• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Thank Spectrum! I didn’t buy anything this Black Friday

All of this is in the US of course,

In the US, getting something for less is kind of a competitive sport. Also, a lot of people just act like they can frugal themselves out of poverty. When poverty doesn’t work that way.

I looked up black Friday on Wikipedia ,strange how one country perceives it one way and another country perceives it another,way India doesn't have it because they don't celebrate Christmas.
Also strange that black was seen as being evil or an omen !but Black Friday is to get sales started before Christmas so being in the black is good

In financial terms being in the black means turning a profit for the year. For a business to still be in the red after Thanksgiving is a bad sign that the business may be doomed to fail. The time frame for not ending the year in the negative is quickly coming to a close.

How we got from the logical origins of a good day for sales to the madness we have today I do not know. I’m not even entirely sure that Black Friday sales benefit businesses at all anymore. It’s no wonder that almost all of the good deals are on stuff that is going to be clearanced soon anyway.

Yet people still go crazy about buying outdated electronics. They are willing to camp out for hours, sometimes a full day, to buy something that will be on the clearance rack by January, likely for a similar price.

Extreme case, but this just goes to show how not worth it it is to get those amazing deals on Black Friday:

All of this is in the US of course, of all places on the planet. Still not my cup of tea regardless of the reality now.
If you look on Wikipedia it quotes the head of Greater Manchester police saying the shopping centre in Manchester should've been prepared for Black Friday ,people were injured ,he said they should've had more security guards -it's spread to England ,not that people werent killed in the sales in England before that.

black-friday-meme.jpg

I ordered a book on Scratch programming from Amazon today, their "Black Friday" sale is still on till Midnight tonight.

Dad's ordered an Amazon Echo for me for Christmas, they're trying to deliver it today, but obviously we're in London at my Brother's, hopefully the Postie will leave it with a Neighbour.

I saved 100% off the full price of every item by not buying anything this black friday, great savings!

While seeing films of black friday chaos makes me embarrassed to human, I was quite disappointed by how normal Bournemouth town centre was, I live right by the shops and was kind of looking forward to seeing some drama.

Being thankful for what you have? That sounds seditious in this con$umer $ociety. :p

After all, consider the few holidays we have that don't queue a buying spree of one kind or another ? :eek:

Being thankful for what you have? That sounds seditious in this con$umer $ociety. :p

After all, consider the few holidays we have that don't queue a buying spree of one kind or another ? :eek:

Do you not think that its an elaborate satire?

Set out to make fun of the russian bread queues of the 80s and 90s.

Doubtful. Most Americans don't have a clue about what goes on in other countries. Too busy shopping. :p
You've made me think when you said that what are you taught about world history at elementary school and high school?thanks

You've made me think when you said that what are you taught about world history at elementary school and high school?thanks

LOL. Try not to take this too profoundly. :p

I don't recall ever being specifically taught about chronic food and consumer product shortages in the Soviet Union while in public schools. History yes- but only on a cursory basis. But not the consequences of adversarial economic systems to consumers at the height of the Cold War.

The impact of Marxist-Leninism on consumers was something I had to learn at the university level having formally studied totalitarian systems. ;)

Last edited:
LOL. Try not to take this too profoundly. :p

I don't recall ever being specifically taught about chronic food and consumer product shortages in the Soviet Union while in public schools. History yes- but only on a cursory basis. But not the consequences of adversarial economic systems to consumers at the height of the Cold War.

The impact of Marxist-Leninism on consumers was something I had to learn at the university level having formally studied totalitarian systems. ;)
To be honest it doesn't sound any different from the history lessons I had a secondary school equivalent to high school

To be honest it doesn't sound any different from the history lessons I had a secondary school equivalent to high school

No doubt. However for me such things occurred in real-time. Scholastically speaking in terms of attending public school, they constituted economics- not history.

Then consider that I graduated from college a dozen years before the demise of the Soviet Union. ;)

No doubt. However for me such things occurred in real-time. Scholastically speaking in terms of attending public school, they constituted economics- not history.

Then consider that I graduated from college a dozen years before the demise of the Soviet Union. ;)

A complete aside ;
Just found out Nixon tried to put through a living wage way back when.
The democrats voted against as it didn’t go far enough. A different world that would have been.

A complete aside ;
Just found out Nixon tried to put through a living wage way back when.
The democrats voted against as it didn’t go far enough. A different world that would have been.

Beginning in 1970, Nixon tried a great number of drastic remedies to a faltering economy which was primarily the result of the cost of the war. None of them worked, and his successors Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter fared no better in attempting to mend a badly damaged economy.

Nixon did have a penchant for proposals which ideologically reflected moving in an opposite direction, because he always felt he of all people were more apt to get away with it. But then he tried to get away with Watergate too, and failed with that as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom