• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The One Person Henna Party

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Many of you know of my obsession with the natural world. I am quite passionate about discovering and mastering the use, whether medicinal, edible, or otherwise for every plant I catalogue.

I really, really enjoy playing with Lawsonia Internmis, otherwise known as Henna.

Naturally, my hair is strawberry blonde, and it looks sort of copper in the sunshine, but there's a lot of silver in it too. I have two "Mrs. Munster" streaks down my temples. I like to play with my hair's color and tint it bright red. So I've been playing with henna, about once every six to eight months. It stains the hair, under the cuticle, and naturally fades over the course of a few months.

Henna is a lot of fun. I buy the ground leaves, and mix them with vinegar, water, and other fun herbs to create different tints. Anything from blond to red to purple or black can be achieved with henna, depending on what you mix it with. This time, I just used plain water and white vinegar. I left it on for only 1.5 hours, but the average person leaves it on 3-8 hours.

It's a great hair and scalp conditioner. Many people with dandruff, psoriasis, or frizzy hair report that henna softens their hair and heals their scalp. And I think it's pretty too.

Here is my catalogue of tonight's henna party.

Before
henna1.jpg

During
henna2.jpg

Just After Rinsing
henna3.jpg

I will update with how it looks after it dries.

Lawsone, the active plant molicule in Henna, oxidizes over the course of several days, so I will update with how the color changes during that time. It starts out as vibrantly orange, but by day three, it tones down to a natural reddish brown. I'll update with those changes as well.

During cancer treatment, I lost my hair five times, and I was ridiculed a lot for being bald. It was very traumatic. Henna is a way of celebrating the fact that the thing which was gone, has come back, and life can return to normal.

Last edited:
Here is my hair all dried. My front-facing camera is kind of crummy, so it looks like one side is lighter than the other, but actually, it's all the same.

henna4.jpg

Before

henna1.jpg

After

henna4.jpg

I think they both look pretty. And the nice thing about henna is that it will fade, gently and slowly, back to your natural hair color.

It looks really nice! Like a natural nutmeg/cinnamon color. I used henna before too. It is fun and doesn't damage the hair.

The only time I have seen henna used was by some of the henna artists at the souk in Marrakech.
I have several Muslim lady friends, and when there is a wedding or a baby shower, we get together, drink spicy milk tea, and one of my very talented friends does all of our hands. It's quite pretty, I think.

That's very cool that you use the natural products like that. I suspect that one of the reasons my mom got lymphoma is from chemical hair dyes for years.

I thought henna can be harmful. Or is that something that's been debunked?

That's very cool that you use the natural products like that. I suspect that one of the reasons my mom got lymphoma is from chemical hair dyes for years.

I thought henna can be harmful. Or is that something that's been debunked?
There are weird, synthetic henna creams that are just chock full of awful chemicals. But no one in the US, that I know of, has really sold those for at least twenty years.

Nowadays, you can easily buy just the ground up leaves, you can even get it organic. That's all you need to dye your hair. You can buy it at Whole Foods, even.

I also like plants. When I was in kindergarten my caretaker told mom that i know every plant on the hill once we went out with the class to the forest side.

I've never tried Henna.

Before

View attachment 84926

After

View attachment 84927

I think they both look pretty. And the nice thing about henna is that it will fade, gently and slowly, back to your natural hair color.
It looks really good and pretty bright, especially if the hair tends to be light there. Let us know how long it lasts.

This is the brand I buy. It's called "Rainbow Henna". I buy the "Red" henna, which is just the Lawsonia Internmis ground leaf without any other tinting herbs mixed in. If I want to change the effect, I like to mix in herbs myself. But they have a variety of pre-mixed colors, all made from only ground up plants.

You mix the leaf powder with enough liquid to form sort of a cake-batter consistency and plop it on your hair. You have to put on a showercap so it doesn't drip, as it'll be on your hair for several hours.

One thing about henna though, since it's a natural stain that absorbs under the hair cuticle, it's really hard to bleach out, and it doesn't lighten hair, usually, unless you know a couple tricks (lemon juice- hint hint). It also tends to relax tight curls.

Anyway, you can get two 4 oz tubs of henna (enough for two different treatments of short hair, or one treatment for very long hair) for like $12 on Amazon, depending on the seller.

I think it's wonderful good fun.

1662571926739.png

This is the tub it comes in. It used to be called "Persian Red". In fact all the colors had different Middle Eastern, ethnic names. But in the past couple years, they've decided to "do better", and stop including the names of people groups into their products. Now they just call it Red.

1662572208321.png

Last edited:
How to Make Henna (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Reminds me of how I mix Turmeric powder with milk for content release and absorbtion digestively and for face masks. Milk offers 2 things to Turmeric in making it better, one of them fat which makes it soluble.

Then again, everything I drink I put on my face, lol. Vitamin C, clay, green barley, hydrolized collagen, lavender, swedish bitter [a mix of a huge amount of plant extracts in alcohol, it's great for the place around the eyes as it keeps it oil-free and lessens fat granules and also before massaging cream as it softens skin and facilitates absorbtion].

Last edited:
I've got herbs on my hair today, under a couple shower caps to keep it all contained. But it's not henna. It's a combination of Vitamin C powder, Yogurt, Lemon Juice, Vinegar, and these ground up herbs, known for their haircoloring and conditioning properties: Chamomile, Lemon and Orange Peels, Blackberry Leaves, and Hibiscus.

I'm hoping it'll lighten the henna a little (put highlights in) and also brighten and sort of rosy-tint my grown in roots.

How to Make Henna (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Reminds me of how I mix Turmeric powder with milk for content release and absorbtion digestively and for face masks. Milk offers 2 things to Turmeric in making it better, one of them fat which makes it soluble.

Then again, everything I drink I put on my face, lol. Vitamin C, clay, green barley, hydrolized collagen, lavender, swedish bitter [a mix of a huge amount of plant extracts in alcohol, it's great for the place around the eyes as it keeps it oil-free and lessens fat granules and also before massaging cream as it softens skin and facilitates absorbtion].
I am a Christian, but years ago, when I was a Hare Krishna, I used to sometimes bathe with a little Turmeric in the bath water. It would stain my body with a slightly golden hue, but I liked that. I was going for a "golden avatar" type look.

Does the Turmeric in the face mask stain your skin?

This November I am treating my adventurous niece to Morocco. While it is a geology trip I plan to stay an extra day to go to the souk in Marakech. There if she wants I will treat her to a henna artist and their fabulous designs.

Such a great post. I mentioned my henna experience when my hair turned so black, it took about 3 attempts by my hairdresser to tone it down for paralegal job interview which l did get.

I am a Christian, but years ago, when I was a Hare Krishna, I used to sometimes bathe with a little Turmeric in the bath water. It would stain my body with a slightly golden hue, but I liked that. I was going for a "golden avatar" type look.

Does the Turmeric in the face mask stain your skin?
Not really, maybe not noticeable anyway, maybe just 5-10 minutes wouldnt count, but I wash thoroughly because the powder is dangerous for the eyes, if it gets in it's trouble.

New Threads

Top Bottom