• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange Things You Eat

You do eat the fat on your bacon, though, right? ;)

It's funny, I actually think that despite how weird it may seem to eat insects (which I only ever do unintentionally), it's an awful lot more natural than processed products like vegetarian meat substitutes. I'm not taking a shot at vegetarians...I used to be one. Just a good example of a highly processed "food". Margarine is another good one.
I count it as part of the skin category. And who can turn down bacon? :D
But when it comes to pork chops and some other meals, no, I don't eat it. It's really gritty and has a strange chewy consistency that I don't like all that much. And then there is gristle and cartilage. That stuff feels awful in my mouth. Bleh! Heh, and for similar reasons why I don't much care for corn on the cob or celery. I like to chew on tough things, but I don't like having to pick veggie threads like corn silk out of my teeth for days. :p

Margarine is so bad but soooo goood... It's a good thing I don't eat pancakes often, the amount of butter I put on them would probably kill me in no time.

I try to adhere to a health diet and eat the recommended intake of fruits and veggies, even though I don't actually like the tastes of most of them. In an effort to make my veggies more palatable I tend to make veggie soups and I always add lots of Cinnamon, Ginger and Cayenne pepper, which the rest of my family think is a mite strange.

Is frying an onion and putting oregano, black pepper, ginger, & cinnamon on it strange?
The year I was having popcorn for supper I put those things on the popcorn, too. When I didn't
mix it with peanut butter. No oregano, then.

I like peanut butter on apples, bread dipped in salad dressing, and chips with applesauce. Those are my all time favorites.

I adore wasabi, but can't handle a ton of it at one time. I also love pizza crusts, and spreading parmesan cheese on pizza. I also love my food cold. (Except for soup, and mashed potatoes) and I'm a huge fan of garlic and cinnamon.

I like raw oysters very much. People seem to not like them at all and are bothered that I do but I cannot be the only one who likes them if they are for sale. I used to get them refrigerated in jars that were processed using something called "Fresh Under Pressure". It killed the bacteria so you would never get sick eating them raw.

I also like canned slice potatoes. When I was young I loved canned spinach and would eat it at room temperature right from the can. I love oatmeal. I can eat it with something sweet or savory, like fish. It sounds odd to people but the oatmeal soaks up the flavors of other things very well so it works.

I used to like eating olives a lot. Marshmallows are still fun.

A long time ago I had cow brains in a burrito. They did not have any flavor and were like soggy scrambled eggs.

I like cold simple things I can eat quietly and alone. Oh, I grew up eating octopus. It was so good, I would eat the tentacles and chew on the suction cups. I have had snails. I thought they were very good. I would eat them again.

I cannot think of other things right now.

Here in germany there is this white condiment wiht garlic called garlic sauce , which i used to love to eat wiht just plain rice

I also love chicken nuggets wiht mayo,
Ham wiht coca powder, chocolate wiht sparkling water, cream cheese wiht jam and cinnamon flavored chocolate

There is a lot of fuss and focus on what all people on the spectrum won't eat due to flavor, texture, and whatnot. What about all things we will eat that everybody else doesn't want to touch? :yum:

I like crunchy and I like spicy. So things I eat that other people tend to lay their ears back about is:
- Pizza bones/crusts. I save mine for last so it's like getting a platter of breadsticks, and if it's somebody I don't mind eating after, they usually give me theirs too since they don't like them.
- Pepper stems. Ya know those funny little pepperoncini peppers that some people put on sub sandwiches? I eat them stems and all, so sometimes I'm given stems from others.
- Well done bread and chicken. If we ever get tough toast, or the crust is too tough, or something fried was a little too fried, it usually ends up on my plate because I'll enjoy eating it. Not a fan of croutons though, they're too salty tasting.

The only people I eat after though is immediate family. I figure their germs are already well integrated into my system from having grown up around them (parents, sibling), raised them (offspring), or married them (husband only), so so long as there is no slobber on it, down the hatch!

I like my spicy to accentuate and compliment my meal, not overpower it. One of my relatives (heavily suspected on the spectrum) has a full pepper fetish and is currently growing ghost peppers. They really like the spicyness! Too much for me, I want to taste the meat and veggies too, not just the peppers.
I can chew birds eye chili peppers without even wincing. I've been known to eat a whole onion raw once as a toddler which shocked people.

Aside from that, my diet is pretty normal and I eat almost anything, with the exception of mussels, squids, black pudding ... A few types of intestines. Insects, worms ...

I'm picky with soups though. I only eat pureed soups.

Hmm... weird things to eat??

Well then-

I eat pretty much most of the weeds you would see in your yard.

I nearly always have goat milk and goat cheese in the fridge. Somali-style goat meat on the bone is probably one of the tastiest things I've ever eaten.

I keep all my chicken fat in a bag in the freezer. Once the bag is full, I render it down into Schmaltz. It's a Jewish delicacy, that makes all food so buttery and savoury. It's like lard, but chickeny, and kosher.

I like rare to medium rare beef and lamb. About once or twice a year, I crave livers and gizzards.

Sardines on saltines, please?

I like noshing on all kinds of Asian fruits and veggies, including seaweed.

Sushi is the bestest.

