• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I tried to install VCV rack but for some reason I can't run it on my pc... Had to uninstall...
What do You think about Fruity loops 20 studio?

I can't run the software you mentioned...
The above link is what my "stim songs" look like(thx rodafina lol) I'm using only free version so it is what it is as I played that at one go. As I'm using free version I can't open the project again but... I love to play with the sound...

That is awesome! FL studio actually has a device (I believe it's still called Patcher) that allows you to basically get started with modular routing at least, if you want to check that out! Also, Bitwig and Ableton Live Live both allow the same demo policy; you have full access to both programs just without the ability to save, but Bitwig has an entire integrated modular system that's really easy to learn and super capable to do pretty much anything with.

This is what that by itself looks like:

(This was back when I shamefully used drum samples instead of making my own, lol - I never judge anybody else in that way, but for some reason I do when it comes to myself)

I'd love to re-explore Patcher myself and see if anything generative can be done with it! It's great to see someone else making music on here! Also, I don't know if I mentioned it or not but VCV is available as a forked VST plugin for FL studio under the name Cardinal Synth and it runs really well.

Last edited:
That is awesome! FL studio actually has a device (I believe it's still called Patcher) that allows you to basically get started with modular routing at least, if you want to check that out! Also, Bitwig and Ableton Live Live both allow the same demo policy; you have full access to both programs just without the ability to save, but Bitwig has an entire integrated modular system that's really easy to learn and super capable to do pretty much anything with.

I'd love to re-explore Patcher myself and see if anything generative can be done with it! It's great to see someone else making music on here!
Yeah I know patcher. I discovered patcher in mastering. Obviously I can't save projects so I'm trying to play and add effects in instruments... It's just annoying when You can't save and come back. I fell on love with GMS. Yeah playing with sound means sleepless nights sometimes hehe

(This was back when I shamefully used drum samples instead of making my own, lol - I never judge anybody else in that way, but for some reason I do when it comes to myself)

I'd love to re-explore Patcher myself and see if anything generative can be done with it! It's great to see someone else making music on here! Also, I don't know if I mentioned it or not but VCV is available as a forked VST plugin for FL studio under the name Cardinal Synth and it runs really well.
I'll try to get the VCV plugin fo FL studio;)

Yeah I know patcher. I discovered patcher in mastering. Obviously I can't save projects so I'm trying to play and add effects in instruments... It's just annoying when You can't save and come back. I fell on love with GMS. Yeah playing with sound means sleepless nights sometimes hehe

What's particularly crazy about FL is that it lets you export audio in demo mode, so as a crazy hack you can export whatever you've made and just reimport audio later - or, my favorite method is to just spit out a bunch of track renders and then resample or granulate the heck out of them (Fruity Granulizer does this).

What's particularly crazy about FL is that it lets you export audio in demo mode, so as a crazy hack you can export whatever you've made and just reimport audio later - or, my favorite method is to just spit out a bunch of track renders and then resample or granulate the heck out of them (Fruity Granulizer does this).
That's what I do sometimes but... It's not the same. Once You record Audio and then paste it in to FL. You play then with whole audio track... You are unable then to adjust settings on individual instruments on channel rack but You left with audio track that you possibly will be able to mix it with another tracks... Very awkward and not right way to create clear sound from scratch?

That's what I do sometimes but... It's not the same. Once You record Audio and then paste it in to FL. You play then with whole audio track... You are unable then to adjust settings on individual instruments on channel rack but You left with audio track that you possibly will be able to mix it with another tracks... Very awkward and not right way to create clear sound from scratch?

It's actually really common to begin sound design from previous work (even though it sounds really strange at first)! That's why they've got samplers, the granulizer and other ways of messing with audio - chopping and slicing is another really cool way to get percussive sounds from designs you've made previously.

I should also mention that the free Vital VST (the best Serum clone ever made) even allows you to import your audio as wavetables under various algorithms, or even inside the 'noise' slot (a secret sampler!) as regular audio. You can do way more with synthesis and resampling than most people like to talk about, but I like sharing secrets!

I actually make sample packs as a hobby (and to fund my modular addiction) and I often dip back into my supply to create more! Check out any resampling tutorial and you'll see what I'm taking about :)

Last edited:
That's true! You can create samples from audio You made! Yep. I have lot to learn still hehe.
Oh my gosh... Patcher You said...
I'm just running the above tune through:
Multi sidechain...
Game changer really. It can modulate the sound so randomly, but very exciting. Endless possibilities... Hehe Thanks;)

Oh my gosh... Patcher You said...
I'm just running the above tune through:
Multi sidechain...
Game changer really. It can modulate the sound so randomly, but very exciting. Endless possibilities... Hehe Thanks;)

Yes! Now you're thinking like a sound-designer!

