• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The best piece of marketing I've ever read.

MildredHubble

V.I.P Member
This was a poem written to feature in the "Think Different" and campaign for Apple Computer. I think it's the most inspiring piece of advertising blurb I've ever read. It's essentially a piece of marketing! It feels to me like a genuine celebration of Neuro-diversity, people that just "think different".

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits.
The rebels.
The troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently.
They’re not fond of rules.
And they have no respect for the status quo.
You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things.
They push the human race forward.
And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius.
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.

As advert babble goes, it's one of the better ones!

I never really liked Jobs or Gates but you can't discount what they did for society.

No, they did not invent computers, or even create their own operating systems. But what they did do was put a computer in every home in the modern world.

I never really liked Jobs or Gates but you can't discount what they did for society.

No, they did not invent computers, or even create their own operating systems. But what they did do was put a computer in every home in the modern world.
I think Steve Jobs definitely mastered the "cool geek" persona. He had charisma. Unlike Elon Musk who is like a dollar store version, who never delivers on his promises. All hype and no substance.

Steve Jobs wasn't an engineer. But he certainly had vision. And you are quite right, they didn't invent computers, though there are silly people who sum up Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak as the first people to build a computer and sell it to people.

Jobs had the ability to really accurately extrapolate where computers would be in the future from the relatively "par for the course" Apple 1 and 2.

That's clever stuff. And basically Jobs has said that you can't explain these things to people, you have to build it and show them. Only then will they "get it".

A bit like when Henry Ford said "If I'd asked what people wanted, they would have asked for faster horses."

A lot of people either forget or never knew about England's contribution to computers, far beyond dear old Mr Babbage. The first widespread use of electronic computers was by the British in WW II, Spike Milligan was a linesman connecting gun batteries to the truck with the computer in it.

And our internet used to be a top secret British military communications system, the Queen sent her first official email in 1956.

Now it is popular to hate on Bezos and Musk. Musk has revolutionized spaceflight and the electric car industry. And we still shop on Amazon. Musk is definitely autistic. Jobs was, and Gates might be as well. I think Bezos just has a Lex Luthor complex.

All those people created and organized vast enterprises at the very bleeding edge of technology that rocked the world. That counts.

Great post. I haven't accomplished much of anything, but l am use to being hated because people see l think quickly and land on my feet fast in most situations. You are never popular when you question everything in life.

A lot of people either forget or never knew about England's contribution to computers, far beyond dear old Mr Babbage. The first widespread use of electronic computers was by the British in WW II, Spike Milligan was a linesman connecting gun batteries to the truck with the computer in it.

And our internet used to be a top secret British military communications system, the Queen sent her first official email in 1956.
Alan Turing too! The way he was treated is a black stain on British history. It seems ridiculous today, but until relatively recently, it was illegal to be gay.

The fact that he and his team shortened WW2 by two years (it's estimated), didn't seem to prevent him from being arrested and convicted for "sexual deviance". They forced him to take female hormones to "treat" his "disorder". He bit into a peach laced with cyanide. That put an end to his brilliance and everything he could have achieved.

We can only imagine the potential we denied ourselves. Perhaps we would have cracked General AI by now. Who knows.

One thing is for certain, he changed the world.

New Threads

Top Bottom