• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Tech support, Win 10

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
This thread is for basic information and tutorials on how to use this site, based on a home computer, that runs windows 10, with a chrome browser.

One of the new people is struggling with basic issues. How to use the site, how to view threads, what is a thread anyways, and basically everything else.

I cant do the teaching because I am on a phone and apparently it all looks different. I may need screen shots posted here if anyone can do it.

There may well be an archived thread that goes into it, but I cant see the search results on my lil screen, the text is tiny. I cannot search well at all, usually people help me with that.

I would request these limits for this thread:

1 client lacks basic computer skills generally, they would not be able to work alone, at more complicated tasks than basic email, if that.

2 client has never used any sort of forum or blog or posted to social media before at all.

3 client has little working vocabulary concerning modern ways, and technology of information is not well understood

3a client may have visual and/or other impairment. I mean to attempt to generate a basic explanation, as a guideline. Let's keep it simple, no fancy talk please.

My fond hope is that new people can post questions to this thread, about how this site works.

4 client wishes to participate in the forum

Last edited:
It is also intended for new people generally, and those who lack basic understanding of how to use the forum, and have technical problems, or need some gentle, fun, supportive, accepting guidance!!

Last edited:
I'm sort of hoping to hand this one off to someone more qualified who, hope must never perish, has an actual key board and a mouse. I have a small touch screen. It is a smart phone and a great blessing to have.

So let's just get started..
What do you see at the top of this page, if you just scroll up to the top of the page?

Last edited:
You may just read the posts, and simply select back[<] on the browser to return to the list of topics. The back button on your browser looks like a left facing arrow

Trending topics works the same way. They are the same articles on both lists. Trending topics is a shorter list of topics. The more popular issues of the day are trending topics.

You may leave a comment on almost any topic by clicking respond, or simply going to the bottom of the page. Look at the bottom of this page and type something in the shout box and then click "POST REPLY"

Last edited:
Line One: (in the far right corner)
My Profile Pic & Yeshuasdaughter (menu for various settings if I click on it)/
Inbox (w/a pic of a letter)
Alerts
(A white number in a red box will appear if I have any private messages or alerts)

Line Two:
Autism Forums
(circular rainbow underneath)

Line Three: (the following black boxes) FORUMS/ BLOGS/ MEDIA/ RESOURCES/ MEMBERS/ CHAT

Line Four: (options depending on what I clicked on in line 2) So if I click on Forums, the following options are available:
And to the far right of that is the Search box

Line Five:
Information about where I am on the forums. There are three grey boxes that say:
Forums/ Welcome to Autism Forums/ Introduce Yourself

Line Six: The title of your thread, followed by your post and then the comments.

Let's keep going with it here and try to use the description you have just written to explain some more basic functions.

FORUMS:

By far, the most used, most helpful, and most fun part of the site where people can post or share public threads about a number of topics. Topics are grouped into Categories based on the Subject, for ease of use of the site.

BLOGS:

These for lack of a better description, are public diary entries. People use these to write about whatever they want: to either share information with others, or get something off their chest.

MEDIA:

You can browse through photos that other people have shared, or post some of your own!

RESOURCES:

Sort of the phone book/ self help section, where you can go to find websites, phone numbers, and information that is relevant to the Autistic Community, and parents/caregivers of Autistic people.

CHAT:

It is rarely used, but it is a place where you can go to just talk in real time with other users of this site. If you see a little red box attached to the chat icon, that means one or more people are on the chat, and you can talk to them.

Let's talk a little about the FORUMS

This is what my screen looks like when I first enter the site:
upload_2021-9-2_17-35-8.jpeg

1. The first section is titled "Welcome to Autism Forums". Inside the box, you will find various sections for new members. It's not widely used, as it's mostly there to introduce new users, and assist them with learning the site.
  2. The second section is titled "Autism Spectrum Discussions". This is the most frequently used part of the forums. People use this section mostly to ask for help or give advice about problems in their life. There is a subgroup in this section titled: Private Discussions (Members Only). This section is not visible to anyone who is not a member of Autismforums. It is mostly for things very private, that people don't want any random person on the internet to find.
  3. The third section is titled "Off Topic Discussions". This is by far, my favorite part of the forums. Here you can play word or picture games with other users, and make friends. You can also post or listen to music and watch videos. You can talk about movies, art, or sports. There's also an "Off Topic" section where you don't have to post anything even pertinent to Autism, and can just info-dump or read about any subject you like.

