• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The best school subject

What is your favourite school subject?

• Maths

Votes: 16 42.1%
  • Your language/literature

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Foreign languages

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • P.E.

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Art/Music

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Biology

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Chemistry

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Physics

Votes: 10 26.3%
  • History

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Geography

Votes: 8 21.1%

• Total voters

Dadamen

I already had "the worst school subject" topic and the pool results were interesting for me. Looks like the results are similar to those seen on one NT forum with one big difference: While NTs enjoy P.E., autistics hate it. Now you will vote for the best school subject.

To me the best subject is biology, followed by chemistry. In these two subjects I go to regional competitions. I'm also good at and like physics and maths. Social sciences are a struggle. What is/was your favourite school subject? Multiple votes allowed.

Foreign languages, plus physics, biology and chemistry. Not maths, though, really struggled with some aspects of that. I'm sure I would have liked geography too, if I'd taken it.

@unperson thats what absolutely gripped me about the sciences - the scientific process itself. It taught me ways to question things that I doubted or flat out didnt believe and gave me tools and methods for approaching the truth. Testing, discarding and improving hypothesis to provide a coherent picture of how the world most likely works is still fascinating to me today. I was always more one for logic&reasoning than faith alone.

Omg, l hated PE. I was incredibly shy. I loved any course where the teacher didn't treat me like a dim-witted slobbering idiot ,(thanks stupid male math teacher who refused to treat females with an iota of respect, jr high.)

That's funny. Maths is leading in both best and worst subject. Looks like one half of people with ASD like it while another half struggles with it. P.E. the only without votes. This subject is really ASD unfriendly. Luckilly I have a good teacher that understands that I don't want to play basketball with my class.

Mine isn’t listed, but they stopped “Home Economics” a long time ago. Never forgot how good that class kept the whole wing of that school smelling yummy!

It’s a shame that “Shop Class” got taken away too. Seems that cooking, sewing and fixing thing are not important any longer? In American schools they replaced it with classes that teach them to put a condom on a banana. Messed up.:confused:

My first female English , History and Comercial Art teacher really complimented me.

My second male English Composition teacher asked me if my hair was dyed and if my eyelashes were false? I was a just a insecure high school student. What the f?

English literature and language and history were my faves. But looking back I would definitely say that the way maths and sciences were taught put me off. @Misery was talking about that on another thread, and I totally agree that the school approach to teaching many subjects was dull, dry and off-putting to me.

Only history literature and creative writing interested me, I never understood how great some of the other subjects were, due to the boring irrelevant tedium that the teachers presented, along with terrorising us to cover our text books and do tedious homework.

I quite liked French, despite being really poor at it and in the bottom group, because we could do projects and the teacher was fun and made it somewhat interesting, I visited France and I got an O level pass despite I mostly couldn't ever recall much French vocabulary...

PE was the worst, although it improved when we could choose trampolining and swimming. Quite enjoyed those.

I did 'home ec' too. Yeh it was a fun class, people thronged to scrounge some food off you after class, ha. I dropped a maths based subject (commerce, i think they called it, involved bookeeping, and I have a horror of maths) and they would only let you take what was then perceived as 'easy' subjects. but it was good, it's a life skill and a jawb field. I wish more skewling was in jawb fields.

Skewl does not really prepare people for work, it's mostly babysitting.

My first female English , History and Comercial Art teacher really complimented me.

My second male English Composition teacher asked me if my hair was dyed and if my eyelashes were false? I was a just a insecure high school student. What the f?

uhh, that'd be a fag/tranny question methinks.

we had gays, sado masochists and pedos on the staff - pedagogy and pederasty aint far apart.

In my primary skewl, the headmaster used the all female staff as his personal brothel.

Mine isn’t listed, but they stopped “Home Economics” a long time ago. Never forgot how good that class kept the whole wing of that school smelling yummy!

It’s a shame that “Shop Class” got taken away too. Seems that cooking, sewing and fixing thing are not important any longer? In American schools they replaced it with classes that teach them to put a condom on a banana. Messed up.:confused:

Huh? Let's define "a long time ago" - I finished high school in the 21st century and I definitely took both home ec and shop. Watch me make a Singer sing, serve lunch, machine something, or do some clean soldering.

And when I worked at a historic site, I ended up doing a lot of the mending as it turned out I was more adept at it then the girls I worked with.

How strange!, in England sex education was an extra class ,that was the 1980s

I already had "the worst school subject" topic and the pool results were interesting for me. Looks like the results are similar to those seen on one NT forum with one big difference: While NTs enjoy P.E., autistics hate it. Now you will vote for the best school subject.

To me the best subject is biology, followed by chemistry. In these two subjects I go to regional competitions. I'm also good at and like physics and maths. Social sciences are a struggle. What is/was your favourite school subject? Multiple votes allowed.
At 54 school was a long time ago for me. Art was my fave, but I could never get my stuff to look realistic. That changed at 30 in an evening class when the tutor taught us techniques and I also read "Drawing from the right side of the brain"
Needlework was another fave, I had no patience though and wanted to see finished result, so made avoidable careless errors. Clothes are cheaper to buy than make now, this wasn't the case in the 80's when I did it. PE-I'm a spectrummer who hated it.
No one told me I could sing at school.
I had no confidence and a permanent sadness, not conducive to singing.
I only discovered it through amphetamine based fake confidence. The amphetamine has gone but the singing stayed so long as mood allows.

we had gays, sado masochists and pedos on the staff - pedagogy and pederasty aint far apart.

In my primary skewl, the headmaster used the all female staff as his personal brothel.
Dark, there might have been in ours, looking back. I wasn't aware at the time though.

English literature and language and history were my faves. But looking back I would definitely say that the way maths and sciences were taught put me off. @Misery was talking about that on another thread, and I totally agree that the school approach to teaching many subjects was dull, dry and off-putting to me.

Only history literature and creative writing interested me, I never understood how great some of the other subjects were, due to the boring irrelevant tedium that the teachers presented, along with terrorising us to cover our text books and do tedious homework.

I quite liked French, despite being really poor at it and in the bottom group, because we could do projects and the teacher was fun and made it somewhat interesting, I visited France and I got an O level pass despite I mostly couldn't ever recall much French vocabulary...

PE was the worst, although it improved when we could choose trampolining and swimming. Quite enjoyed those.
Yeah, some boring subjects. I loved some teachers though, my geography teacher and my French teacher, he loved to go off on a tangent and his tangents were always interesting, I think he was a walking library.

New Threads

Top Bottom