• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

the state of console gaming

That doesn't surprise me.

If y'all had their perspective on the inside, I suspect many of you would not buy any software entertainment products out of general principle. I have to admit, while I loved the job (website design) it left me not being so enthusiastic about computer games. Though much of my bias to date remains based on compatibility issues. :eek:

I still recall my supervisor (Director of Public Relations-Marketing) when I told her I bought one of our software games and that I applied for the rebate and got it. She thought that was hysterical. And how she emphasized that it's not about a buggy product going out the door that needs patching, but rather fulfilling quarterly expectations of shareholders.

I'm inclined to think the bigger the name in the business, the less they are likely to seriously consider their customers.

There was a time when you could read all about such things on a website called "Fat Babies dot com". Of course the systems admin eventually blocked us from reading- or posting to it on company premises.

Fatbabies.com - the site for game developers to "express" themselves - Ars Technica OpenForum

Last edited:
Eh, it's not employment really. I was just a contractor, and then I started doing it on a volunteer basis (the dev has been having a bad time as money goes). The hours are "whenever I bloody well feel like it". Unless there's something that desperately needs fixing that is.

As for fighting games... ya know, there was a time when Guilty Gear was a big thing. Really darned big. That was back in the PS2 era. Lots of people played it, everyone knew the characters (particularly Bridget, who isnt even in the new games, because argh argh argh) and it did very well.

Aaaaaaaand then the publisher completely screwed it into oblivion. They basically pulled a "corporate asshat" type move, utterly preventing the series from appearing *at all* during the PS3 era.

Now? It's just been too long. Blazblue happened, as did Persona, and as for GG, well... the PS2 is old enough to be considered "retro" by some people. As far as I'm concerned, the series died when the PS2 did. As far as I'm concerned, it's also still dead. I honestly dont count the new ones at all. Still dead to me. Blazblue, Persona, and now DBZ Fighterz are Arc's current games.

It's not just that though. You can also thank Capcom and their overly flashy 3D Street Fighter games. They're graphical powerhouses but also MUUUUUUCH easier to get into than Arc's games, so they are the ones that suck in the most players. Easy spectacle for easy money and attention.

Well, at least it would be good on a resume. And if you decided to make your own game from scratch and if they got the time they would be more likely to help you out.

Forgot which Blazblue i played but it sucked in comparison couldn't get into it. I really hope they polished the mechanics more in the upcoming cross tag... doubtful though since the main selling point of this is that it's a cross over. With tons of expensive DLC... Trying to pull in new customers by appealing to the fans of those games and shows.

As for DBZ and MVC that's what sucks about it now. It's too damn easy. You hit the skill cap / mastery really quick then it just becomes a matter of who pulls off their easily executed kill combo first. Oh, 1-2 frames is too hard?! Here ya go players, here are 3-10 frames to execute your moves!!

A likely non-subjective poll, but the results are amusing nevertheless.

"America's Most Hated Companies". Look who comes in ranked fifth overall.

America's most hated companies
Well Electronic Arts (EA) been around since early 8 bit gaming from 1982 and they've certainly bought out some excellent classic titles over the years.

Their EA Sports game series however are often released every year for each sport and if you brought the previous year's release on the same system you are effectively paying full price again just for a game update. Unless it's released on a new system they only add and improve the new release slightly each year, which means you only usually notice a big difference if you compare a version from a few years back, especially in more recent years, apart from updated players / names. For instance FIFA International Soccer was first released in 1993, then they released FIFA 95 and since then there's been at least one new FIFA release every single year, in fact in some years they've even had additional releases to cover the World Cup, again at full price, you can see bigger differences in the very early years and huge differences as they jump a console gen, but in more recent years the differences have been a lot less noticeable each year. Obviously the development time for a new release on the same system is only minimal compared to bringing out a whole new game, so they're onto a really good thing and I think it's really mean on their loyal customers charging them full price every single time. They should have a loyalty scheme where people only pay an upgrade price if they own a previous version from the previous year on the same system and the World Cup releases aren't much more than a DLC, they definitely shouldn't be charging people who have bought the previous release the full price yet again. EA aren't the only company to do similar however, for instance Codemasters have been doing the same with their F1 series of games starting with F1 2009 with F1 2017 the latest at the time of writing with F1 2018 imminent.

Last edited:
Well, at least it would be good on a resume. And if you decided to make your own game from scratch and if they got the time they would be more likely to help you out.

Forgot which Blazblue i played but it sucked in comparison couldn't get into it. I really hope they polished the mechanics more in the upcoming cross tag... doubtful though since the main selling point of this is that it's a cross over. With tons of expensive DLC... Trying to pull in new customers by appealing to the fans of those games and shows.

As for DBZ and MVC that's what sucks about it now. It's too damn easy. You hit the skill cap / mastery really quick then it just becomes a matter of who pulls off their easily executed kill combo first. Oh, 1-2 frames is too hard?! Here ya go players, here are 3-10 frames to execute your moves!!

Hm? Blazblue has almost the exact same mechanics as GG though. AND they're more polished. The entire reason BB exists is because Arc was unable to use the GG license due to publisher jackassery. In a way, BB *is* the continuation of GG. Like I said, I dont even count the existence of the recent GG games, and I say this as a fan of the series as a whole.

