• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The best school subject

What is your favourite school subject?

• Maths

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Your language/literature

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Foreign languages

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • P.E.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Art/Music

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Biology

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Physics

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • History

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Geography

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters
My first female English , History and Comercial Art teacher really complimented me.

My second male English Composition teacher asked me if my hair was dyed and if my eyelashes were false? I was a just a insecure high school student. What the f?
At 8yrs old, in front of the class, my teacher mimicked me for not being able to stay still, she encouraged a dark (not skin colour) boy, I mean background, to mimic me and she said in all of her 22 years of teaching, she never met anyone like me. In her favour though, she did not know, in 1975 what an Aspie or ADHD kid looked like.

That's funny. Maths is leading in both best and worst subject. Looks like one half of people with ASD like it while another half struggles with it. P.E. the only without votes. This subject is really ASD unfriendly. Luckilly I have a good teacher that understands that I don't want to play basketball with my class.
I wish I had the insight back then in the '80's to tell my maths teachers the connection between maths, nature and music and spirituality.

Omg, l hated PE. I was incredibly shy. I loved any course where the teacher didn't treat me like a dim-witted slobbering idiot ,(thanks stupid male math teacher who refused to treat females with an iota of respect, jr high.)
PE what a washout.
One teacher said "This is the silliest game of netball I have ever seen" I hated netball.
Another teacher said I was deteriorating, and she said nothing during a game of rounders while a peer showed me up in front of everyone. I had no idea, rounders, netball, they were like double dutch to me.

I've never played netball and don't know what it is. From grades 1-4 we usually played dodgeball. This game is a horror if you are afraid of ball like I was becuase the objectivre is to - elimitate a player by hitting him with the ball. Then from grades 5-8 we played soccer, and now in high school basketball. Home economy? My parents have talked to me about the subject, but I didn't have it. That's lucky because I think I would be bad at it.

Netball is similar to basket ball. It was commonly played outdoors at girls schools in my youth.

I've seen a video of it now. It's a variation of basketball. I think forcing team sports is a main reason why people with ASD hate P.E. althrough there are also a lot individual sports that are fun and good.

1. My best subject was Math & computer programming.
  2. I excelled at drafting (by hand, in shop class).
  3. Physics was just applied mathematics. I did great until I was out sick for a week. When I came back, they were doing electricity & electronics and I was lost. (I took it in the Navy, later, and it was much clearer, then.)
  4. Foreign Language: I got top marks in two years of French, but I was just phoning it in.
  5. Arts: I enjoyed drawing (a special interest). I am a fairly good amateur, but never rose to a professional level. I made the mistake of pursuing that rather than #1, as I should have.
  6. I participated in choir as a baritone, and dabbled in drama class.
  7. My worst subject was Career Guidance. All of my best grades were in classes that had a lecture, read & test format. In Career Guidance, I was supposed to learn social nuances of the job culture that were lost on me. Being a required course, I had to take an extra semester of high school, since I failed it the first time.
The bogus theory of evolution put me off sciences permanently.
That was mostly true of Biology. There wasn't a lot of that in Physics. I don't think that it was big in Chemistry, either, but I was lousy at Intro to Chemistry so I didn't take it.

The bogus theory of evolution put me off sciences permanently.

Yes there are definitely flaws, but when compared to the alternative. (That which should not be spoken here). It's much more plausible to me.

My worst subject was Career Guidance. All of my best grades were in classes that had a lecture, read & test format. In Career Guidance, I was supposed to learn social nuances of the job culture that were lost on me. Being a required course, I had to take an extra semester of high school, since I failed it the first time.
I don't have this subject. But sociology is a pain for me.

Yes, it is read and test, but the tests are so hard. For a test you need to learn all book and sometimes even wider than that. Luckilly it takes only one year and I'll be done with it as soon as this school year ends (18 June)
I was good at anything 'read and test' because I could go home, memorize it and then regurgitate it for the exam. That's one reason why I was good at sitting exams, as most or our exams were like that, though I had the problem of not being able to write quickly and running out of time.

