• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stress and anxiety in people with asperges?

I've always been very neurotic. Little things bother me and cause me to freak out. I often times get anxiety or panic attacks if something or someone is bothering me and won't stop. I get very stressed out, very easily. Small things that wouldn't bother most people can make me totally crazy. I'm wondering if other people with asperges experience this? The stress or anxiety disorders.... I don't necessarily have problems with cognitive anxiety but behavioral I wouldn't deny. It's the way that I get so stressed out and can't seem to control it that is a major problem.

I'm okay most of the time. Then I'll get in in my head that my wife is down about something. I'll ask her about it. She'll say she's fine. I'll push, "are you sure? Are you sure?".She'll swear up and down she's fine. I still won't be able to shake the feeling "but something's different! Something isn't right! What is it!?" And I worry so much that I end up freaking MYSELF out.

I get stressed when I have to do things outside of my comfortzone. This includes applying for jobs or communicating with a person I don't feel like communicating with. This never really limited me, though. I try to do things, whether I like it or not. That's one way of dealing with it, I guess.

It's like, fighting, yelling. My family stresses me out a lot. Just everything they do. My brother is annoying. Also, when I have to do things I don't want to it I get stressed.

I have severe anxiety. I am anxious almost all the time. When things get bad at work I get tremors in my hands and inner ear spasms. I am told to take clonazepam for it, but studies so long tern use can cause brain damage. So I just try to suffer through. I was told by the doc who did my assessment my anxiety is worse than what most people consider anxiety, and to take the meds. While my actual doctor said to go off them because of the brain issues.

I have severe anxiety. I am anxious almost all the time. When things get bad at work I get tremors in my hands and inner ear spasms. I am told to take clonazepam for it, but studies so long tern use can cause brain damage. So I just try to suffer through. I was told by the doc who did my assessment my anxiety is worse than what most people consider anxiety, and to take the meds. While my actual doctor said to go off them because of the brain issues.
I get the ear myoclonus too! I am about to pick up a rx for a beta blocker to take occasionally for it. I will stay away from benzos myself. I think they are scary. I have heard too many bad stories regarding them and so trusting instincts on it may be wise. The Stevie Nicks story tells the story shared by the many non-famous people who experienced this:

Stevie Nicks: a survivor's story - Telegraph

I feel like the amount of stress I come in to, how often and how easily I get anxiety and even panic attacks, I should be on medication. I really think it would help I just don't know what kind would be effective.

I get stressed when people are expecting me to be on time for things as i suffer badly with insomnia i often have to take naps in the daytime and it can disrupt plans.

On my diagnosis it says that I have "moderate anxiety". I was surprised by this because I don't worry about much of anything. If I have a problem with worry, it's that don't worry enough and let things slide. It has to be very bad to stress me out and then I get over it quickly. I have always been a generally happy person. I have never made a conscious decision to be like this, it's just the way I am. Since I've known about AS, I figured that had something to do with it.

My most noticeable trigger is when I have a time deadline to meet. Even if it is to meet someone. I do not wear a watch and I try never to commit to a certain time.
Spinelli, I like that you have your feet on the radiator and are drinking (I think) coffee. I like the heat and it is one of the things that helps to calm, me down. Oddly enough, coffee is the other one. I can drink a lot and it usually makes me fall asleep, very comforting.

Oh yeah, there are things that may seem simple to people that will cause me to unspool. The most recent is the difficulties I'm having with my internet provider. For most people it would be a minor thing with which they could deal, but it messed me up for a couple days. It has been like that my entire life. On the other hand, catastrophic events don't seem to phase me.

That is exactly how I am.

Routine disruption makes me asplode. My poor wife. I have had to apologize sooooo many times when I was surprised by a last minute change in "plans" (it's not a freaking plan if it happens at the last minute - that is the freaking opposite of a freaking plan).

Everything from phone calls to meetings is anxiety-provoking for me. I learned to live with it after awhile and talk myself down, even though I'm terrified of completely unrealistic things happening. I know other people get nervous, but I sometimes feel like I can't breathe.

Everything from phone calls to meetings is anxiety-provoking for me. I learned to live with it after awhile and talk myself down, even though I'm terrified of completely unrealistic things happening. I know other people get nervous, but I sometimes feel like I can't breathe.

Yeah I get like that when I'm worried about getting into trouble. It causes me panic attacks. Or before meetings and events I do for work I sometimes get anxiety about but I've actually been working on that bit

I'm okay most of the time. Then I'll get in in my head that my wife is down about something. I'll ask her about it. She'll say she's fine. I'll push, "are you sure? Are you sure?".She'll swear up and down she's fine. I still won't be able to shake the feeling "but something's different! Something isn't right! What is it!?" And I worry so much that I end up freaking MYSELF out.
Sounds like how I used to act with my ex-boyfriends. Everytime we were apart, even at work, I was always worrying that he might be cheating on me. If he was late coming home, omg, that would really make me worry! Even if it was only 10 minutes. But I never confronted him, cuz I didn't want to upset him and start a fight. So I'd sit and worry about it, until I started to get nauseous and my heart started to race. Even if I tried to think about something else to distract me, it wouldn't work. :(

Mine has variously been called social anxiety, mixed anxiety and generalised anxiety, I feel the social one mostly and tend to be a wallflower. Citalopram works well for panic, propranolol for the physical symptoms occasionally (shakiness/pounding heart etc.). CBT helped a bit perhaps though its still something that never seems to go away :/

When I'm bombarded with too many sensations, I can't take it. The mall, ice-skating, my friends birthday party, crowds, the school bus. I hate the school bus. Everyones talking, yelling, and I just feel like I'm drowning. At my friends birthday party, there got to a point where I couldn't take it, and I slipped away and had a quiet panic attack. I think that's what it was. I hyperventilated, cried and shook for about 10 minutes before I could pull myself together and go back. So far I've always been able to hide my panic, so no one knows. :confused:

I go between depression and anxiety, its always one or the other. I seem to be migrating back to having issues with anxiety, at the moment. What triggers anxiety for me is very dependent upon how i'm doing that day - what might bother me a bearable amount one day might cause a full blown anxiety attack the next. Like, normally my laptop being uncooperative is fine, i'm an insanely patient person by nature, but the other day it wasn't cooperating and i couldn't get it to do what i wanted it to so i had a full blown anxiety attack right then and there.

In general, though, the mere suspicion that i did something wrong, am going to get in trouble, etc causes anxiety. A lot of it. When i first started my current job, the chaos of the front end (i'm cashier) drove me to anxiety attacks all the time. But i've learned to deal with it, since. I find that i'm easily stressed out and that changes in routine can trigger it as well. As a kid, mom scheduled all my appointments for the dentist and eye doctor and she would never tell me until the night before. At which point i would start to freak out internally cause i'm like wait what ive had no time to prepare even though its the same every time, its still a shift in routine. Since we've discovered i might have AS, she's become more accommodating of that, though, and doesn't question my bothersome need to know the ins and outs of everything prior to new situations.

Not wishing to pry, but I'm curious about the "inner ear spasms." I've had something on and off over the past few years that are like spams in my inner ear; usually the right ear. The first time it happened, I thought a bug had climbed in my ear and was moving around. I flushed my ear and was freaking out. All I could think about was that scene in "The Wrath of Khan." From what you've shared, it makes me wonder if it's a manifestation of stress or anxiety.

It's like when your eye lid twitches, but it's inside your ear instead. The part I hate most about it is my stress is at work and I am on my feet all day, and when it happens it throws off my balance slightly. So it's very annoying.

New Threads

Top Bottom