• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Telepathic/Empathic science fiction

Jersey

As a science-fiction-ish concept, if you were brought to a world where you could be a complete telepathic/empathic type of person, would you? So you could read other people's thoughts all the time, and they could read yours? Personally, I would opt out of such a society, I'd rather not know what someone is thinking, and I certainly don't want someone else knowing what I'm thinking. I'm fine with talking to people about my thoughts, or writing them, but having someone just take my thoughts? No. And no, I don't think of this as sharing thoughts although some might. I prefer my privacy and would not want someone else essentially in my head.

Selfishly, I would only do it if I were the only one who could read minds. I'm always self-conscious and always wanted to ability to hear what others thought of me.

Presumably there is some limit. You couldn't 'hear' millions of minds simultaneously. Proximity probably... say 10 meters ?

When your mind wasn't fully occupied with some task you would have to develop mind blocking techniques...

'The Chinese squirrel eats lettuce at noon everyday while Klaus nibbles pickles in the central bank of Yellow Moldolvan chocolates skipped on Lake Vertical smiling Tuesday peaches in the mud of another Russian winter...'

Or 'Moon moon. Moon, moon moon. Moon. Moon moon.' etc.

Of course others would be trying to block you. But people would mess up and drop their guard, which could be fun.

There are certainly times I wish I could read someone's mind so I could know the truth of what they are
thinking about me.
But, to live that way all the time, no.
The ideal science fiction type of telepathy to me would to be able to talk with other people telepathically.
This would be like speech is to humans, controlled and only given and received at will.
You would still have your thought privacy until you wanted to share like talking with another.

No - I would be overwhelmed by the constant stream of information. I think I would go crazy!

New Threads

Top Bottom