• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Benefits of Being on the Spectrum

zurb

Eschewer of Obfuscation
From another topic...
Being an aspie has massive plus points.

It's easy to get discouraged as an aspie. Problems are clear to see as we run up against them regularly. Sometimes it's worth refocusing for sanity's sake on the benefits. So, what do you all see as being the benefits of being on the spectrum? (And please avoid making this NT bashing)

We are often excellent problem solvers, as we do not become clouded by our emotions and generally follow logic.

Only accepting perfection and efficiency at a task and never quitting until I get it.

The benefits for being on the spectrum for me is:

1. feel happiness,love, excitement and joy in a great way (it can make me a little look high some times at public, but, well who cares?!)
2. be happy just making the things i enjoyed.
3. learn things i like really really fast
4. be naturally fun because the way i see and think on things
5. can focus for a really long time in some things i like
6. I can be the person my friends and family need me at time (shapeshifting)
7. can remember things and some times see them like images (dont work all the times though)

Should I call that being passionate? ;)

No, there's a huge difference between being passionate about a subject and being stuck in hyperfocus.
I've been lost in hyperfocus at times for up to 12 hours at a time. No toilet breaks, no water or food breaks. Nothing else exists around you. The house could burn down around you and you wouldn't notice.

Some have said that being stuck in hyperfocus is a bit like having a pitbull fastened on to your leg. You're not going anywhere until it's finished with you!

Is professionally stripping a Jeep down to painting it,sanding it,painting it and reassembling it in 46 hours straight thru with no sleep or food considered hyperfocus? :p...if it is,I am guilty as charged

Come to think of it I did bodywork that was essentially a stim you got paid for :D

Is professionally stripping a Jeep down to painting it,sanding it,painting it and reassembling it in 46 hours straight thru with no sleep or food considered hyperfocus? :p...if it is,I am guilty as charged

I don't know if you'd consider it hyperfocus or not (because I believed it to be more of a mental thing than physically doing something) but it sure demonstrates an Aspie passion for a Special Interest. 46 hours. Well done! Beats my 12 hours of non stop computer programming.

I don't find my focus lacking in passion. I don't honestly think I lack emotion either. Emotions just do different things to me than they do to other folks.

this is from an LFA perspective but.....being an athlete of the special olympics,having profound connections to animals,involuntary mentaly resetting every day so am unable to have grudges,being unable to discriminate races [visualy or mentaly],visualy and mentaly seeing all humans as the same object;this causes the effect of being unable to treat people as better/ worse/weird etc, having total lack of social and gender rules so no living by manmade boundaries,having inability to feel any pain [unless its deep pain like headache or stomach ache]-great with all the clumsy toe stubbing that happens,being able to fixate on something for the whole day whether its echolalia,being on a adapted/special needs swing,or playing one part of a computer game etc....having a visual sat nav inside mind for directions to point out to support staff when we are driving.

New Threads

Top Bottom