• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Good Doctor

I've watched the show since the beginning. It's a good show, though I wish they had not made him a savant. A gimmick for a Neurotypical audience, but it doesn't help with stereotypes.

Though one recent episode was quite good. Not about autism per se, but rather the lawyer who defended Dr. Shaun Murphy in a malpractice suit. She had OCD, and it was the best presentation of OCD I've seen in television.

I've watched it from the beginning and I like it.
It holds my attention.
Can't wait for the return season. :)

I watched it a couple of times suspect it is based on a savant years ago. 35 to 40 who passed the medical exams
caused a real issue at the time I believe they denied him his license I show came across too artificial. like the show bones better, or even house, all are exaggerations of who we are.

I didn't watch the american version, because it's too long; over 100 episodes and still going...

But the show is based on the Korean drama of the same name: 굿 닥터 = "Good Doctor," and the whole show it's only 20 episodes.

The series was widely popular in korean, and there have been multiple adaptation. The most well-known is the american version, but there's also japanese, turkish, and hong-kong (hong-kong-ese?) adaptations.

The only thing I don't like, is that autistic characters on tv are almost always savants.

The only thing I don't like, is that autistic characters on tv are almost always savants.
I find it more of a "double-edged sword". On the one hand, I have had a few people say to me after learning about my autism, "Ohhh, so that's why you're so smart." In part, because of what you said here, that autistic characters are often portrayed as savants. I think I would rather have autism be associated with "high intelligence" rather than a lack of it. On the other hand, as we know, savants often have significant deficits in other areas, so, like you suggested, it may not be an accurate stereotype of someone with an autism condition. I am no savant, that's for sure.

New Threads

Top Bottom