• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Dress [in relation to ASD]

What colors do you see?

• White and Gold

• Blue and Black

• I can see both white/gold and blue/black at different times

• I see a different set of colors

Results are only viewable after voting.
I see the dress as white and gold.

I mean, I see clearly that the is no white on the picture of the dress, I actually see it as lilac and sand/gold colour, if taken out of context.
But I interpret the light behind as a bright daylight, so I kind of assume that the real colour of the dress would be white and gold, when taken out to the proper light..

No matter how hard I try, I just can't see it as blue and black, even knowing that these are the actual colours!

I see it as blue with black/gold irredecent stripes.

I also experience colours a bit differently from most people. Most shades of purple register as blue for me, or sometimes pink. Under low light conditions I have also noticed that my perception of red and green get switched, even though I see these colours totally differently. My brother has similar issues and we have both been diagnosed with red/green color blindness.

I see the face of a curious cartoon pig. In the flap-hang-y-down thing-y (bolero?) by the R shoulder. Okay, aspie seeing details and not the whole! Duh!:p

Clearly, whatever color this dress is, it is Miss Piggy's frock.

You know what I see? Reminders of the nightmares I got put through trying to learn color theory and how tint, tone, and shade vary wildly. In neutral light, that dress will be white and gold, at the most a very soft cool grey and gold. In warm light, that dress will be orange and orange. In cool shadows or lights, it will be blue and brown or blue and black. The picture of that dress was taken when it was half-shrouded in shadow, so naturally it's cast in a cool light, and the literal Aspies will tell you quite frankly it's turning blue whether or not they can tell you why. Increase the contrast, it'll show up white. Increase the saturation, it'll turn blue.

This is why I am a pencil artist, not a colored pencil artist. Representing cool and warm light at the correct time along with guess how refracted light colors the shadowed area is a pain in the ass and requires too many mental calculations when mixing your colors right to have it represented correctly. Us plain pencil artists only need to understand value and contrast. Many less variables.

I wonder if there is a difference between how males & females see the color in the original picture? I think I read somewhere a while ago that men do not usually see as many colors as women. That men do not 'see' the nuances between the various shades of different colors. I'm not sure of the source of that though.
So it is said, I've heard that multiple times too. One of many theories is that men were trained as hunters, women as gatherers, so they began to more perceptive to color changes so they wouldn't accidentally get rotten or poisonous food.

I'd think any interpretation of color online is first and foremost relative to how well one's monitor is calibrated.

That said, I see blue, black, white and gold. Saw the same on television as the story was on CNN this morning as well.

The dress looked Blue an some type of brown colour to me but maybe I need to look and the settings for brightness/contrasr and/or wipe my Computer screen

I'd think any interpretation of color online is first and foremost relative to how well one's monitor is calibrated.
Possibly. But for me it didn't make a difference, I've seen it on a laptop, two computers, a mobile, the television and an Ipad (so I'm hoping that was the last time). And it's always white and gold.

Possibly. But for me it didn't make a difference, I've seen it on a laptop, two computers, a mobile, the television and an Ipad (so I'm hoping that was the last time). And it's always white and gold.

Interesting. I should probably add that I articulate colors in general quite well....whether onscreen or not. It could all well be neurological/physiological in nature...I guess I'm just apt to deduce the simplest things first.

I would like to add. My sister's boyfriend said that in his office everyone was looking at the dress from the same monitor and opinions were divided like this: all the programmers saw it as white and gold and all the web-designers saw it as blue and black, without exceptions! Interesting, huh?

I would like to add. My sister's boyfriend said that in his office everyone was looking at the dress from the same monitor and opinions were divided like this: all the programmers saw it as white and gold and all the web-designers saw it as blue and black, without exceptions! Interesting, huh?

From the same monitor. That's positively disturbing! :eek: But then I was a web designer at one time....color accuracy and interpretation was critical in my job.

But then perhaps viewing color isn't far removed from viewing other details, like looking at pictures of suspects and recalling their features at a later time. That some do it well, and others poorly. Go figure...

Sorry, I didn't get what exactly you found disturbing... :oops:

Well, I once worked for software entertainment company where programmers and designers worked in close proximity and even occasionally in overlapping duties. I just can't imagine them under the same conditions viewing color so differently. Probably not something easily explained from my point of view. No worries...guess it just depends on the individuals.

Well, I once worked for software entertainment company where programmers and designers worked in close proximity and even occasionally in overlapping duties. I just can't imagine them under the same conditions viewing color so differently. Probably not something easily explained from my point of view. No worries...guess it just depends on the individuals.

Oh, they were looking at the picture from the same monitor just for the sake of experiment, to have a more "precise" result! Not because their working environment is so bad. I understand what you meant now. :) Yeah, that would be really disturbing!

I love the dress, it's so entertaining to see so many people debate about what colors it is. By the way, I see white and gold if I view the top of the dress, but it turns to blue and black as I look lower.

I see white and gold, or, more specifically, lavender/white and gold/orange.

Note: I am color-blind according to the Department of Defense (When I was tested at a Navy medical facility trying to join the U.S. Army years ago) so I'll admit I am not a good judge of color; I often have trouble differentiating yellows/greens and red/purples/blues/pinks.

New Threads

Top Bottom