• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

They just don't understand

AngelWings17

I feel like my family just doesn't understand AS or any other disability on the Autism Spectrum. They treat me like they would a normal person, and while that is one thing I want in life, I don't want them to just ignore my disability completely. I want to be treated a bit like a normal person, but I want people to understand what goes on in my mind and the struggles I face every day.

Take my "sister", for example. She thinks if she constantly lectures or yells at me then I'll get what she's trying to say. That's not ever the case. I need people to calmly explain what they want me to understand.

How can I get my family to understand my disability without seeming "over-dramatic" as my "sister" thinks I am?

NOTE: I'm putting sister in quotes because, even though we are related and directly share genes, I don't consider her my sister. Not anymore.

I try to tell my mum about my Aspergers not long ago since I just found out late last year but I think it just went over her head which you think she would be more understanding since my older brother has autism but your situation would be very difficult,unfortunately there a lot of people out there that are clueless about autism or they have the wrong perception about it,even my husband though is usually supportive will have these moments where he expects me to improve or somehow just not be me anymore,it's hard struggling with this yet alone having a family that doesn't get it.

New Threads

Top Bottom