What I really sucked at was English Literature, because you had to read a previously unknown poem and then analyse it. I couldn't do this task, was very poor at it. It took me a long time to learn to write well-structured essays - my first ones just read like a list of facts with little structure. I didn't grasp until a lot later that writing essays is not just about what or how much you know, but also how you present it. No wonder I got a D.

Also, couldn't do algebra - at least, not to advanced level. Everything else in maths (statistics, geometry, trigonometry) was ok though.

What I really sucked at was English Literature, because you had to read a previously unknown poem and then analyse it. I couldn't do this task, was very poor at it. It took me a long time to learn to write well-structured essays - my first ones just read like a list of facts with little structure. I didn't grasp until a lot later that writing essays is not just about what or how much you know, but also how you present it. No wonder I got a D.

Also, couldn't do algebra - at least, not to advanced level. Everything else in maths (statistics, geometry, trigonometry) was ok though.

Had similar problems with 'poetry' and 'literature' mainly due to the sexism and symbolilm stuff, like the fallen/shamed woman thing made no sense to me at all but a lot of early literature is about shamed women and apparently red ribbons or the colour red is supposed to symbolise uh passion/shame. like wut? Still can't believe how incredibly male supremacist literature is/was.

Could never memorize maths formulae. Had to invent my own formuale in exams.

I enjoyed Biology, and especially two topics that I took and ran with: the fact and theory of evolution, and genetics. I eventually was degreed in molecular genetics/cell biology. Plus, collecting fossils from the Silica Shale, I was able to follow the arguments of Niles Eldredge and Stephen Gould in their seminal paper on Punctuated Equilibrium.

Alas, I see that so many are turned off by science when it is presented as a bunch of factoids than as a coherent system about how one understands the world. In my lifetime I have seen an understanding of genetic regulation blossom, then there was the paradigm shift that came about from Plate Tectonics that also explained biogeography.

I embrace the sciences about contemporary phenomena.
I just reject the [macro-?]evolutionary narrative of origins.

I embrace the sciences about contemporary phenomena.
I just reject the [macro-?]evolutionary narrative of origins.
Evolutionary biology has nothing to say about origins, just change over time, which is a fact. Consider that it is now obvious that taxa representing body plans were developed very early on. This is supported by the fact that homeobox genes, whose expression controls development, are very highly conserved and changes in expression can exert pleitropic effects in the developing embryo. I do not subscribe to the "hopeful monster" idea of taxonomic divergence, so that leaves me in between the gradualists and saltationists.

Nobody seems to like P.E. I didn't mind P.E., I just didn't like the changing rooms. I've always been shy in that regard.

I picked biology, chemistry, and math. I didn't care too much for physics, oddly. I enjoyed biology because it was interesting learning about how the human body and DNA and related things worked. Chemistry was sort of like a mixture of biology and math, and I thought it was cool how things interacted. Math was tough at times, but it was like a tough (sometimes frustrating) puzzle that had an answer at the end, which was satisfying and in a weird way it was fun, too.

To me the best subject is biology, followed by chemistry. In these two subjects I go to regional competitions. I'm also good at and like physics and maths. Social sciences are a struggle. What is/was your favourite school subject? Multiple votes allowed.
I am glad you like biology. It is very closely related to physics.

I have studied channeled information from Kryon, a magnetic master. I like to be open to learning new things. Some spiritual teachers do not encourage us to evaluate these things. Which actually only makes me more curious. Any way according to Kryon, physics has not yet discover 2 missing laws. They are about a strong and weak inter dimensional force. This relates to biology. All humans have a 24th pair of chromosomes which represent those 2 missing laws of physics. When science invents a quantum lens they will be able to see these energies. May be some one like you will do that for us.

John

New Threads

Top Bottom