All of the same mechanics are there in BB, but more refined. All of them. EXCEPT the "false cancel", which is good, because that was awful. What a terrible mechanic that was. I'm glad they havent done THAT again.

But as for the bit about the skill cap, frankly I think you have it wrong. But then, this is something I've seen within the fighting game community as well. There's this bizarre idea that everything revolves around these extremely technical aspects of the game. Kinda like the idea that everyone needs to memorize frame data in order to get anywhere. Honestly, that's something I've had a chance to completely disprove, time and time again. I dont bother with frame data. I also dont bother with perfect execution. I use a controller, not a stick (though that bit doesnt actually matter). I dont even use the damn training mode to practice combos, because it's boring, so my combos come out disjointed. On top of that, they're *mine*, which is to say, I didnt learn the "best" ones from some damn site, nor do I copy them from players in Japan or something. I come up with them as I go. Even in the old Guilty Gear series, supposedly the hardest of all fighting games. Theoretically, according to the FGC, these should be big problems. But... that doesnt matter. Even against very high level players, chances are, I'm still the one winning. Been there a thousand times, done it a thousand times... it's not even exciting anymore. It's not the techy aspects that create a skill ceiling. It's what you DO with all of it, that creates it, and I figured that one out a long time ago. That's how it always is, but so many players cant see it. I cant count the sheer number of opponents I've encountered over the years who try the same bloody things against me with the same damn techniques, unable to adapt, and then they wonder why they lost so harshly, and then they get so very, very frustrated. One way I like to put it is: "All of that frame data and combo memorization doesnt matter one bit, if you cant hit your opponent." In other words, they get so focused on the techy crap that they completely miss everything else, and they never see that. Lacking this understanding is part of the reason why they lose so easily. They HAVE hit a skill ceiling, but it's their own, not the game's. Most players assume it's the game's fault though.

Not to mention that ease of execution also doesnt really factor into skill as much as people think. Simply executing a combo with proper timing isnt so much skill as it is the simple use of muscle memory. It's a bit of a braindead process formed out of pure repetition rather than application of skill, regardless of just how many frames you have to do things in. The combo is still the same combo regardless of that. If you get hit by it, it doesnt matter that the other guy had X frames to do such and such action... what matters is the bit where you let yourself get hit by it. And what matters on THEIR end isnt just repeating the motions... again, not actually that hard... but instead, knowing when to use the thing in the first place.

I've played DBZ enough now to see that the actual skill ceiling is still as high as it ever is with Arc's games (as long as busted combos are dealt with, I'll get to that in a moment). All of their usual design philosophies are there, albeit with a few twists. However, I'm expecting most players to make the same damn mistakes that I've gotten so tired of by this point. Hell, I actually dont play these as often as I used to entirely BECAUSE I got tired of watching that happen... that's how frequent it is. And I've been doing this for a LONG time.

Now, that being said, the bit you said about the "kill combo" (I call them "infinites") is true in some games. It's simply a broken combo that can be endlessly repeated in a single go, and something like MvC isnt exactly the first to do it. MOST fighting games encounter these to a degree. And they're actually WORSE in other fighters. In MvC, even the most broken combo can only defeat one out of three characters when it hits. You still have to knock out the other two. But in any other fighter, it just outright ends the entire round. Hell, even freaking Smash Bros has encountered these a few times. (though the end effect is a little different in that series).

One reason why I stick with Arc's games though: Unlike Capcom, they actually put effort into dealing with this. Capcom usually just leaves the damn things in there (also, they tend to have ALOT of them). Arc doesnt, because they recognize that it breaks the game as a whole. If things are broken, that's less fun for the players, and less fun means a player base less likely to keep buying. If there are any broken combos right now in DBZ, they arent likely to remain in the game for long, because it'll drive players away. Being that the game hasnt been around long, I expect there are a few wonky issues here and there, that's always how it goes.

This has gone way too far and more people should start supporting companies that charge a reasonable amount for their games without all the "optional" extras that you need in order to truly own the entire game
Would you support companys with more focus on game support through the years (Better Game life) ?
I don't know - just heard about old code being useless for remastering.

I'd pay extra to know my old games still work 10-20 years later

Little tangent ?

Would you support companys with more focus on game support through the years (Better Game life) ?
I don't know - just heard about old code being useless for remastering.

I'd pay extra to know my old games still work 10-20 years later

Little tangent ?
It's different if they're developing and improving the game as time goes on over a long period of time, however with a few exceptions like MMORPGs (there's still not as many on consoles) this is more often a PC thing, but unfortunately there's also in my opinion too many unfinished and bug ridden Early Access games on the PC that are never completed, sometimes the developers can even lose interest and worse still move onto another project which of course they sell in Early Access yet again, some developers are better than others however. There are also a few genuine future paid expansions that can be worth buying if they have a significant amount of content and they weren't just removed from the originally intended complete game in order to make extra money by selling a "season pass" on top of the original game price. For instance it's okay when a game becomes very popular and due to overwhelming demand the developer later decides to start working on a new paid expansion to bring out as a follow up to the original base game.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom