• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Uninformed [or; damn, how they patrionize]

gamers1700

Dunno how to start this off, so I'll just post from personal experience.

Even for Aspie adults, I have noticed that when you bring someone along to choose something out with you that when they have an opinion, the person who's selling the product/giving information will:

A) Talk to you like they know not only how to talk to someone who's "retarded", but will talk to the person that came with you as if they're your guardian or something, and in the way you would want them to talk to you.

B) If you're the one paying for something (like glasses), than when the other person *AHEM* parent/friend/whatever *AHEM* who interjects their opinion will always seem to get the picks that they want, even though you may have flat out disagreed.

C) When you put your foot down, the person responding will almost always look visibly uncomfortable when you assert your right to do and choose as you please, and they know damn well that they're legally inclined to get your permission on the matter if it's pertaining to a purchase; but will always look for help from the person who came with you as if their expecting some sort of legal prevalence that says that you can't choose for yourself, and get even MORE uncomfortable when they realize that not only does the person that came to you usually by this point have an uncomfortable look to them, but than they seem hesitant to serve your request.

Personally, I think that proper instruction in the customer service industry needs to be implemented to avoid this, but at the same time it's kinda funny watching their ignorance make them seem so helpless. If they knew enough to treat you like a 'regular' customer, than imagine how often this could be avoided. :rofl:

Anyway, share your own examples.

OMG, thank you for starting this thread. I didn't have the nerve to start it myself.

The first thing in your list has DEFINITELY happened to me, several times. Maybe the second too.

It's so embarrassing to admit that they did this to you that you don't even want to talk about it, so you can't bring the problem up so that it can be corrected. They have you in a double bind. Eventually I can't take it anymore tho and I start crying and someone asks what's wrong and I tell them. In the case of my mother, she always either assures me how that didn't happen at all (explains HOW) or reminds me that she told the offender that I have custody of myself (and she had told the offender that I do; I remember).

Oh, and let me add that at times this kind of thing makes me suicidal. If it really happened to me, if I ever lost custody of myself, it would be a bloodbath. It really would be. If there was no way to get away and change my name and appearance and get new ID, I would really have no choice.

New Threads

Top Bottom