• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Talking to ppl is hard

If I have something coherent to contribute I might chime in, but as a whole, I don't talk to people very much. (I'm way more articulate with a keyboard.)

When in public, I rarely speak, but I talk to Rue and Potato Cat almost constantly when I'm home alone. They don't care about my topics and like the noise.

I don't like talking to people in general, although many think I am a good listener. Maybe because I am not talking. :)

I am good at what I do, where there are patterns of speech and behaviors. I meet with people in their homes or workplaces, or schools to assist them in getting services to assist them with their disability. After a certain number of years, the patterns become familiar. I have several selections of patter to address common concerns and explanations about the way this incredibly convoluted and irrational program works. I also have to make a lot of phone calls that I hate, but again, have developed patterns of what to say, what information I need to get, etc. Because covid shut down all face to face communications, I did learn to use and be comfortable with Zoom, FaceTime, Duo, etc.

All this practice and exposure has gotten me to the place where I can assemble a reasonable facsimile of good communication for 10-20 minutes, even if I don't know someone.

New Threads

Top Bottom