• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things people say to you, & how to respond.

Hate them. When I'm feeling rested enough, I just answer with avoidant 'Why do you ask?' or 'What about you'. If they press, with 'I didn't really think about it' with a shrug, while for the work for living I just answer with my job description (short one).

When I'm tired, I say as comes 'Not really. Maybe. I work'. All in all, some ********.

When exhausted, it's simple 'Not your business'. Sometimes with a little emphasis before the word 'your'. Works like a charm!

Another one I have real problems with;
(And am open to suggestions)

"How do you feel about that?"
Or
"How does that make you feel?"

I'm talking about therapists, in response to a therapist's question.

If they're asking the question in a conversation, it stands to reason that I'm supposed to have some sort of emotional label to offer up at that point.

What if I don't?

Or at least, the truth (as I see it) raises eyebrows.

Another one I have real problems with;
(And am open to suggestions)

"How do you feel about that?"
Or
"How does that make you feel?"

I'm talking about therapists, in response to a therapist's question.

If they're asking the question in a conversation, it stands to reason that I'm supposed to have some sort of emotional label to offer up at that point.

What if I don't?

Or at least, the truth (as I see it) raises eyebrows.

My truth would be more, i dont think of things in that way.

Dont see why i have to label anything emotionally.

But that is obviously incorrect. Were not allowed to label the world our own way.

We have to be assessed at how badly we're doing by someone elses made up (nonsensical) way

My truth would be more, i dont think of things in that way.

Dont see why i have to label anything emotionally.

But that is obviously incorrect. Were not allowed to label the world our own way.

We have to be assessed at how badly we're doing by someone elses made up (nonsensical) way

Many thanks Mr Fridge :)

After a ponder over the above,
It seems I'm worrying that my non standard answers highlight my differences.
I've tried to disguise those for a long time.

Struggling to answer that particular question is (in my mind) evidence.
I don't want the therapist to discover differences, I want the therapist to see 'sames'
It's a habit of mine to try to create that same-ness...

Hmm..?

... it's little wonder I'm anxious (polite technical term)

... Bullox!!!!!

If the person seems to be nice or I'm feeling generous, I'll just give one-word answers with as little information as possible. Usually they get the hint that I don't want to divulge. I've found that either maintaining constant eye contact or completely avoiding eye contact while giving one-word answers makes them uncomfortable.

If they ask an intrusive question and I'm feeling sassy, I'll answer "Do you plan on having kids?" with a rant about how children ruin your life and take away your freedom and individuality, and the economy is so effed that I could never afford to have kids even if I wanted them, which I don't because they're demanding little germ factories. If the person is REALLY annoying me, I'll try to get them on board with the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement.

Disclaimer: I actually love kids. I don't want any of my own, but I like children and I totally understand why some people want to have children. I just like to shock nosy people with extreme opinions. That's what they get for asking!

I was thinking of printing a business card:

"Non-verbal" Look it up.

I was following a car the other day that had a window sticker that said "Neurodiversity - Look it up." I thought that was pretty cool and it was tasteful.

Re: Business cards: I was listening to a podcast called... The Flappy Hour Podcast, I think, and they had done this exact thing. They had business cards made up explaining that they were on the spectrum, and what to do in certain situations.

I think they had ones for different scenarios, too, like if they were about to break down they'd give a card explaining why, how the people surrounding them could handle it, and a phone number to call in case of emergency.

I think another one was just something like, "I'm not rude, I'm just nonverbal."

Re: Business cards: I was listening to a podcast called... The Flappy Hour Podcast, I think, and they had done this exact thing. They had business cards made up explaining that they were on the spectrum, and what to do in certain situations.

I think they had ones for different scenarios, too, like if they were about to break down they'd give a card explaining why, how the people surrounding them could handle it, and a phone number to call in case of emergency.

I think another one was just something like, "I'm not rude, I'm just nonverbal."
We have a autism card in the UK,it's the size of a credit card and it tells people we are autistic ,I made one as I didn't want to pay for one

I'm usually capable of politely brushing people off, and when I'm pushed to my limits, I'll just blatantly state that I don't want to talk to someone.

I've worked in retail for the past nine years, where you have to be polite and sociable as part of your job. Even if you're not at work, you have to be polite to regular customers outside of the store, or it reflects badly on your workplace. Now that I'm mostly out of the retail industry, I'm probably going to revert back to straight telling people to leave me alone.

Another nosy question: When do you plan on having a family?

My husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/partner is my family.

"Not sure. Why?" Or
"That's a good question. Ask me again in a year or two."

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom