• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Autistic "Rationale-dependant" thinking style; thoughts and personal experiences?

I don’t think faith is about believing something is true, whether the object of faith is palpable or not. I believe that faith is what moves you.

How bold is the stride of intellectual assent, until it meets a serious challenge. Faith is the determining factor. We can say, and truly believe that we believe something is true, but it all boils down to whether or not you will bet your health/money/reputation/marriage on it when the fecal material contacts the rotary oscillator.

I suspect it’s the answer to the question that Jesus asked. “Why do you call me Lord, Lord, but do not do what I tell you?” The answer is because there is ‘belief’, but no faith that it’s true.

If the Lord told you to hold your hand over a flame and he wouldn’t let it injure you, how long would you feel the heat before buckling? Maybe a good measure is whether your faith is stronger than your instinct for bodily self preservation. Because, if you only believe something is true until your belief is tested, it is only intellectual assent and not faith.

So, I don’t see the point in asking if faith is believing in something you can’t prove, when the bigger question is whether your ‘faith’ determines your behavior.

I don’t think faith is about believing something is true, whether the object of faith is palpable or not. I believe that faith is what moves you.

How bold is the stride of intellectual assent, until it meets a serious challenge. Faith is the determining factor. We can say, and truly believe that we believe something is true, but it all boils down to whether or not you will bet your health/money/reputation/marriage on it when the fecal material contacts the rotary oscillator.

I suspect it’s the answer to the question that Jesus asked. “Why do you call me Lord, Lord, but do not do what I tell you?” The answer is because there is ‘belief’, but no faith that it’s true.

If the Lord told you to hold your hand over a flame and he wouldn’t let it injure you, how long would you feel the heat before buckling? Maybe a good measure is whether your faith is stronger than your instinct for bodily self preservation. Because, if you only believe something is true until your belief is tested, it is only intellectual assent and not faith.

So, I don’t see the point in asking if faith is believing in something you can’t prove, when the bigger question is whether your ‘faith’ determines your behavior.

That's good stuff. You're essentially encapsulating what James said about faith without works being dead.

I like that "Faith is what moves you". It reminds me of "You shall know them by their fruits". It speaks of having evidence of people's faith by their actions. It's how we behave that matters. The thing is, if you believe in something, you leave yourself open to experiencing something that confirms your faith, but if you don't believe, you probably won't even believe it, even if there is evidence staring you in the face. There has been plenty of evidence to see that demonstrates that.
This movie below sheds some light on the science that demonstrates this truth.

I like that "Faith is what moves you". It reminds me of "You shall know them by their fruits". It speaks of having evidence of people's faith by their actions. It's how we behave that matters. The thing is, if you believe in something, you leave yourself open to experiencing something that confirms your faith, but if you don't believe, you probably won't even believe it, even if there is evidence staring you in the face. There has been plenty of evidence to see that demonstrates that.
This movie below sheds some light on the science that demonstrates this truth.
So very true, that. It seems every truth is like the first impression thing. We have an initial reaction to a truth claim just as with meeting a new person. We form a poorly- or not-thought out impression and then sit on that position with great moral clarity. First impressions are so important precisely because yer avrig kat does this as a matter of course. Then, once we have our extremely well cultivated opinion, there’s the joy of bias confirmation to carry us comfortably to our grave.

Once we’ve begun to mature, the price of learning something new often includes the price of admitting we used to be wrong. Maybe this is why so many promising conversations die before bearing fruit. Cheers to you, @Neri.

New Threads

Top Bottom