• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The half life of 'I love you'

ive been unnerved since the day I was born suffering from panic disorder has made humour /comedy almost non-existent.
I explained why I put funny because I didn't want to offend you panic rules my life

ive been unnerved since the day I was born suffering from panic disorder has made humour /comedy almost non-existent.
I explained why I put funny because I didn't want to offend you panic rules my life

We're fine with you any which way you appear.
I often find you a dry wit but then it may be my mistake if it's panic.

I'm confident you know no offense is meant

Yes well it was profound, now it's making me squeamish. I am starting to worry that people I used to think loved me at least for a while actually only had their eye on my organs. Particularly the person who used to comment on how attractive my eyes were... oooooeeeeoooo!

bestlovequoteever.jpeg

Half life of emotions before they turn themselves into something else:

Rage = ten minutes.
Anger = one hour.
Surprise = 10 seconds
Anxiety = one lifetime
Fear = one hour.
Dread = one lifetime.
Frustration = one hour.
Excitement = one hour.
Love = unknown element.

Words can wear off over time and I agree that they could be said to have a half life, but when someone wants to hear "I love you" too much it can be a sign of insecurity. An autistic person like myself often keeps repeating things anyway, but if you say "I love you" too much to a partner or family member then even it's initial impact can wear off eventually making it seem virtually meaningless, although some people, even NTs will keep saying it too much anyway and sometimes this can also be a sign of insecurity, E.g. in the case of a partner you're afraid of losing them and therefore are constantly trying to remind them that you love them and/or you're saying it hoping to get the same words back to relieve insecurity, unfortunately this can often cause a person to ultimately lose them over time.

My sister when we were children had a phase of following me round saying I love you I love you I love you on and on in a monotonous voice and when I d tell my mum she'd say I was only saying I love you to her... it was a cunning plan indeed and very irritating. Especially as I never did anything to irritate her... or, did I? Hehe heh heh. But actions speak louder than words, although in that particular case it was a double bluff as she demonstrated plenty of actions that showed she loved me, and still does many years later. However from others I require proof. ;)

Yes well it was profound, now it's making me squeamish. I am starting to worry that people I used to think loved me at least for a while actually only had their eye on my organs. Particularly the person who used to comment on how attractive my eyes were... oooooeeeeoooo!
oh great I thought about it again please don't let me read that post

Rage = ten minutes.
Anger = one hour.
Surprise = 10 seconds
Anxiety = one lifetime
Fear = one hour.
Dread = one lifetime.
Frustration = one hour.
Excitement = one hour.
Love = unknown element.

I think @Progster is on to something. Further, I would equate the metrics with the time required to dissipate the hormone in the blood stream.

My chemical make up dissipates fear slower, that's about an 8 hour half life for me.

The half life of love in the sense of sexual attraction is about 3 days. However, love in the sense of loving ones child, I would describe as "doubling time" which is a scientific term that effectively means the opposite of half life. Due to neural constructions formed by fondness and familiarity, familial love for ones offspring has a 2 year doubling time.

My friend told me the story about how when she was 1 years old her heart stopped during a procedure at the hospital and they had to resuscitate her. I didn’t really react to this story at all at that moment. Couple of months later we were out drunk and in that phase where people “love” everyone. As the perfectly drunk young ladies we were we found a spot to relieve ourselves (all the toilets were taken). We’re standing behind some bushes next to the river and she tells me she loves me. I go silent until it’s my turn to take care of my business. As I squat down and pull up my dress I am overwhelmed with this feeling and shout out “You know what Nina I’m really glad you didn’t die when you were 1 years old!”

I think that’s a part of love.

New Threads

Top Bottom