Sidechaining is a really incredible tool, especially when you use the modulated signal to do weird things. A lot of people love the sound of sidechain compression, but what's even crazier is using that generated amplitude modulation on a filter cutoff, a reverb tail, or a giant macro on a whole FX chain!

Yes! Now you're thinking like a sound-designer!

Sidechaining is a really incredible tool, especially when you use the modulated signal to do weird things. A lot of people love the sound of sidechain compression, but what's even crazier is using that generated amplitude modulation on a filter cutoff, a reverb tail, or a giant macro on a whole FX chain!

I can't sleep anyway and it's nearly 5am here... So I think I'll do myself a coffee and dig a bit deeper into a huuuge gigantic map of this plugin!
I just tweaked it a bit and it already sound more interesting. I just need to focus on keeping it all in order and not to get lost in it.
It seems easy to over do it this way. But You just enlightened me that it is great way to create actual sample and mix it further... :) Thx

I can't sleep anyway and it's nearly 5am here... So I think I'll do myself a coffee and dig a bit deeper into a huuuge gigantic map of this plugin!
I just tweaked it a bit and it already sound more interesting. I just need to focus on keeping it all in order and not to get lost in it.
It seems easy to over do it this way. But You just enlightened me that it is great way to create actual sample and mix it further... :) Thx

Surprisingly, you'll find over time that it can also go really far - I agree that adding a bunch of LFOs or EGs willy-nilly can essentially just turn your designs into boring white-noise, but sometimes I like to start with just one EG or LFO and map it to a whole bunch of stuff until my sound is really convincing. When you have an idea for what you want to make (kick drum, snare, piano, guitar, dubstep bass, etc) you'll find some crazy techniques that work for you along the way! And of course, macros and X/Y pads being routed all over the place can help you find a 'sweet spot' for a lot of sounds.

Also, I have free codes for almost every pack I've made (link is in my signature > sample packs) if you need some starter material to mess with!

Surprisingly, you'll find over time that it can also go really far - I agree that adding a bunch of LFOs or EGs willy-nilly can essentially just turn your designs into boring white-noise, but sometimes I like to start with just one EG or LFO and map it to a whole bunch of stuff until my sound is really convincing. When you have an idea for what you want to make (kick drum, snare, piano, guitar, dubstep bass, etc) you'll find some crazy techniques that work for you along the way! And of course, macros and X/Y pads being routed all over the place can help you find a 'sweet spot' for a lot of sounds.

Also, I have free codes for almost every pack I've made (link is in my signature > sample packs) if you need some starter material to mess with!
The problem with me is that I have desire to create my own. Sometimes I won't listen to anything literally for ages so I'm not tempted to or unconsciously start playing something I heard... The effects, patchers plugins etc they seriously can enrich the sound but... Yeah You need first idea what You won't to play. Lot of fun hehe:) Mastering definitely a loads of fun.

The problem with me is that I have desire to create my own. Sometimes I won't listen to anything literally for ages so I'm not tempted to or unconsciously start playing something I heard... The effects, patchers plugins etc they seriously can enrich the sound but... Yeah You need first idea what You won't to play. Lot of fun hehe:) Mastering definitely a loads of fun.
I'm struggling though or actually I haven't had a chance to play lot with oscillators... I suppose this is where sound modulation comes handy?

But I love how the instruments playing catch if you know what I mean when you run them all through patcher. All going harmonious in different directions etc... And the GM's... Lovely:)

I'm struggling though or actually I haven't had a chance to play lot with oscillators... I suppose this is where sound modulation comes handy?

Mostly yes, the standard 'subtractive synth' setup is oscillator > amp > low-pass filter > output. Even with that, you can do a lot of experimenting with modulation to see what kinds of sounds you like - an LFO on the filter's cutoff is standard, but you can also do it on the resonance (q) or map your amp's envelope over to either one for starters.

A lot of synths are just built this way, usually routed with 3-4 oscillators, adding a filter and an FX bank at the end. It's all pretty simple once you cross those first few hurdles and free your mind, as Morphius would say!

Mostly yes, the standard 'subtractive synth' setup is oscillator > amp > low-pass filter > output. Even with that, you can do a lot of experimenting with modulation to see what kinds of sounds you like - an LFO on the filter's cutoff is standard, but you can also do it on the resonance (q) or map your amp's envelope over to either one for starters.

A lot of synths are just built this way, usually routed with 3-4 oscillators, adding a filter and an FX bank at the end. It's all pretty simple once you cross those first few hurdles and free your mind, as Morphius would say!
It ain't pretty simple hehe. But I do understand it. Biggest obstacle for me is learning the software.... But i love this sort of obstacles:) thanks:)

It ain't pretty simple hehe. But I do understand it. Biggest obstacle for me is learning the software.... But i love this sort of obstacles:) thanks:)

My PC is being a little janky tonight but I made the simplest demo in case it helps the process!

New Threads

Top Bottom