• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

the varing levels of self esteem

Warwick C

Earlier in the day I got around to thinking how your own self esteem effect so many aspects of an aspies life.

One thing I was wondering was that if you had a averge level of self esteem, compared to the normal outsider
would you be more resiliant to the ups and downs we feel. Also would a higher self esteem allow an aspie
to ask for help.

For me I think my self esteem is reasonably high now, to be able to offer heelp and to ask for help now.

The idea of the thread is to discuss self esteem and to get a lift from others

Motivational postive books, biographical quotes etc helped me in the past. Today I need to stay busy...everyday for me is a battle to raise my self-esteem. Via staying busy helps.

I have a good self-esteem overall, my major problem is when love and feelings enter in the my life, then it gets a little worse and I have to keep my kind busy to get it better.

I've become aware that high self-esteem does not necessarily result in confidence. I think you can be completely comfortable with yourself and know you have a lot to offer, but also have absolutely no confidence that you can share it as you believe others cannot see it.

I've always had low self-esteem, no doubt because of the years of abuse at home, at school and in my marriage. It's only been since my diagnosis a few months ago that I started to feel like I wasn't defective. You can not imagine the relief I felt when I finally knew why I was different, and had never fit in socially. Now that I accept my limitations and can enjoy my gifts, my life is so much better!

I didn't realize until a few years after my mother's death that she had been terribly emotionally abusive to me all my life, even after I graduated from college, became a teacher, got married and had my first child. I totally believed her while she was alive and constantly told me how terrible I was. I have very little self esteem and I blame all those years of abuse for making me this way. Also, I married and divorced a man who was every much as emotionally abusive to me as my mother had been. Add to that the fact that I learned while in my late 50s that I had prosopagnosia (I'm face blind), and that I have AS when I was in my 60s, and now, at almost 70, I don't even try to find any self esteem. All I want to do is be alone as much as possible so I won't piss anyone off and feel their disapproval. I am an alien in a hostile environment. My 2 cats and 1 dog are my major sources of happiness.

Had an abusive violent impoverished childhood that included abandonment. As a young adult my two parents moved away from my brothers and me & were hermits. If we saw them once a year we were lucky. REJECTION: every adult rejected me including friends of my parents + later relatives. The only person who accepted me for me was my middle brother.

Volunteering has always lifted me. Today there are some guys & women I stay in contact with, call them up, listen to their tales of woe and sometimes vice versa. Any kind of volunteering can lift one's soul. Helping others helps us too.

I suppose that is the difficult thing with the term self esteem, It is now used as a generalization. Maybe a better term I could have use is the inner being/soul of some one.
Howevere I find it fasinating to understand other people now. I also think you can mask how you are feeling as well. I was also thinking how it could influence someone with a disorder (eating/self harm).

I also think you can mask how you are feeling as well. I was also thinking how it could influence someone with a disorder (eating/self harm).

As someone who has an eating disorder, and has engaged in self-harm, I can tell you that every single woman who was in treatment with me felt ashamed of who they were. We tend to have extremely low self-esteem. That being said, the Anorexia and cutting was also a way to handle the anxiety and stress in my life. As you suggested Warwick, these behaviours can mask a lot of hidden pain.

I think different people can define "self esteem" in different ways, and have different ideas about what exactly it means.

That's true, Ste11aeres. Self-esteem, self-efficacy & self-confidence are different traits that can be tough to gauge. Self-efficacy tends to be domain-specific for instance, someone may be really great at fixing cars, or oil painting or soccer. They may be expert to genius even in a given field but have VERY low self-esteem. That can lead to very self-destructive behaviours & bouts of depression. Some people have no skills, have no real self-esteem but mask it behind brash & dashing self-confidence. They talk a great BS line & may talk & flatter themselves into important jobs & privileged positions-until one day someone checks them out more carefully & discovers that they are a bungling, incompetent poser. Some of these people may be psychopathic or sociopathic. Then, there are Narcissistic people. Some of them may have high self-efficacy in a number of fields, many are very smart BUT their self-esteem is extremely fragile, they cannot take even the slightest criticism & can be impossible to be around.

I think, too, that maybe some people with truly low self-esteem have been overly criticized from their childhood & made to feel like they cannot do anything right. This person may just give up on himself & be nervous about doing anything since they fear screwing it all up. As a teacher, I've had students like this & it is terribly sad. Many of these kids actually have high self-efficacy in a given area (math, writing...) BUT they cannot appreciate the quality of their own good work because some idiotic parent (who often thinks s/he is helping the kid improve) finds fault with all their school/homework. I can point out, very specifically, what they've done well BUT they start picking at the work finding flaws that are not even flaws!

As an older Aspie, I think there may be an advantage in that I have had a long time to assess my abilities based on RESULTS in real life & not what someone (either a flatterer or a critic) says. I know, in terms of self-efficacy, that I am a mediocre cook for food but a decent baker. I suck at dancing: I just do. I am very well organized & punctual, very logical & efficient. As far as self-esteem goes, mine is decent, BUT I did not grow up with abusive or dysfunctional parents: mine were very much like 1950s sitcom parents where mom had definite mommy roles & dad did the classic dad stuff.

It also helps to have a 'conventionally decent' appearance. Those standards vary depending upon the cultural context a person lives in. In many places, a person who is considered to be too fat here (& many face flak & have self-esteem issues related to weight) would be considered perfect & even gorgeous somewhere else. The same is true about many traits. Here, a 'normal' person is expected to be quite well educated. In some places, especially for women, you are values more for being fertile & a good home-maker so in such a cultural setting, a heavy-set woman with 5 kids & little education might have no self-esteem issues whatsoever! So much depends, unfortunately, on the messages a person receives from their family, their culture & society in general!

Soup: I think your post is very well written. I was sort of thinking along the same lines, but unable to word as well as you have. You make me proud to be a fellow aspie.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom