• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Terrible news. (Therapist stuff)

disconnected

V.I.P Member
I’m really in a bind here. My insurance provider changed. My coverage is the “same” (dollars and cents) but my current therapist does not accept my new provider! Ive been going to him about 1.5 years weekly and he really understands ASD. In my 41 years he’s the only one I’ve liked. He tried to calm me and stated he would try and get involved with the new provider. I’m very stressed and feel lost about what to do, or what may happen.

I hope your therapist can work something out. Me and many others here know the great value in finding a therapist that is a good “fit”. Honestly you may need to find one in the new network. Good luck in this process. I wish for you patients, perserverence and courage.

Give your therapist some time to try to get involved with this new provider.

He may well do so yet.

In the meantime, think about and possibly list the qualities and reasons you like about your therapist,

Those will be the criteria for the next should there be cause to look for one.

Another option might be asking therapist who he might recommend in his place?
He knows you,
has an idea how some of his colleagues practice therapy,
He may be able to find you another good fit.
Should it come to that.

Change can have us feeling insecure.
But we do still have options.

I’m really in a bind here. My insurance provider changed. My coverage is the “same” (dollars and cents) but my current therapist does not accept my new provider! Ive been going to him about 1.5 years weekly and he really understands ASD. In my 41 years he’s the only one I’ve liked. He tried to calm me and stated he would try and get involved with the new provider. I’m very stressed and feel lost about what to do, or what may happen.
You might be able to continue to see him but you would have to pay the full amount and submit the receipt for reimbursement by your insurance company. This is tangential but you've hit on the whole problem with the for profit system of healthcare and health insurance. It's hopelessly broken.

Being fortunate enough (at the moment - politics may change things over the next few years the way things are going) to live somewhere where it's free to access the majority of standard healthcare, unfortunately I can't suggest any in depth solutions - but, I don't know if it would be possible for your therapist to perhaps make recommendations as to others he knows of that would (a) accept your cover and (b) be a good match for you? That is if there's no way around it and you can't stay seeing him.

I had basically the same thing happen to me, and my therapist also tried doing that but was unable. I was mad at everyone, including her, for many years.

Hopefully it works out differently for you! Good luck!

This is a huge reason why I'm glad we have the NHS in the UK. Once I click with a practitioner I get to stay with them unless they move to another area. The alternative you're dealing with is just hateful and uncaring. I hope your therapist makes a connection with the new provider soon :)

Do they offer sliding scale payments? My therapist doesn't accept insurance but she does offer sliding scale payments. I only pay $80 per session (which is still a lot but it's worth it).

It is a tough situation. I am sorry you are going through this.
For profit medical insurance companies ignore what their decisions do to our lives.

It is a tough situation. I am sorry you are going through this.
For profit medical insurance companies ignore what their decisions do to our lives.

Agreed. Medicine for profit is inhumane. The fact that people die or suffer for lack of funds is a mark of shame wherever it happens. Healthcare is a human right, not a privilege. I'll leave it at that before I get a political rage on!
This isn't the place ;)

I hope he can work something out for you to stay with him, if not, maybe he can suggest someone he feels would suit you.

A couple thoughts.
Since you've been with your current one for a year and a half, you've probably learned a few things that help you get through your days. If not, then the therapist isn't doing as much good for you as you thought. Not saying they haven't, just making a point.
Hopefully what you've learned will help you deal with a transition, at least a lot better than you would have been prepared for before this past work.
Since your current therapist is wanting to help work with the new one, that means they will be interested in finding one that understands ASD well also. If you can't figure out a way to keep the one you have, try to trust a little that it's not going to be as bad as you expect. The truth is, sometimes it ends up being very helpful to get a new perspective on things.
There will be some things you miss from the current therapist, but you can be sure a new one will not be a carbon copy of the other. That would be impossible. But it might very well be a good thing.
I guess I'm just trying to urge you not to follow a path of defeat before you have taken a step on it yet. You might as well stay optimistic until you actually have something to base any other mood on. Tell your current therapist your concerns for sure.
Yeah there's a chance it might not work out. But I'd guess there's just as good a chance of it working out fine. These people are trained to know their stuff. I've seen four different counselors over the years and I've been surprised how well each of them has been able to do what they do. All four were very different, but all four were pretty good at what they did too. Hopefully you find the same.

Hello Everyone I would like to post an update. The oddest thing happened, my therapist was able to join the other network and receive payment . So it actually worked out. I am surprised and happy.

That is a happy ending, thanks for sharing, obviously your therapist wanted to keep you as a client, and he is able to accept more clients now.

New Threads

Top Bottom