• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Talent Speaking: Were The Beatles Actually Any Good?

Were the Beatles actually any good, talent wise?

• Yes! They were musically and lyrically diverse, and they changed pop culture forever!

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • NO! I don't get it. They are just twanging noisily, singing nonsense. Just a drugged up boy band!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sort of. They had a big influence on music and culture, but there were much better 60s musicians.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Other. Explain in the comments below.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
It's been quite a few decades since the fab four debuted and Beatlemania spread around the world.

So now that we've had time to think about it, were they actually any good?

In their early years they were no different from any boy band, and in their later years, they were very high on drugs, and sometimes their lyrics didn't make any sense.

Love 'em or hate 'em, they changed the world.

What's your opinion?
their lyrics make sense if you're from Liverpool and devotee of a sect of Hinduism ,im from n.e.England, which is a lot like Liverpool as I live near a northern river ,if you were born before the 80s you'd understand more references

Many people who lived the 60s often look back at those times as being the most turbulent and saddening
Paul McCartney and George Harrison seemed very innovative but John Lennon alone wasn't a great lyricist Ringo Starr almost non existent I wonder what the previous drummer would have brought to the group there is another musician called the fifth Beatle an African American but you never heard much from him.

Actually it was the influence of George Martin that led the Beatles to dump drummer Pete Best for Richard "Ringo" Starkey. Martin liked Best's looks, but he thought his drumming was inferior. I know there are a lot of musicians out there who felt that of the four of them, it was Ringo who was considered to be the most experienced and professional of them.

The black man who occasionally jammed with the Beatles on the keyboard was Billy Preston, a well known musician in his own right. I know my pop culture instructor in college couldn't say enough about him as "the Fifth Beatle".

It was Stuart Suttcliffe who once played the bass for the Beatles, a personal friend of John Lennon. But he left the Beatles in Germany to pursue art- and his girlfriend Astrid Kirscherr. He died of a stroke in 1962.

Last edited:
I don't care for the Beatles, as a general rule.

However, one morning I was cleaning up the apartment & flicked on the big wooden radio in the corner. It locked in to the Middletown radio station playing "Strawberry Fields Forever," and that was the first time I ever heard The Beatles and enjoyed them.

Thought about turning it off--
--kinda twiddled with the dials a bit, thinking how to get this hippie garbage off my radio--
--then turned it up & let 'er buck.

I think they were a neat little band, wrote some fun music, and were really creative. And that's coming from someone who much preferred blasting Fred Astaire songs & Monty Python sketches over said radio.

I am more a LED zeppelin fan than the beatles.

I've got all their hits as well. Recognizing Jimmy Page as one of the absolute top guitarists. George Harrison was an excellent guitarist, but I'm not sure he'd make the list of rock guitarists I'm thinking of.

MY cousin plays Bonham And sings Plant concurrently. probably the only person on the planet capable of doing so and be credible. you may want to check him out. Eddie Zeeman.

Paul McCartney and George Harrison seemed very innovative but John Lennon alone wasn't a great lyricist Ringo Starr almost non existent I wonder what the previous drummer would have brought to the group there is another musician called the fifth Beatle an African American but you never heard much from him.

The "fifth Beatle". Do you mean Billy Preston?

It's a common myth that Ringo was a bad drummer, replaceable or his drumming was inconsequential to the Beatles' music. When I was first a Beatles fan as a teenager I thought the same thing. I grew to appreciate his understated but invaluable style to the overall Beatles sound. I liken Ringo's drumming contribution to the Beatle's music to how John Paul Jones' bass playing contributed to Led Zeppelin's overall sound. Not overtly prominent but crucial and perfect nonetheless

I like this young woman's explanation about Ringo's drumming talents.

Last edited:
Ringo is a lot of guy's favorite Beatle. He was the funny one. Harrison was mine. There was a certain spirituality in his music. John Lennon mostly wrote "Lucy in the Sky" and what an incredibly evocative song that was! Wife loved McCartney because of his puppy-dog eyes.

It's a common myth that Ringo was a bad drummer, replaceable or his drumming was inconsequential to the Beatles' music. When I was first a Beatles fan as a teenager I thought the same thing. I grew to appreciate his understated but invaluable style to the overall Beatles sound. I liken Ringo's drumming contribution to the Beatle's music to how John Paul Jones' bass playing contributed to Led Zeppelin's overall sound. Not overtly prominent but crucial and perfect nonetheless

Didn't mean that ,he just didn't stand out as a musician, in a group sort of, but not as someone you think yes! thats Ringo ,the others you could say yes it's definitely from them.
For instance Phil Collins stands out for his whole contribution not just a drummer

Here's my opinion:

Personally, if we're talking sixties music, I'm much more of a Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Crosby Stills Nash & Young kind of girl.

The Beatles are just twanging away and yelling. And John Lennon was an awful father and for pretending to be so humble, he sure showed off his wealth a lot.

And I hate The Rolling Stones. Don't even get me started.

But Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix, and almost anything Motown produced were amazing. And so much of the psychedelic proto-hard rock of the era blows me away, even though I'm a late Gen Xer, too young to have experienced it in person.

Nothing in The Beatles' playbook will ever surpass something like this:

Like the rolling stonesl but I like soul music,what you've got to understand about the British groups is ,they are from a different culture, not just vacuous music that lasts an hour, like people thinking clothing can be thrown away after a day, so-called disposable fashion.

Here's my opinion:

Personally, if we're talking sixties music, I'm much more of a Beach Boys, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Crosby Stills Nash & Young kind of girl.

The Beatles are just twanging away and yelling. And John Lennon was an awful father and for pretending to be so humble, he sure showed off his wealth a lot.

And I hate The Rolling Stones. Don't even get me started.

But Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix, and almost anything Motown produced were amazing. And so much of the psychedelic proto-hard rock of the era blows me away, even though I'm a late Gen Xer, too young to have experienced it in person.

Nothing in The Beatles' playbook will ever surpass something like this:

You do know your music, impressed.

His voice was unique as well. In Sgt. Pepper, possibly the most important album ever made, that was his voice in "With Little Help from My Friends."

New Threads

Top Bottom