• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Movie Gravity

bentHnau

Exploding Radical
This movie is about a year old I guess, but I just recently saw it. What did you think of it? I liked it except for Sandra Bullock's blubbering. I mean, being scared for her life, that's expected, but crying and blabbering about nobody mourning or praying for her after she's gone? WTF? NASA doesn't just let anyone into space; I suspect that someone that emotional would have been weeded out, especially since she crashed during EVERY SINGLE ONE of her flight simulations.

Coincidentally, after being asked what she liked about space, she responded that she liked the silence. That is something I loved about this movie. I think that the silence paints a more moving and realistic view of space than any musical score could ever do. It is an alien environment, and music humanizes it too much.

Overall, I think that it was well done, but I don't understand the positive reviews of Sandra Bullock's acting. Maybe the movie critics were looking for something touching, while I was looking for something realistic.

Sure, but not realistic, you said that you were looking for something realistic, so why that question?

Oh. I didn't know that astronauts usually had more clothes on under their space suits. I guess it makes sense since it's so cold in space.

To anyone who was intrigued by GRAVITY, I recommend CHILDREN OF MEN. It's by pretty much the same people, the cinematography is incredible, and it might be the best thriller I have ever seen. There is one scene in particular, done entirely in one ingenious shot, that is so jarring it pulls you right in. Like GRAVITY, it relies on a very long, wide-angle shot that contribute to the dramatic tension.

As per the inaccuracies in GRAVITY, yes, there are many. For one, there is rarely, if ever, more than one person on a spacewalk at any given time. And, while the timing of the debris is accurate, its visual representation is inaccurate, but I guess that was necessary for dramatic impact.

I didn't care for Sandra Bullock's performance either, but considering how awful the script was, how little she has to work with, I can find no reason to hold it against her.
I did love that final scene where she reaches land and it takes all her effort to crawl towards land, after being in zero g for so long.

Gravity is a drama film, not an action, so it's focused on the emotional experience (classified as a thriller, but someone was asleep at their desk that day).

I wish there was more science fiction that focused on how humans relate to space and exploration. I think there's a similar film coming out soon: Interstellar.

New Threads

Top Bottom