• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Man Drawer...

I have both a junk drawer as I call it, full of mixed stuff you never know when you might need some of it.
Plus a few organised drawers in the same room...the kitchen.
Men and women both tend to do this. At least I and the people I have lived with have.

I do also have a solitude, get away from it all room that I take advantage of a lot.
Maybe you could call it an autistic room. When things get overwhelming or I want to chill out and
meditate I go there often. I even hang one of those will be back at a certain time clock signs on the door!

Maybe man drawer comes about when you can't have a full on man cave. But l remember back in the day, when told dad is in his office (loo).
no no not in the north east of England There is the man draw and the shed but it depends on how financially Wealthy you are, I think especially with my family who were all Neuro diverse, we had cupboards couldn’t contain it in a drawer, my mothers mother appeared to have one shelf solely for products bought from the television in the 1970s.

I have several "man drawers" and a "man" end table next to my "man" chair in front of my "man" big screen television. Every two weeks, my wife insists that I clean up and discard unneeded junk before our housekeeper comes to clean our house.

It annoys me that I have to clean up these areas, but that is life. Also, I am intentionally trying to be funny as I write this.

My boyfriend has decided to transform our shed into a gaming grotto. He insists that it’s not a man cave and I’m welcome as well, but I don’t see the point of playing video games in our shed when I have a comfy gaming area inside our apartment.

Hubby's stuff overflows our 3-car garage to the point that only one car will fit in there. There are several work tables and benches, covered with parts, half-finished projects and debris. There are old computers, electronics, fishing rods, boat paddles, all kinds of tools including lawn tools and power tools, plastic containers of nuts/bolts/screws, old car batteries, old snow skis, old medical equipment, and Lord only knows what else in there. If he dies before I do, I'm calling the Salvation Army and Habitat for Humanity to come get all that stuff out of there.

I have a "girl drawer" in my bedside table where I keep my heating pad, pens and paper, old empty pill bottles, hand lotions and moisturizers, reading glasses, and a secret hidden stash of fine dark chocolate.

I think everyone needs a place to put their "stuff", even kids.

Edit: I should mention the garage also contains a spare refrigerator and a large freezer. I guess those things fall under my jurisdiction because I'm the family cook.

I wonder how many autistic people have “autism caves.” I can’t understand how married autistic people with kids can handle family life. I would go mad. I need solitude, quiet, and the ability to control my own space.

I have one of those - it's called my Bedroom. When I'm stressed, I go to my bedroom, turn on the computer, get comfy in my chair, put on my headphones and just listen to some metal music (be it heavy, power, thrash, etc.) and some rock music - sometimes watching the odd YouTube video as well or watching a program on the telly/playing a video game.
That usually cools me down pretty quickly.

LOL, are you saying that the loo came about because there was no room for an office (for the man of the house)?
I think it's partly because children wouldn't go into the toilet so it means he could escape and people apart from children wouldn't go into the toilet a she shed is the same idea it's really just a craft room but women in the north east of England liked the misuse of English

I think every drawer in my apartment has become a junk drawer, or is on the verge of becoming one.:)

I have a whole dresser full of junk that I haven't touched in years. Old photos, bits of wrapping paper, instruction manuals for appliances that I probably no longer have, I should really clean it out someday.

I really don't get why they would think only men have this type of drawer, but until fairly recently 90% of stand-up comedy was men making fun of women. The other 10% was black people making fun of white people.

I have a gender neutral drawer with 1 hammer, 1 multi ended screw driver, scotch tape, package wrap tape, a metal measuring tape (the man kind, lol) , command hooks and replacement backings for them, sharpie pens for addressing packages, some rubber bands and other assorted stuff. Batteries have their own drawer,
take out menus also have their own drawer.
As someone I knew said, they all come to good use at some point after her mum apparently saying it’s just a load of junk that never gets used. Along with mine (the same stuff you have) are scart plugs, cables and... hold on let me have a look lol... an extension cable/socket, headphones, a padlock, glue gun, a couple of chargers and an old newspaper. That’s my gender neutral drawer. And I’m also gender neutral just for the record. :)

If we are pc about *things* then it just proves we are on the spectrum because last l looked, my can opener doesn't care if it's a boy or a girl, maybe l should remove the pink bow on it, in all fairness.

Last edited:
I do also have a solitude, get away from it all room that I take advantage of a lot.
Maybe you could call it an autistic room.
That was the original meaning of "boudoir."
(Would a a man-cave be a dude-doir...?)
full

I actually have a man cave which is an old spare room in my house and an old piece on the house. Like living on my own but with my mother and stepfather still living with me.

If we are pc about *things* then it just proves we are on the spectrum because last l looked, my can opener doesn't care if it's a boy or a girl, maybe l should remove the pink bow on it, in all fairness.

It disturbs me that you know the innermost thoughts and feelings of your can opener...

I have said drawer as described. We refer to it as the “everything” drawer. It resides in the kitchen. It contains bits, pieces, and several types of whatnots.

The contents of the everything drawer is essential to the smooth functioning of our household as we live a “paint-to-match” and a “bend-to-fit” lifestyle.

For instance, I needed a whatnot the other day and found one in the everything drawer that wasn’t a perfect match but could be effectively used.

It’s only one small drawer but it is mighty in application.

Such has a gender in the Romance languages...
full

New Threads

Top Bottom