• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Time Change and Those on the Spectrum

Is there a particular political party that would favor it? Or how would people go about changing the federal government to allow it? Is that possible? I don't know much about politics so I'm not entirely sure if those were good questions...

Is there a particular political party that would favor it? Or how would people go about changing the federal government to allow it? Is that possible? I don't know much about politics so I'm not entirely sure if those were good questions...

From my state's perspective, it's all up to Congress. Which has chosen to do nothing so far.

"In 2015, the Nevada Senate passed Nevada Assembly Joint Resolution 4, which urged Congress to enact legislation allowing individual states to establish daylight saving time as the standard time in their respective states throughout the calendar year. This would mean that Nevada is on the same time as Arizona all year, but would be an hour ahead of California in the winter. The United States Congress has not yet enacted any enabling legislation in this regard."

Daylight saving time in the United States - Wikipedia

In a nutshell for a variety of reasons, select congressional committees can be incredibly capricious in whether they are willing or not to help a state, a party or a special interest, whomever they might be.

Though I do know there are powerful special interests in broadcast media who will do everything in their power to lobby against such changes on a countrywide basis.

Last edited:
California is voting today on a proposition related to DST!

"A YES Vote Means: The Legislature, with a two-thirds vote, could change daylight saving time if the change is allowed by the federal government. Absent any legislative change, California would maintain its current daylight saving time period (early March to early November)."

I'll bet they wish they could have voted on that 3 days ago. ;-)

I change my wrist watch but leave the wall clocks.

Initially an observation, my cats and dogs would display meal time behaviour within 10 minutes (either side) of their usual meal times regardless of time displayed on clocks during the changes.

Eventually natural daylight is ignored and they take their cues from family routines.

Until the clocks change once more and we go through it all yet again.

I can’t state I have any feelings about the time changing.
Perhaps we’d end up with more than a spare 6hrs each year if we didn’t ?

I believe almost EVERYBODY hates DST, not just people on the spectrum. The woman I babysit for was just saying last night how much she hates it. I think they should just make the whole year back and hour (or do I mean forward an hour?) so that it stays light out later all the time.

I agree, I'd prefer the nonstandard time when it stays daylight longer, year round. At least I can accomplish more outside after work, and it's not dark when most of us drive home so it's safer too. I always figured the time change was about the money. When it is light for later in the evenings in the summer when the weather is nice, people out spending more money. Other than that, it's still light when I go to work, and light well into the summer evenings, time change or not. And farmers don't care what the clock says, they work sun up to sun down.

This year was borderline for me. I usually like the extra hour in the fall. But I was NOT wanting an extra long night in the hospital after being there almost 3 weeks. Thankfully they let me out the evening before the time change therefore I could enjoy that extra hour at home.

upload_2018-12-15_8-2-33.png

Most of us go through the twice-yearly changing of the clock - winding it forward an hour during summertime and winding it back an hour during wintertime.

The question I'm asking is, should we stop this practice altogether and just leave the clocks alone in their summer hours instead of changing them twice a year?

For me personally, I'd be happy if we just left it in Summertime hours; I hate having to come out of work at 4'o'clock and have a two hour journey home in pitch black, especially as my workplace is in a part of my hometown which has far from a positive reputation.
If the summertime hours were still being used, I'd feel a bit more comfortable as the majority of my journey would still be in the daylight, even up to December 21st.

However, that's just my opinion and I'm interested to hear what you guys have to say.

Here's two news articles on the subject:
Daily Express - UK could SCRAP clock change from 2019 in DRASTIC plan proposed by EU
Independent - EU set to stop countries turning clocks back and forwards for daylight saving

My state has been formally attempting to abandon daylight savings time for I think what amounts to the last three years. Unfortunately such legislation remains in control of our federal government, who in their infinite wisdom has simply "shelved" our request. :mad:

Though I know the insurance lobby continues to influence legislators in maintaining the status quo, with emphasis on early morning daylight relative to traffic accidents when the most people are on the road at the same time.

Yes, if only to make people stop whining, moaning and bellyaching about it and annoying the heck out of me twice a year. Of course, they'll quickly find something else dumb and pointless to moan about.

Of course, they'll quickly find something else dumb and pointless to moan about.

How about these people - For several days, after clocks are changed, when you mention the time there is always someone that says; "Yea! But the time is really.....blah, blah, blah". :rolleyes:

I would welcome it - as long as it's the summer time they decide to keep, not the winter one.

A poll for this thread would be good.

I think another problem I have with the clock changes is that, in the past, we're reminded by having a Fire Safety advert that tells us to check our smoke alarms at the same time.
Now don't get me wrong, fire safety is important - especially if you've got kids around - but, taking into account that I live in the UK, some of the adverts they show that tell you to check your smoke alarm when the time comes to change the clocks can be pretty intense.

This one isn't too bad - it's straight to the point and I like the effect they have on the clock. Also, I like the noise from the clock melting in the heat.

However, this one just gets to me:

New Threads

Top Bottom