• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Sentence No One Should Ever Say

KevinMao133

“He/ she knows nothing.”

Never say that sentence, never even give it a thought

When you consistently think someone is dumb or a step beneath you, it’s time to reflect

When you consistently put labels on people you don’t know, maybe it’s because you are the one who’s at fault

Never claim others are ignorant. No one is, others just know something you don’t, like I know something they don’t

Just my two cents

I've come to believe this lately as well. I can see the hidden wisdom, talents and knowledge in just about every person, regardless of what they put on display or think about themselves. Also, I think this kind of increases your vibrations because it's a mirror through which you can begin to see yourself differently, too.

We all know something is ok though. I'm pretty sure. Others have plenty of wisdom, I agree, yet also we are all uneven. A mix . We learn as we experience things. We are all a work in progress.

the trick is wisdom and intelligence are separate.
knowledge + experience = wisdom

Even that isn't 100% true. If the experience element is quite narrow,...then that wisdom is equally narrow. Example: Life experience and wisdom being a farmer living in the Great Plains of America does not translate to growing plants in an apartment in New York City,...even if both people have PhDs in agricultural sciences from the same prestigious university.

This is why you need a rather diverse group of people around you,...each with their own intelligences and experiences. Living in a "bubble" is never a good thing.

Last edited:
What can one say about those who practice deliberate ignorance? They possess intellect, yet deliberatly refuse to use it for fear of what? The exposure to ideas that would create cognitive dissonance? Afraid of losing their authority?

I find the deliberately ignorant to be so far beyond the malediction of stupid that I know no name strong enough to match such degenerate thinking.

What can one say about those who practice deliberate ignorance? They possess intellect, yet deliberatly refuse to use it for fear of what? The exposure to ideas that would create cognitive dissonance? Afraid of losing their authority?

I find the deliberately ignorant to be so far beyond the malediction of stupid that I know no name strong enough to match such degenerate thinking.
This is sort of a taboo topic. This crosses over the socio-religious and socio-political landscapes,...as well as, individuals who are susceptible to conspiracy theories. Cognitive dissonance certainly appears to be a psychological condition,...that may, in some cases, have some underlying neuro-anatomical foundations.

There is some neuroimaging studies to suggest that the amygdala of the aforementioned people may be significantly larger than that of others,...you mentioned fear,...the amygdala being "the fear center".

The prefrontal cortex, in part, is as we know, the part of the brain that also is responsible for cognitive empathy,...you mentioned living in a "bubble" and purposely limiting themselves to exposure to new ideas. Psychologically, one is solidifying their "personal truths" as "fact" and "wisdom",...and anything that challenges that with what they know is threatening to "their truth". So, as a means of creating a "safe space", they only associate with others with similar personal truths,...tribalistic behaviors. "Others" and "other ideas" become a threat. This significantly affects the cognitive empathy and an ability to understand different perspectives and contexts.

So, there is some similarity with some autism variants,...but I don't see a lot of autistics that present with the sorts of things you speak of. Granted, a few do. Perhaps, because many autistics tend to be more socially isolated for one reason or another,...and tend to be more independent thinkers.

Maybe we shouldn't be so terrified of being imperfect instead. Or put ourselves on such a pedestal that the suggestion we don't know something is insulting. Obviously claiming someone knows absolutely nothing (lol) is intended as nothing but disrespect, but ignorance should be pointed out when relevant. We're all ignorant.

Pathological elitism based on scientific theories and religions one does not understand is a shaky premise for citing stupidity.

A better example of stupidity, in my opinion, is a full grown man who believes a particular race is inferior.

“He/ she knows nothing.”

Never say that sentence, never even give it a thought

Why not? It's a figure of speech that merely expresses an opinion that a person doesn't know much about a particular topic. I know I'm not perfect so it doesn't bother me at all when people express that reality.

When you consistently think someone is dumb or a step beneath you, it’s time to reflect

It's a fact that some people are less intelligent or less knowledgeable than others so what's wrong with believing it?

When you consistently put labels on people you don’t know, maybe it’s because you are the one who’s at fault

I think it's human nature to label people or group people into categories to make it easier to understand and relate to people. I've never met anyone who doesn't do it. Would you be comfortable meeting someone wanted for murdering many people or would you label him a violent criminal and seek to avoid him?

Never claim others are ignorant. No one is, others just know something you don’t, like I know something they don’t

When people say other people are ignorant, they just mean they aren't knowledgable about the particular topic under discussion. I'm ignorant about some topics and it doesn't bother me when people remind me of it since no one is knowledgable about everything.

