• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Taking online college courses, should I mention my Asperger’s/Autism?

SliverOfSand

This year I’m taking an online program through a college, and they have videos talking about speaking to counsellors for learning disabilities and other mental health conditions. I have never taken a college level course before. I’m worried that I’ll fall behind, since I have a really hard time making and keeping a consistent schedule. I don’t know if autism counts as a learning disability (it definitely doesn’t seem like it to me). I also don’t have an official diagnosis. In the video they did say that I can still reach out to a counsellor if I don’t have a diagnosis, but I still feel strange about it.

Also, since it’s an online course, I don’t know what they could do to help, since it’s all mostly my responsibility to make sure I get everything done. I could see that letting them know before courses start would be a good thing in case I ever have an issue with a teacher. I’m just really nervous about this transition, and I’m not sure what the best course of action would be...

Autism isn't a learning disability or a mental health condition, but nevertheless there can be aspects of how we are that affect studying, such as if you have slow processing, or our typical communication issues where we lack intuition or fail to make what to NT'S would be intuitive connections, and of course poor Executive function issues where we find it hard to organise ourselves and our work in various ways. Someone recently mentioned they failed a paper through misinterpreting the question, I remember getting a bare pass for an assignment for the same reason.

I don't know what the point would be to raise this unless you're getting a diagnosis though, it might be better to raise any issues you have with studying, plus I suppose you could say you suspect autistic traits, but depends what type of course it is or whether they'd understand what that means in any case. I hope it's an interesting training, does it lead to a qualification?

Worked in the public schools for a few years and autism was definitely considered a learning disability. I subbed for classes that specialized in Aspies. Some of them were very sharp but the inability to socialize has a powerful impact on the learning process. Of course, you didn't always get into those classes unless you caused headaches for teachers and other students and your parents were willing to go to bat for you. Mostly kids on the border between ASD-1 and ASD-2. Severely autistic kids got a different class situation.

Autism isn't a learning disability or a mental health condition, but nevertheless there can be aspects of how we are that affect studying, such as if you have slow processing, or our typical communication issues where we lack intuition or fail to make what to NT'S would be intuitive connections, and of course poor Executive function issues where we find it hard to organise ourselves and our work in various ways. Someone recently mentioned they failed a paper through misinterpreting the question, I remember getting a bare pass for an assignment for the same reason.

I don't know what the point would be to raise this unless you're getting a diagnosis though, it might be better to raise any issues you have with studying, plus I suppose you could say you suspect autistic traits, but depends what type of course it is or whether they'd understand what that means in any case. I hope it's an interesting training, does it lead to a qualification?

It’s a certificate in office administration, which consists of a lot of organization. I don’t have a problem with organizing files and such, just my time. I will also be taking courses for employability skills, so I’m sort of worried that I can’t do the ‘social aspects’ of the course. I am mostly worried about that, since I’m basically going to be a secretary, so I have to be aware of how I come across to others (which I’m not good at doing right now).

Worked in the public schools for a few years and autism was definitely considered a learning disability. I subbed for classes that specialized in Aspies. Some of them were very sharp but the inability to socialize has a powerful impact on the learning process. Of course, you didn't always get into those classes unless you caused headaches for teachers and other students and your parents were willing to go to bat for you. Mostly kids on the border between ASD-1 and ASD-2. Severely autistic kids got a different class situation.

My courses are all online, so I don’t think there are any other class options for Aspies. I’m thinking that if I let a counsellor know, maybe they could just let me know what I need to do so that I can make sure I keep up with my courses? Like I said earlier, I need to learn how to be socially conscious of myself and others, and I’m worried that my current social awkwardness will get in the way of that...

If you get the opportunity to do a co-op or practicum placement as part of the program, I would go for it, as it can be a great way to get some experience in an environment that's more forgiving and learning conductive.

And while you may not want or need to disclose, you may wish to consider preparing for others a short summary of how you work best (e.g. I prefer direct communication, and am more at ease with written communication over oral/verbal).

Being super organized is a great asset for any admin / secretary / exec asst / coordinator type role. In my experience, it often comes down to how well you fit in with your boss and/or those you regularly work with - I've seen some situations where people have very different styles, but they end up complementing each other nicely and make a great team, so by no means is it necessary to work in a team of like-minded people.

Need to know basis only!!!
What cig114 said! Most people don't have a clue and if they do it doesn't matter. You will be expected to function just like anyone else without any special consideration.

I trust an academic counselor as far as I could throw them.

Mentioning it could set up an expectation of failure on their part. Or it could be considered an attempt to get underserved special treatment. It is impossible for them to know if you are really on the spectrum or not from your say-so.

If you have the medical paperwork to back up your diagnosis, it couldn't hurt to let the college's disability office know. I am currently taking online courses at my university and it is considered a disability.

Your point with what they would be able to do online is a valid concern. While I'm not sure what they could do, they may have or know of some options that you may not be aware of. It would also give them an opportunity to be a backup set of eyes in case they see something that you're doing that you not aware of if that makes sense.

Best of luck to you either way!

New Threads

Top Bottom