• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The last thing that made you laugh

Something that always gets me about Dracula is that he's a vampire, and vampires don't have reflections.
So how does he part his hair down the center?

AGXStarseed Funny and so true.

As for growing old gracefully - screw that, I'm fighting it every inch of the way. Thankfully there are amazingly effective non surgical means of doing that now so, I may not have to go under the knife before I'm 60.

And here it's all of those AARP ads for life insurance, medicare supplemental insurance, burial plans, scooters, stair lifts and, life insurance w/o health exams, discount catheters, adult diapers, etc... UGH! way to ruin a movie.

And that 9.95 per month life insurance one kills me - as if 10 grand or less is even worth the hassle of applying for it. LOL That won't even buy a casket or urn, much less pay for a funeral, memorial, medical bills and, pay off credit cards but they sure want you to think it would.

As for growing old gracefully - screw that, I'm fighting it every inch of the way. Thankfully there are amazingly effective non surgical means of doing that now so, I may not have to go under the knife before I'm 60.

And here it's all of those AARP ads for life insurance, medicare supplemental insurance, burial plans, scooters, stair lifts and, life insurance w/o health exams, discount catheters, adult diapers, etc... UGH! way to ruin a movie.

And that 9.95 per month life insurance one kills me - as if 10 grand or less is even worth the hassle of applying for it. LOL That won't even buy a casket or urn, much less pay for a funeral, memorial, medical bills and, pay off credit cards but they sure want you to think it would.

Yeah, I really detest those adverts - even now.
I think another thing about getting older is that you get to a point where - metaphorically - you start 'losing a marble' a day. (I've haven't had any marbles since I was 10 years old. Mind you, it was hard enough keeping hold of them when I had my little brother putting them in his mouth all the time then turning himself into a cannon.
All I can say is thank heavens he had a bad aim and that I'm not a germaphobe).

Anywho, like I say, you start getting to a point where you begin losing a marble a day. You know it starts when you go upstairs to get something then suddenly stop and say to yourself "what have I come up here for?"

I don't want to get old - I mean, who does?
One thing that really bothers me when you become a pensioner is the adverts you have to put up with when you're watching the television.

For example, you'll be enjoying a film then the adverts come on and the first one that appears is Michael Parkinson saying "Have you thought about your funeral yet? Make sure you get some money paid in for your funeral or we'll cart you off in a bin bag".

So the film comes back on, then during the next set of adverts it's a woman in a business suit saying "Have you had an accident? Do you want one? Meet us at the bottom of your street tomorrow and we'll have you run over by a bus, then ring our team of lawyers and we'll get you some compensation".

So the film comes back on, then during the third set of adverts is another woman whizzing up and down on a stairlift!
Seriously, where are they getting this stuff from?!

This is why I don't watch movies on TV and typically don't watch shows either unless it's a new episode of one of the few series I go out of my way to follow. I download them instead. No pesky adverts and, in the case of series, I can watch them at my leisure and have a marathon whenever I feel like it. I think everyone should do that. Before you ask, no I don't care to subscribe to Netflix or Hulu because, being digital and all, they can remove stuff whenever they want and if you're in the middle of a series when they remove it you're SOL.

And now for the most adorable thing you'll probably see all week:
tumblr_nbavbhFVUL1r6nmb1o1_540.jpg

A kitty confuses folk metal singer Jonne Jarvela's dreadlocks for a scratching post.

So in deference to Gary Larson the creator of my favourite cartoons I won't be putting these up anymore. Here's his take on his work:
A note from Gary Larson

A Note from Gary Larson

RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

That Chris Brown has gotten stuck in the Philippines due to passport issues. I say we raise a fund to have him stay there.

So in deference to Gary Larson the creator of my favourite cartoons I won't be putting these up anymore. Here's his take on his work:
A note from Gary Larson

A Note from Gary Larson

RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

While I can certainly respect his point of view, the way I see it (and this goes for printed works in general) is that not everyone has access to the printed book versions and for the sake of those people if for no other reason, it's important for this stuff to be shared in a way that's accessible to everyone.

Speaking of comic strips specifically, unless you want to shell out big bucks for "complete" collections (which most people can't afford to do), you won't be getting the full run since the lower-cost paperback anthologies almost invariably leave some material out for one reason or another. In that case, finding compilations online is pretty much the only way to see it.

I fully support the idea of purchasing your favorite creators' works when you can, but at the same time, it's important to recognize that the free and open sharing of culture in general is ultimately going to be to the benefit of mankind.

TLDR: I respect Gary Larson, but he's being kind of selfish with that attitude. Like it or not, we have reached the point where creators have to accept the fact that their work will be freely shared and there's nothing whatsoever they can do about it. All complaining about it does is make one look like a jerk.

TLDR: I respect Gary Larson, but he's being kind of selfish with that attitude. Like it or not, we have reached the point where creators have to accept the fact that their work will be freely shared and there's nothing whatsoever they can do about it. All complaining about it does is make one look like a jerk.

To be honest his letter to his 'public' seemed a little conflicted. I own all his cartoon 'books', but there is an entire generation of people who have never seen his cartoons, they are not available unless his books are bought or known about. Having them on the net put up by people who like his work, would likely increase his audience for an entirely new generation. His publishers and he would sell more of his work. Maybe that's something he doesn't want, but I wish he did.

My Aspie friend in the studio and, on the phone with me at the same time today. The lyrics were supposed to be "Can't let go of this feeling." He sang "Can't let go of this meltdown." and the whole recording team started asking him what that was about. he isn't "out" as an Aspie so, he put me on speaker and expected me to take the blame for his Freudian slip. I stammered, stuttered and made a fool of myself with "Um, yeah well see I can't because you don't know. " then just started singing one of his other songs that has a line that starts "You don't know" Now the track is totally messed up and has to be redone but everyone is laughing and, no one cares what the explanation really was. LOL

This was funny, Avan accidentally tagged @SpikeJones not a mistake you want to make.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Classic, I accidentally tag the self-appointed social media curmudgeon. I&#39;m sure to have my Twitter license revoked.</p>&mdash; Avan Jogia (@AvanJogia) <a href=" ">July 25, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well embedding code is a bit off for this forum but, it posted so, I'll leave well enough alone.

New Threads

Top Bottom