Why should the majority of people, who aren't bothered by the statements you mentioned, have to learn to use politically correct language because a small minority of people interpret everything more negatively than intended and misinterpret clear speech that everyone else understands because of it?

Good question. They are perpetual victims who require safe spaces because their divisive leaders convinced them the sky is always falling (Covid hysteria, climate change), that everyone is out to get them (racism is everywhere), and that people control their emotions simply by disagreeing with them.

They possess intellect, yet deliberately refuse to use it for fear of what? The exposure to ideas that might hurt their feelings? Afraid of losing their sense of superiority that allows them to puff themselves up with pride and look down on the backwards, "anti-science", deplorables who disagree with them to compensate for their low self-esteem and social isolation?

However, instead of labeling people who disagree with me as deliberately ignorant, degenerate, and stupid, I look to them with compassion since I believe they are just misinformed. I seek to help them understand their emotions and improve their thinking so they can use their critical thinking skills to think for themselves and enjoy their lives.

I feel like the flip side to "they know/understand nothing" is "they understand everything" I work in an SEN school and I regularly hear both and both are equally damaging. One leads to people not being pushed to their full potential the other leads to unrealistic expectations not to mention that neither is true we all no something even if its just recognising familiar words or sounds but we all have limitations. If my engineer brother came in talking all his engineering talk I wouldn't understand a word. So often I have bright but non verbal students and I'm told by other members of staff "oh they understand everything" and then staff are baffled when they're not doing as they're told when instructions aren't simplified at all for them.

It is unfathomable to me that anyone could be alive in 2022 and not think climate change is real.

The climate has been changing for thousands of years. I was referring to the hysterics and alarmism of climate change propaganda that sea levels would rise and wipe out the coasts, that we'd have to flee to Mars if the Earth got a few degrees hotter, and that the only way to prevent it is to give politicians an enormous amount of money to fight it.

I agree that climate change is certainly a problem but the scientific evidence suggests it's not nearly as extreme as some of the propaganda suggests. It's also much cheaper to adapt to it as it occurs than massively raise taxes and sacrifice our way of life to try to completely prevent it.

Regarding the climate change topic. I am more of the "I am not sure how this is really going to affect my life, but I will do my part to minimize my potential contributions." Time will tell and it may be a few more decades of "adapt and overcome", or something else. I know something is happening, no doubt, but what the end results will be is not clear.

The climate has been changing for thousands of years. I was referring to the hysterics and alarmism of climate change propaganda that sea levels would rise and wipe out the coasts, that we'd have to flee to Mars if the Earth got a few degrees hotter, and that the only way to prevent it is to give politicians an enormous amount of money to fight it.

I agree that climate change is certainly a problem but the scientific evidence suggests it's not nearly as extreme as some of the propaganda suggests. It's also much cheaper to adapt to it as it occurs than massively raise taxes and sacrifice our way of life to try to completely prevent it.
What you say sounds like a Gish Gallop, piling on truthy sounding statements that take a lot to refute, but are wrong. Yes, there has been climate fluctuations for thousands of years, yet human civilization has developed in a period of basic climate stability. You look further, and wherever you see extinction level events, they are associated with flood basalts, the Siberian traps, the Central Atlantic Magmatic Province, the Deccan Traps. All of these are associated with the rapid introduction of CO2 into the atmosphere, as we are doing. We are already seeing positive reinforcing that has led to climatic effects that are occuring much faster than models predict, and those models that you say is propaganda are far more conservative than the climate forcing weather extremes we are currently experiencing. Infrastructure is not built to be hardened against wide extremes that a warming earth will create. In my lifetime I nearly saw the loss of the Old River Control Structure which will severely impact NOLA. The weather events from an atmosphere that carries more moisture, if impacting the Mississippi River basin, as it has impacted other areas, that I expect in the future, will breach the ORCS and the river WILL change its course to the Achalafaya basin. Food production is already being severely stressed by changes to precipitation, snowpack and warming in agricultural areas. Winter wheat production is already under stress. The National Center for Biotechnology Information already has shown reduced production of wheat due to climate produced yield decline rather than crop abandonment.

I fear you have been influenced by denialist propaganda rather than a realistic examination of all the data and like many deniers offer a simplistic dichotomy of doing nothing because we will adapt, which we have already failed to do. I have seen creationists do that by offering a niggling contrarian element thinking that the whole edifice of natural law by experts can be swept away. If the average global temperature exceeds 2.0 C, we will truly be in civilization-killing territory.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom