• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Theorem

Ylva

V.I.P Member
So, I was a huge fan of the theory that we are different because of additional Cro Magnon genes. It seemed plausible; it would have made for a big enough difference.

Then I read this book on fetal development, and partially changed my mind. To summarize, the book says that a "Memory Block" develops in the fetal brain that causes it to forget things it learns, i.e. "the uterine wall is hot". As such, it would touch the wall of the uterus several times, thus developing reflexes. In some cases, when the mother's health/the strength of her immune system falls below a certain level, this memory block fails to develop, and so for instance the fetus learns that the wall of the uterus is hot, and does not touch it again, never developing those reflexes.

That would at least explain a lot. So much for learning "disorder".

You mean "social" learning disorder. Ours is not an IQ or logic issue but a sensory and social phenomenon. We struggle to understand and respond to non verbal, social communication and we have peculiar sensitivities to sound and touch. Have you done any reading yet on actual brain structure or brain waves which is interesting?

So, I was a huge fan of the theory that we are different because of additional Cro Magnon genes. It seemed plausible; it would have made for a big enough difference.

Then I read this book on fetal development, and partially changed my mind. To summarize, the book says that a "Memory Block" develops in the fetal brain that causes it to forget things it learns, i.e. "the uterine wall is hot". As such, it would touch the wall of the uterus several times, thus developing reflexes. In some cases, when the mother's health/the strength of her immune system falls below a certain level, this memory block fails to develop, and so for instance the fetus learns that the wall of the uterus is hot, and does not touch it again, never developing those reflexes.

That would at least explain a lot. So much for learning "disorder".

Only the memory block, which wholly or partially fails to develop. My "social learning disorder" manifests in not finding other people quite as interesting as other people do. No idea what brain waves would have to do with it?

What is the name of this book (and is it available in English)? I have to confess a fair amount of skepticism here. I would be interested to see the research that has been done in support of both the Cro Magnon theory and the "Memory Block" we are discussing here.

"The Theorem" by Douglas M. Arone. There is a chapter on autism in part two.

New Threads

Top Bottom