• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things you regret caused by your Aspergers

Keith

I regret my tendency to want to talk nonstop about what comes to my mind. I've been known to confuse or annoy people. Instead of doing that, I should learn to analyze the situation and engage myself in what others are doing.

I regret my poor judgement skills. It's led to results which are either embarrassing or regrettable themselves. Part of my poor judgement moments is a tendency to worry about what will happen if I make a certain decision. At work the other day, I realized I had forgotten to bring my phone and other important items. I was hesitant to ask them whether I could call my parents to have them bring them over.

I can't say I regret anything to be honest.

Perhaps it also comes with living in the now, rather than looking back at "what should've been". That, and the fact that, at the time you didn't know any better.. I find it hard to regret or blame myself for something I had no actual knowledge about at the time.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I have met people on the spectrum who I view as being a little lower than I am while still being functional. I need to use them as a reminder of how much I've improved over my lifetime and how I should continue to work on my issues. One person I've met is easily annoyed by my tendencies to talk nonstop about whatever, and I've begun to not talk to him as often.

Speaking for the other side, I regret a lot of things I've done, and I know most of it was due to ASD. I was late in my self-diagnosis, and I think I would've made much better decisions if I'd known what was going on earlier. My biggest regret is my career choice.

I just remembered that I have a history of choosing not to go somewhere and then regretting it when it's too late. I should consider that I might enjoy it.

Not saying the right thing at the right time relative to a relationship that I lost forever.

Absolutely due to my autism, but at a time when I was totally unaware of it.

I've made a lot of mistakes that I regret. But that was then and this now. Like King_Oni said , "living in the now" is a very good idea. As far as the mistakes go, I see that a result of being a human. Not being a Aspie.

'

I regret nearly every single thing I've done when I've been attracted to a guy. I'm not one of those psycho girls that slashes tires or stuff like that, I'm just sooo awkward and embarrassing. I still want to crawl in a hole when I remember some of the dorky things I've said or done. I want to go back and apologize to some guys, but I don't think I could be within fifty feet of them without having a fidget-attack now or something. o_O

Breaking things during meltdowns. Just last week I threw a pair of pliers and they broke a piece out of one of my DVDs (the Temple Grandin movie, coincidentally). I'm going to order a new one in a few days when my gift cards from SwagBucks come in, but I feel bad because it was a Christmas gift.

I didn't know I had it till recently. I regret that my family chooses to not be close to me or interact with me because of it. :(

Honestly I'm more upset about things in my past than regretting them, upset and angry at my parents for not caring enough to see that I was different. Growing up school was a nightmare for me and I never had more than one friend if I had any. As a result to this day my social anxiety is unmanageable.

I mean for real. How far up does your head have to be up your own butt not to realize that your child isn't normal? The almost nightly anxiety attacks, complete shut downs, total lack of social interaction or crying about school on a daily basis weren't enough signs to make you think?

..sorry for the rant.

I used to regret shutting myself off from the world when I was a teenager. I kinda still regret not having the confidence to pursue things I was interested when I was younger. Turning down invites to go on social excursions, and the like. My family started to give up on me at one point, saying they couldn't help me because I didn't want to help myself.. that was difficult.

not communicating with my nieces enough when they were small. I'm the kind of aspie who's so easily overwhelmed by human contact that I just cant stand it, and as a result I'm an introvert to the extreme.

Honestly I'm more upset about things in my past than regretting them, upset and angry at my parents for not caring enough to see that I was different. Growing up school was a nightmare for me and I never had more than one friend if I had any. As a result to this day my social anxiety is unmanageable.

I mean for real. How far up does your head have to be up your own butt not to realize that your child isn't normal? The almost nightly anxiety attacks, complete shut downs, total lack of social interaction or crying about school on a daily basis weren't enough signs to make you think?

..sorry for the rant.

oh, my parents didnt know, either, and i used to flap my fingers with the speed of lightening and didnt make a single friend, and paced back and forth in the school backyard...

Speaking for the other side, I regret a lot of things I've done, and I know most of it was due to ASD. I was late in my self-diagnosis, and I think I would've made much better decisions if I'd known what was going on earlier. My biggest regret is my career choice.

may i ask what you do?

"It seems that your always going to have regrets, just make sure their the right ones" - forgot who said that

Yes, how far indeed. I chalk it up to the fact that my parents weren't normal either. "The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree." <sigh>

Yes, how far indeed. I chalk it up to the fact that my parents weren't normal either. "The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree." <sigh>

With my parents, it was a combination of my brother and I being soooo much like them and other people in their families and just plain not knowing what autism really is. Aspergers didn't even exist until I was 5, so there's always that. I know my parents saw some of our differences, but they didn't have a name for it and no one ever pointed them in the right direction. At the same time, my dad has the obsessive interests, my mom borders on OCD, I have uncles with various other aspects, all the guys in my family have trouble with social skills... So we were "normal" in our family. :p It wasn't until I studied special education in college that we figured it out. My brother was formally diagnosed with Aspergers soon after. I can't afford to see anyone, so I'm just self-diagnosed. It's generally agreed within my family that I am more severe than he is.

New Threads

Top Bottom