I like frying up vegetarian burgers made out of lentils. I call them "scamburgers".

I make cheese, and use the whey in cooking and baking.

Just the other day I had a sparkling kombucha made from fermented medicinal mushrooms.

I prefer fish sauce more than soy sauce.

Liquid Aminos, Coconut Aminos, and Nutritional Yeast are the bomb.

At a Jewish deli, I once slowly savored a tongue sandwich. I made my daughter laugh by pretending that the tongue made me lose the ability to talk. I just kept making "nyuh nyuh nyuh" sounds.

I used to love when my grandma made Steak Tartare (a French dish that resembles raw hamburger).

I actually quite enjoy the taste of Traditional Chinese Medicinal Teas.

If someone brings roe, I bust out the crackers, cos that's good eating!

I once made homemade escargot, and it was heavenly.... chewy... but heavenly (it tasted like garlic butter, but it had the texture of chewing up a balloon).

Is bagels with cream cheese, lox salmon, and capers a normal meal for most people? Because to me, that is life.

Calimari!!!!! Swordfish!!!!! I once ate shark, that was delish.

I liked frogs legs, rattlesnake, not so much, but it was more edible than liver.

Candied Salmon omg!!!

Ants are tasty. I grew up about an hour from Mexico, and they would sell little jars of candied ants in the convenience stores. They were good.

Venison... meh... depends on the cook, and how it was butchered. I'll eat it, but it's hard to find tasty venison.''

Are you gettin the idea yet?
I don't think I could manage to eat rattlesnake lol. Congratulations on your bravery.

Schmalz in Germany is made from pig fat mostly, with roasted onions, sometimes dried apples and seeds. I actually came across a vegan alternative once, with line seed oil. I know many people no longer eat this. In Mediterranian cuisine they call it crema di lardo (and it's seasoned much differently). It's used pretty frequently to cook.

I have escargots in my fridge, but they remain unopened (don't know what to do with them, open for recipes. Wine sauce maybe?).

In the Russian markets, they always have a case by the register that is full of smoked, dried fish. I like to get a bag of the little fishies, I think they're anchovies, but I could be wrong. They're delicious to snack on.

Oh yeah, speaking of Russian markets, other foods I like are:

Kefir
Rhyzhenka
Sheepsmilk yogurt
Sheeps cheese
Pickled veggies
"Duchess" Pear Soda

At the Asian markets I like buying hawflakes, which are basically like fruit roll ups that are made from the fruit of the hawthorn tree.

Yes the smoked fish in the refrigerator at the Russian markets, it is so good. I got it once and could not stop eating it so I did not want to get any more. I think Russian markets have the best deli foods.

We have a few things here that foreigners usually think is weird. Like lutefisk. That means lye fish. It's stockfish that is first hung outside on large wood racks to air dry for a long time. Then later it's soaked in water for a week to rehydrate it. Then it's soaked in a water/lye solution for two days. Then it's soaked in water again for 5 days. And then it is cooked and served with potatoes, peas, butter and bacon. It has a jelly-like consistency because of the caustic soda. It falls apart when you touch it. This can be found on most tables during Christmas, it's traditional Christmas food. It's one of those foods you either love or run away from. There's no inbetween.

View attachment 81871 View attachment 81872 View attachment 81875

I have always wanted to eat it. It is the kind of food I usually like.

There are not a whole lot of foods I don’t like so it’s hard to think of anything particularly weird that I eat lol. In some people’s perspectives a lot of what I eat is probably weird.

I’m not sure if this is weird or not, but I prefer foods that are like oversaturated with flavor. So super strong, super spicy, super cheesy, lots of seasoning, etc.
So most of my favorite foods are Hispanic foods, Asian foods, Indian foods, and Caribbean foods. Also barbecue and anything with Buffalo sauce.
Is that weird? Lol

I used to eat a lot of jalapeno sardines with quinoa and broccoli, just like all mixed together and heavily seasoned. Apparently that's frowned upon or something, especially by my wife who seemingly hates only one type of fish - the only one I actually do like.

As a kid I was obsessed with eating eggs on a bun, basically just like a scrambled-egg sandwich thing. I made up a name for it, a song and everything. Sometimes I don't know which is weirder; the food, or the other part.

As an adult, I also made up a name for the sardine thing. Old habits die hard

One thing I like very much is the truffle. For you who don't know, this is a special mushroom that grows underground. It can't be cultivated and only way to find it is having a trained dog to smell it. So, they are quite expensive. Some people like it, but some say they stink and feel sick with that smell.

I really don't eat anything all that strange or unusual. In fact for years it was a wonder I could eat at all and didn't lose weight because of emetophobia. But I was also afraid of getting sick or passing out from not eating. Not long ago I read about a woman who ended up in the hospital because her emetophobia was so severe she was starving herself.

I do like pineapple on pizza. But these days it seems just mentioning it will make an angry mob welding pitchforks and torches swarm outside my door. I don't get it, if there's one topping on pizza that's awful, it's anchovies. Anchovies are FISH. FISH on pizza, is that some kind of a cruel joke? I've even even seen pizza with anchovies on it, even in restaurants. Is it some kind of American thing? Like mayo on pizza in Japan?

New Threads

Top Bottom