• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Struggles with perfectionism and things "feeling right"?

cfc

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and OCD, and one thing that I have struggled with for the last few years is Perfectionism to do with football. I support Chelsea, and I have become obsessed with many elements being “just right”. For example, full-backs or wing-backs had to wear Numbers 2 and 3 on the back of their shirts, and the goalkeeper’s preferred foot has to be his right foot, as opposed to his left. Why this is the case, I don’t know, it just “feels right”. Aversions to the rule make me feel physically sick, and also makes me feel like winning is “fake” and unenjoyable. Again, I know that this is irrational, but something’s taking over me. Our goalkeeper, Thibaut Courtois, is left-footed, which is triggering all of these feelings at the moment. Can anyone relate to anything like this, and does anyone have any tips on how to deal with it, and turn it on it’s head?

Oh my. Might be easier to just say "yes" and leave it at that.

More often than not I find my own sense of perfectionism a challenge at the least, and a curse at the worst.

Leaving me at times for it to be very difficult to enjoy much of any creative hobby let alone other things I may not even like, let alone those I cherish.

Last edited:
Yes, but I don't have the energy at the moment to go into detail.

So far I haven't found that much that has really helped, other than avoiding things/situations/hobbies.

New Threads

Top Bottom