• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"The Cars" Lead Singer, Ric Ocasek dead at 75

Isadoorian

Welcomer of Newcomers
V.I.P Member
Link to Article: ‘The Cars’ lead singer Ric Ocasek found dead in Manhattan home at 75

Transcript:

"GRAMERCY PARK, Manhattan — Ric Ocasek, lead singer of The Cars, died Sunday in his Manhattan home, an NYPD spokesperson said.

Ocasek was found unconscious and unresponsive in bed at his East 19th Street home around 4 p.m., police said. Emergency medical services pronounced him deceased at the scene.

The cause of death is not yet clear, but police said there was no sign of foul play.

He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

The Cars are known for classics including “My Best Friend’s Girl,” “You’re All I’ve Got Tonight,” "Good Times Roll", "Shake It Up” and “You Might Think.”

Ocasek, who sang, played guitar and wrote most of the band's songs, and Benjamin Orr, who played bass and also sang, were ex-hippie buddies who formed The Cars in Boston in 1976. They were a decade older than many of their modern-rock compatriots but became one of the most essential American bands of the late 1970s and 1980s with their fusion of new wave, 1960s pop and 1970s glam.

Ocasek's minimalist, half-spoken deadpan vocals set made the band's sound, and his long, lanky appearance formed their lasting image.

The Cars had 10 other singles in the Billboard top 40, and of their six studio albums, four were in Billboard's top 10.

In May of 2018, model and actress Paulina Porizkova announced on social media that she and Ocasek had separated after 28 years of marriage. The pair first met while filming the music video for "Drive." "

Oh, what a shame. Not a fan per se, but I remember him from the song below. I note a lot of people are putting their messages in the comments regarding his death.

Wow, first Eddie Money now Ric. 2 greats from my childhood gone. Really hits home that I'm getting older too.

Last edited:
Wow, first Eddie Money now Ric. 2 greats from my childhood gone. Really hits home that I'm getting older too.

I think the worst is yet to come. With all of our childhood celebrities now entering their 70's. Don't be surprised to see a lot of them start dropping like flies in the next 10 years.

New Threads

Top Bottom