to search ALL over the country (obviously it matters if you have kids etc...) and MUST accept job offers from all over the country and even international

Refuse any job offers in the country and you lose youre unemployment pay to some degree. same with if you fail to be active enough on youre job searching (youre being monitored and have to present written proof of all the jobs you have applied for every week )

Last edited:

I wish you all the luck in getting youre old website up and going and as i also said its important to have a meaningful past time as well. (smiling)

Sadly, a doc l know commutes 120 minutes one way everyday, however is well-paid. But this commute does age him.

New Threads

Top Bottom