Below these boxes, you will find a big box that says "New Threads". If someone posts something new on the forums, it will appear here for a short time, in order for other users to be able to catch up on the latest posts.

Below that box, There is a large box titled "Hot Topics". This is similar to "New Threads", except it is where you can go to find the most popular threads that everyone is clicking on and commenting on.

To view a thread you are interested in, simply click on its title and browse through the post and the comments. In the bottom, there is a box where you can post your response too! Under each comment that other users post, you'll see a row of cute little pictures. If you like, you can click on one of them to show the person how it made you feel. The thumbs up is the most popular one to use, and if you click on it, it means you like what they have to say.

Last edited:
Let's talk a little about the FORUMS

This is what my screen looks like when I first enter the site:
View attachment 70367

1. The first section is titled "Welcome to Autism Forums". Inside the box, you will find various sections for new members. It's not widely used, as it's mostly there to introduce new users, and assist them with learning the site.
  2. The second section is titled "Autism Spectrum Discussions". This is the most frequently used part of the forums. People use this section mostly to ask for help or give advice about problems in their life. There is a subgroup in this section titled: Private Discussions (Members Only). This section is not visible to anyone who is not a member of Autismforums. It is mostly for things very private, that people don't want any random person on the internet to find.
  3. The third section is titled "Off Topic Discussions". This is by far, my favorite part of the forums. Here you can play word or picture games with other users, and make friends. You can also post or listen to music and watch videos. You can talk about movies, art, or sports. There's also an "Off Topic" section where you don't have to post anything even pertinent to Autism, and can just info-dump or read about any subject you like.

Below these boxes, you will find a big box that says "New Threads". If someone posts something new on the forums, it will appear here for a short time, in order for other users to be able to catch up on the latest posts.

Below that box, There is a large box titled "Hot Topics". This is similar to "New Threads", except it is where you can go to find the most popular threads that everyone is clicking on and commenting on.

To view a thread you are interested in, simply click on its title and browse through the post and the comments. In the bottom, there is a box where you can post your response too! Under each comment that other users post, you'll see a row of cute little pictures. If you like, you can click on one of them to show the person how it made you feel. The thumbs up is the most popular one to use, and if you click on it, it means you like what they have to say.

That's a fantastic and well written bit of technical prose, I like it very much.

Here's a fun set of questions that new people may have:

How do I follow a thread and what does that mean?[1a]

What is a profile post?[2a]

How do I post a thread and what topics are allowed where?[3a]

* How do I follow a thread and what does that mean?

When you discover a forum post that you are interested in, and you want to be part of the conversation, you will notice that across from the title of the post, on the right hand side, in small letters are the words "Watch Thread". Go ahead and click on that. You will now receive notifications whenever someone comments on that thread.

Your notifications will appear in the upper right hand corner, inside the "Alerts" box. It has a little bell next to it.

Alternately, if you comment on that thread, you will automatically be set as watching the thread.

If you grow bored of the contents of the thread and no longer wish to receive notifications about it, across from the title of the post, will now be written "Unwatch Thread". Click on that, and you won't receive further notifications.

* What is a profile post?

Your Profile is the part of the website that is all yours. Across from the words "Asperger's & Autism Forum", you will see a box where your profile picture can go, and next to it, your username. Go ahead and click on your name.

Now you are on your Profile Page. You will see a narrow, white, horizontal box. This is where you can type a very short post about how you're feeling, what you're thinking about, something you did, or what you're watching on television, etc. The post must be very brief, but it's a fun way to express yourself to others.

You can see other people's profile posts by going back to the main webpage, and scrolling all the way down. You will see a box titled "New Profile Posts". In this section, you can read a brief overview of what everyone is doing.

You will also notice a narrow, white box there too. It is a shortcut where you can make a profile post, without having to take the trouble to go into your profile.

* How do I post a thread and what topics are allowed where?

For this website to be neat and orderly, we try to keep everything categorized right where it should be.

If you would like to post a new thread to the forums, first go to the main page. Next, select the Forum Subject that you think best fits your topic you will write about.

Let's say you wish to write about your interest in Classic Cars. You can post a thread that will kind of be like a newspaper article all about the subject, that people can comment on.

