• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Theremin Music therapy

kcq71

My son has this thing with his hands that he does and with the musical instrument you play it almost as if he were controlling or her would control the movement of the hands with the tone of the instrument it seems like to me that this would be a good therapy instrument for someone on the spectrum is there anyone out there that uses music therapy?

My son has this thing with his hands that he does and with the musical instrument you play it almost as if he were controlling or her would control the movement of the hands with the tone of the instrument it seems like to me that this would be a good therapy instrument for someone on the spectrum is there anyone out there that uses music therapy?
That is a fascinating idea! I have worked with a good deal of art and music therapist, but never heard of using a theremin! I think it’s a great idea and it could literally turn stereotypic movement into music.

I’m NOT suggesting the people in these videos are autistic, just really intrigued by the idea of theremin therapy.

I've never technically taken part in music therapy, but I got a degree in piano performance and the eight years I spent doing it was like some intense therapy.

Interesting thought... A good friend owns a theremin and often uses it in his performances, so I have seen it performed...

I am aware of art therapy and am convinced that it's a good thing, and there are many ways of expressing creativity... I'm just not sure how many theremins exist...

Interesting thought... A good friend owns a theremin and often uses it in his performances, so I have seen it performed...

I am aware of art therapy and am convinced that it's a good thing, and there are many ways of expressing creativity... I'm just not sure how many theremins exist...
True

My son has an ear for sound. He can hear a chime from a clock and play it on the piano never had a lesson. He stems a flapper I think it would do well for him in meditating this. What do you think?

A most unusual instrument, Doctor who, Star trek, I could see it being used for therapy. A lot of use do not like music with to much dissonance.

True

My son has an ear for sound. He can hear a chime from a clock and play it on the piano never had a lesson. He stems a flapper I think it would do well for him in meditating this. What do you think?

I'm not sure how to answer, I don't have much knowledge about this

I always wanted to try a theremin, but my wife is too creeped out by them.
It seems like it would be more intuitive, like singing, once you familiarized yourself with it.

I've always wanted to try a theremin and potentially design an instrument that works like that with gesture control!

People seem to say that certain instruments work therapeutically, although I have no idea whether that's true or not. I picked up a Tibetan singing bowl a few years ago in a creepy little town near me called Cassadaga (if you know, you know) just because I thought it looked really beautiful, but I guess 'legend' has it that it's super good for inducing trance-like states and meditation, which could be seen as therapeutic as well.

I'm not so sure about all of that, but it can't hurt to pretend! Still, trying to make a sample pack out of a one-note instrument is the greatest challenge I've ever faced in my life. It's right up there with my didgeridoo.

I have some really odd and unusual instruments but I've never tried a theremin. Super cool though!
Playing music, and listening to music, and making artwork, are very therapeutic for me.

I'm sure you could find a music therapist who uses instruments like that!

New Threads

Top Bottom