• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stranger Danger

Vanilla

Your friendly neighbourhood hedgehog
V.I.P Member
Hey guys

I'm not a parent, but I saw this, and felt I needed to share it with others.

image.jpg

We have a code word at home, too, that if I say this word, they immediately scramble to their "safe place". We developed this strategy after we saw someone snooping around our house one time. At the time, I was home alone with the kids all day long. I realized I might have to deal with a threat, and wanted them to know what to do to help keep themselves safe while I focused on the intruder.

This is a great idea, but now I have to think of a password we won't use all the time that the kids will remember...

I had one growing up. Never had to use it. When my kid gets older, I'll have him pick a password too. Although I can't imagine what situation we'd be in where we'd get separated like that because I seem to be his number one stalker. Not even in school, likely I'll have him ride the bus unless I explicitly tell him I'm going to pick him up that day.

Actually, these situations, while dramatic and highly publicized, are quite rare. Most child abductions are not done by strangers but by a non-custodial parent. So a password might not always work.

Often, a stranger who is interested in abducting a child will scout out a targeted neighborhood by driving around and observing which children are being watched and which children are not. What they are looking for is a child who is alone, who does not seem to have any adults in the background. By repeatedly driving around a neighborhood on different occasions they can note patterns. A group of children where there is always an adult or two keeping an eye on things will generally be passed on by. These adults may be going in and out of the house, sitting out in the open, or simply looking out the window--but they are there, and if a strange car stops, they are out of that house in a flash.

The other very real danger is online. In fact, I would say that that is the far greater danger and that is how most pedophiles find their victims. After all, driving around a neighborhood and stopping to talk to a kid or a group of kids draws attention--if it is a neighborhood where adults are looking after their and others' kids. Someone who came into my neighborhood like that would definitely be noticed. What needs to be taught is online safety. I am of the opinion that kids should not be discussing sexual matters online unless they are in a legitimate health forum or other safe site. It's just common sense.

Often, a stranger who is interested in abducting a child will scout out a targeted neighborhood by driving around and observing which children are being watched and which children are not. What they are looking for is a child who is alone, who does not seem to have any adults in the background. By repeatedly driving around a neighborhood on different occasions they can note patterns. A group of children where there is always an adult or two keeping an eye on things will generally be passed on by. These adults may be going in and out of the house, sitting out in the open, or simply looking out the window--but they are there, and if a strange car stops, they are out of that house in a flash.
I am really bothered by the fact that one of the houses on the street where I live sometimes has children-sometimes very very young-playing in the (fenced-in) yard with no apparent adult supervision. Sometimes on my walks I stop and talk to these kids. While doing so, I used to think "Uh, oh, I hope the adults don't come out and get angry because they are creeped out because I'm just some random stranger talking to their kids" (While the fact that I'm a young white female might seem to preclude people thinking I'm creepy or scary, I nonetheless have accidentally creeped out people in my neighborhood in the past. The joys of that Aspie vibe.)
But then I realized "Hey, if they're (the adults) aware enough of what's going on in their yard to realize that I'm here, and if they're concerned enough to be bothered-that's a good thing."
But it hasn't happened. No adult in that house has seemed to notice me.
The one thing that makes me feel a little better is that some of the other neighbors surrounding that house seem responsible, trustworthy and aware, as they are hanging out watching their kids play outside.

Actually, these situations, while dramatic and highly publicized, are quite rare.
You're right, not only most abductions, but most child abuse is from family members or relatives. A password only is applicable in a few rare cases. But it's still a good thing to have, just in case.

New Threads

Top Bottom