• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The benefits of a Therapy/Support canine companion

Dogs are so smart aren’t they?!

View attachment 69133
. Look at that sweet face. Dogs are smart yes.
Dogs communicate more than the people in my life.Yes, I have dogs, and they indeed have me. You can pester dogs, and bark with them, and join in their world. They won't understand the world as you do. That for them is part of their strength and good fortune. I think they would be sorely disappointed if they truly understood. Ah, to be a dog.

oh yes, I couldn't keep mine outta the bed, was hardly any room for me with those 2 all spread out.

One of my best dogs ever has been our current dog Tigger Bear, a.k.a Tiggy a.k.a. The dog faced boy.

My sweet boy is 13 1/2. A mutter mix of Cockerspanial and Labradore "cockadore".
He does not like to swim but he loves sailing, kyaking and going for dinghy rides. He likes to ride on the bow with his ears flapping in the wind. He would have made a great therapy dog as loud noises don't upset him and he is very patient if you accidentally bump him. He just seems to know when to stay close and he gentle with toddlers and the elderly.

My husband usually walks Tigger, especially if he needs to go after dark but on one occassion my husband had hurt his back so I took Tigger out. We usually walk him off leash so that he can be a real dog (rural aream its safe!). One this particular evening Tiggy kept running too far away and I kept calling him back and admonishing "slow down". After the 3rd or 4th time of this Tigger ran back and walked about 3 feet ahead, litterally tip toeing! He kept looking back to make sure I hadn't fallen behind. I swear he was being theatrical on purpose!

But he is getting old now and arthritis causes him pain. I will miss him fiercely.

If I was a little unsure before reading this thread, I’m now sure. Now that I’m settled back in the U.S. and on my own it’s time for a real friend.

If I was a little unsure before reading this thread, I’m now sure. Now that I’m settled back in the U.S. and on my own it’s time for a real friend.

Just be sure to do lots of research before getting one.

It's important to get a breed that is going to work for you... and it's really different for each person. So, research what different breeds are like, and what each needs.

Also consider your local area... for instance dont get a husky (bred for cold climates) if you're down south where it's warm even during winter. Huskies tend to get a bit melty.

@Misery thank you - good points. I had a Weimeraner as a kid and they are kinda a handful to put it mildly.
A friend of mine is a vet tech, and mentioned Shelties as a good and sturdy breed. But I cannot seem to find any. Next week I’m going to search at the close-by shelter and a couple a bit further away.

I live in a small town in Montana, on the edge of a couple of wilderness areas. I walk and do some slow running, so the dog needs to be able to handle some cold. It’s not like I’m going to take it out walking on really cold days - I stay in when it drops below 20°.

There is a youtuber called "Purple Ella" who has done some videos on her support dog and support dogs for ASD in general. I have been holding off on a dog because I feel the commitment and expense would be too much....but I think it would be emotionally therapeutic in a way that would really benefit my health. So I am still undecided. Ideally I will figure all that I need to figure out, then adopt. I have tried thinking of other little caged pets instead, but I have ruled them all out...I have had various pets, but I am just different now in terms of what I have energy for, and how much smells or messes bother me.

New Threads

Top Bottom