• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sugar Addictions?

Galaxy Freeze

I read that a good amount of people with Asperger's have an addiction to sugar, and I know I do!

I would eat candy (specifically chocolate) all day every day if I had the chance. Once I eat one little piece of candy, it's almost impossible for me to stop. It's kind of irritating.

Do you guys have any sugar addictions? Whether it's from fruit, chocolate, candy, etc.?

I have low blood sugar and I'm addicted protein drinks, yogurt, and I LOVE icecream but don't eat it often due to trying to lose weight.

I do get sugar crazy. It's under control now more than ever before.

My current addiction is mustard. I eat mustard several times a day, sometimes just on lettuce.

When I begin eating sugar, for example, ice cream, I overindulge. That is, I eat a lot.

I am not addicted in the sense that I must do this daily but, when I do, I go all out.

But, I just remembered: Every evening at 6:00 I drink one can of Coca-Cola.

It has to be at 6:00 PM (Or after) and it has to be in a can (No plastic bottles, please). OCD.

It is now 6:12 PM and I am drinking a can of Coke.

Yes, this has become a habit. Is it the sugar or just the idea of the ritual; Same time, same drink?

I think it is both.

-Matthew-

Yeah, it's probably both. I find myself always eating chocolate ice cream between 8:30 and 8:45, right after my shower.

Not sure if it's some sort of routine, but it probably just happens to be the time I finish my shower, so I'm not sure. And I don't do it every night, about 2/3 of the time.

I do like it but limit my intake.

I am trying to find a lunch routine, most can vegetables. I try to avoid lots of bread. I hear Diet Coke or any diet cola will cause you to gain weight? Been trying those very large cans at the grocery store, like green beans and potatoes. Italian green beans with spicy seasoning. I usually take two Tupperware's of veggies to work and have one at noon and 3PM. I work late and hate driving home so hungry I could eat the steering wheel of the car.

Sweets are good, but I need a routine so I don't indulge too much. I have low blood sugar and just three meals a day does not work well, a few smaller is much better.

Eating a lot of sugar usually gives me a headache. But I do like some sweet stuff though. But if I say... would eat an entire bag of candy by my own, chances are I'll end up getting a headache. So I have to spread out the intake a bit.

But yeah, I like it... I like eating ice cream and candy. Chocolate, that really depends on what kind it is. And then there's the soda's. I like a lot of soda's, pepsi/coke (or whatever brand you have around) is one of my favorites, though I like Dr. pepper a bit more. And then there's the Fernandes drink which tastes like really sweet bubblegum. I can easily go through 2 bottles a day.

I can't concentrate without sugar. I sometimes walk to the store just to buy candy and then go home. I love chocolate, cookies, ice cream, frozen yogurt, chocolate mousse cakes, and desserts. Though recently, I have been trying to switch from eating garbage to eating fruit...it's not easy.

Yeah I get headaches when I have too much sugar, the problem is sometimes I keep eating it despite the headache!

I really need to listen to my body more, haha.

i read autism can sharpen one sense, or more, and numb another, or more.
i have a lousy sense of smell and can hardly smell anything, but my sense of taste is very developed. i can't eat: candy, chocolate, honey, whipped cream, jam and most ice creams. it'll be for me like eating syrup mixed with honey and spoons of sugar, get the picture?
once my nieces made salad and asked me to taste it. i asked if it's spicy and they said, "A bit." i took an eighth of a spoon and choked, coughed, and drank a galloon of water. i can only handle bland food, execpt it doesnt seem bland to me at all. and i can tell the difference between brands of miniral water.
maybe you have a highlighted sense of taste and the food seems bland to you, so you need sweet stuff.

i read autism can sharpen one sense, or more, and numb another, or more.
i have a lousy sense of smell and can hardly smell anything, but my sense of taste is very developed. i can't eat: candy, chocolate, honey, whipped cream, jam and most ice creams. it'll be for me like eating syrup mixed with honey and spoons of sugar, get the picture?
once my nieces made salad and asked me to taste it. i asked if it's spicy and they said, "A bit." i took an eighth of a spoon and choked, coughed, and drank a galloon of water. i can only handle bland food, execpt it doesnt seem bland to me at all. and i can tell the difference between brands of miniral water.
maybe you have a highlighted sense of taste and the food seems bland to you, so you need sweet stuff.

Oh... I can usually tell apart most brands of a same product as well. People stare at me as if I'm pointing out something "strange". Luckily I don't have that entire bland food thing, I love my spices and use a lot in most of my foods. So I think I pretty much end up making tastes more obvious.

I think I may be addicted to the "lift" that sugar can give, not just to my body but to my mood. Add chocolate to that and it seems like the perfect drug, hahaha! Specifically, a nice European dark chocolate, around 65% cocoa content. Absolute heaven.

I think I may be addicted to the "lift" that sugar can give, not just to my body but to my mood. Add chocolate to that and it seems like the perfect drug, hahaha! Specifically, a nice European dark chocolate, around 65% cocoa content. Absolute heaven.

That's pretty much the same theory I have about drugs. It's not the substance, it's the feeling, perception and high you crave. Not saying you're a coco-junkie... but I feel it's a bit of the same.

That's pretty much the same theory I have about drugs. It's not the substance, it's the feeling, perception and high you crave. Not saying you're a coco-junkie... but I feel it's a bit of the same.
You can call me a cocoa-head! As a long ago reformed recreational drug user (I attended high school in the '70s, just sayin'), I agree with you.:H. See, I wear sunglasses so you can't see the effect of chocolate on my eyes.:cute:

I really don't know if I'm addicted to sugar (never quit it). But I'm pretty sure I can qualify for being addicted to caffeine. I consume a ridiculous amount of coffee and coca cola daily, so much that people have commented on my caffeine intake (and the times I drink it). I do actually feel weird and grumpy when I go without.

I'm not big on eating sweets/chocolate/crisps but when I do decide to buy them, I will eat until they are all gone. I am just coming out of a big addiction to energy drinks and Coke. I have drank so much of both that now I am needing to be tested for Diabetes. I am seeing a nurse in the morning to give blood samples. As I'm sure everyone knows Coke and energy drinks, especially Lucozade, are full of sugar/glucose. There's also a high amount of caffeine which contributed to my sleeping disorder. Now, I try to avoid energy drinks and Coke as much as possible and opt for the sugar-free Zero products.

I don't eat sugar.
It messes me up.

I quit using sugar because it
made me sick [flashing lights,
seizures].

Last edited:
It's a struggle for me to stay away from sugar for very long.

But is this a metabolic issue or a neurological issue? Beats me...

New Threads

Top Bottom