Classic Cars have nothing to do with autism, but they are a special interest. So if you see the box that says "Specific Autism Spectrum Discussions", you will see a section that is titled "Obsessions and Interests". Go ahead and click on that.

In the upper middle of the page, you will see a blue box that is titled "POST NEW THREAD". Go ahead and click on that. Now you should be on a page titled "Create Thread".

First of all think of a title for your thread. This will catch the readers' attention, and draw them to your thread. Type that into the box that says "Thread Title".

Next, in the large box, you type out the contents of your thread (as if it were an article). Remember to keep the language and contents clean (we have children who use this site), and keep the contents on subject.

Make it as long as you like. Have fun!

Once you are satisfied with the contents, scroll down. Ignore all the little boxes and options and go straight to the blue box titled "CREATE THREAD". Click on that, and voila! Your thread is now live on the site. People will be able to read and react to it.

You will receive notifications every time someone comments on the thread. If at any time these comments become tedious or boring, you can stop recieving Alerts just like you would for any other thread, by simply going into the thread, and clicking on the words "Unwatch Thread", located across from the title of the thread.

HAVE FUN ON THE FORUMS!

This thread is for basic information and tutorials on how to use this site, based on a home computer, that runs windows 10, with a chrome browser.

One of the new people is struggling with basic issues. How to use the site, how to view threads, what is a thread anyways, and basically everything else.

I cant do the teaching because I am on a phone and apparently it all looks different. I may need screen shots posted here if anyone can do it.

There may well be an archived thread that goes into it, but I cant see the search results on my lil screen, the text is tiny. I cannot search well at all, usually people help me with that.

I would request these limits for this thread:

1 client lacks basic computer skills generally, they would not be able to work alone, at more complicated tasks than basic email, if that.

2 client has never used any sort of forum or blog or posted to social media before at all.

3 client has little working vocabulary concerning modern ways, and technology of information is not well understood

3a client may have visual and/or other impairment. I mean to attempt to generate a basic explanation, as a guideline. Let's keep it simple, no fancy talk please.

My fond hope is that new people can post questions to this thread, about how this site works.

4 client wishes to participate in the forum
Thank you for starting this thread. How will I know if anyone has responded? Is there a way to get alerts? I have used pc's for many years but I've shied away from social networking. It confuses me to have to sort through so many postings in order to find something relevant; it all appears chaotic. I need help making sense of how to find what I am looking for. It is also unnerving having dialogue with someone who I have never met or even seen. I am having difficulty understanding how information is organized if it is organized at all. I know I am not alone in using social networking. I have now met two fellow aspies who are both much younger to me that find zoom meetings too alienating to participate in. I can do Zoom, Skype, Microsoft teams et al but they make me uncomfortable. I have enough trouble connecting with people as is. The added layers of anonymity and physical distance amplify the condition. But I understand that forums like this may be the most practical way to find and communicate with you all. I want to learn how to use the forum and I know how anxious I am made by this method of communicating. Thank you for your help.

In answer to your question, look above to find " follow a thread" and do what it says there. Then you will get notifications about this thread.

There is not much organization other than the basic structure already mentioned above. With some patience you can learn to use the search feature, to look for specific things.

Being anonymous actually protects you. And it makes it easier for some of us to be more forthcoming. It's important to not give out your full legal name, date of birth, location or any other vital statistic like that. Do relate experiences, career paths, education, and all the rest, but obscure your identity please, it's for safety.

In some ways you are more advanced than am I, I have yet to zoom. The forum is easy. You really cant break it, as long as you are courteous and polite to people here, you will do just fine.

@Dennis S , you said you wanted to learn how to use the search option.

It is difficult for me too, so here is a basic tutorial of how I do it.

First I click on the Autism Forums main banner at the top of the page. That takes me to the main page for the forums.

Second, I go over to the search bar and type out what I want to search for. In the below example, I wrote "Autism".

Third I go to the bottom of the box that appears, and click on the blue box labeled Search.

Everything that was ever posted on the forums, with that word in it will pop up. Scroll thru and find which one you were looking for.

It acts up if you're in other areas of the site or if you don't do it that way, and I don't know why. I suspect that there is more to it, that I don't understand. But this is the easiest way I know how.

upload_2021-9-5_15-47-4.jpeg

New Threads

Top Bottom