• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange things that you eventually understand

Mia

V.I.P Member
One field was lined completely for two acres with rows of old lilac bushes that were as high as trees. They were massive and decades old. And it begged the question why? They were beautiful and when they bloomed in the late spring they perfumed the air for miles.

But it didn't make sense, farmers are practical people so why did they plant lilacs? They should have been apple or pear trees or cultivated berry bushes. Or something that their animals could eat. Did farmers want perfumed bushes? Did they make something with the lilacs?

They planted lilacs to cover old privies/outhouses when the old ones were full. All those lilacs were planted to cover over pits of excrement. As they moved the outhouses to other locations.

What age old questions have you found answers to?

Last edited:
Where I grew up was in a farming community, rural and far from cities. Part of the property gave onto farmer's fields. So there were horses and cows grazing nearby.

One field that I used to play in was lined completely for two acres with rows of old lilac bushes that were as high as trees. They were massive and decades old. And it begged the question why? They were beautiful and when they bloomed in the late spring they perfumed the air for miles.

But it didn't make sense, farmers are practical people so why did they plant lilacs? They should have been apple or pear trees or cultivated berry bushes. Or something that their animals could eat. Did farmers want perfumed bushes? Did they make something with the lilacs?

I've found an answer. They planted lilacs to cover old privies/outhouses when the old ones were full. All those lilacs were planted to cover over pits of excrement. As they moved the outhouses to other locations.

What age old questions have you found answers to?

That is so interesting. I know l paid to have them removed on a residential property because they grow like weeds, these were huge bushes and had overtaken and obscured the property line. But they smell great. It was an extremely tough year to sell houses and we were in the city proper but l feel bad about any animals that lived in It. If they had been manicured and maintained , l would have kept them.

Last edited:
They are a fast-growing shrub to make a tall hedge. If their only purpose was to cover dis-used outhouses, why would they be in a straight line? They provide a dense privacy screen as well as a windbreak.

They are a fast-growing shrub to make a tall hedge. If their only purpose was to cover dis-used outhouses, why would they be in a straight line?

All the houses were in a straight line which faced a rural road, the back of their properties held their gardens and at the bottom were where the privies were originally. The row of lilacs backed onto a farmers field.

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts as an 'age old' question - that needs to be defined - but: I finally understood why for the past five years or so January 2 is a public holiday, where it never used to be. It's because the shops have started opening on Sundays around Christmas and New Year. That means they take an extra day holiday on Jan 2.

Me: Hey mom, what's BDSM?
Mom: WHAT DID YOU JUST ASK ME?!
Me: I heard that on a website my friend showed me that had pict-- Oh my sweet and sour heavens, I think I just found a darknet.

Singing along to Depeche Mode's 'personal Jesus' since being a teenager,

I sang the lyrics,
"You run, fast enough, Jesus"

Never could figure out why he was running ? quickly?

This christmas I put together a 'what's the next line' music quiz.
On checking my list of questions, twice :)

Jesus doesn't have to run anywhere.
The proper lyrics are,
"your own, personal, jesus"

who knew? :D

So if you arrived at Ellis Island back in the day, you would be subjected to various inspections. If you were marked with a "X" , you were sent to the mental room of about 100 waiting immigrants. You would be asked to count and do simple addition. Beginning in the mid-1910's,those suspected of being mentally challenged had to pass the Knox Cube test. This was one of the many tests developed by Ellis Island physician Howard Knox to measure intelligence without requiring any oral communication with the immigrant. The examiner moved a black cube in a certain pattern over four differently colored cubes attached to a board on a desk. The immigrant then had to copy the order. If you didn't pass, you were declared feeble-minded or insane, which included epileptics. Ellis Island officials turned away 1 in every 10,000 owing to mental defects from 1892 - 1090 and 1 in every 750 from 1910 until the end of WWI.

In 1903, Congress expanded the list of classified as mentally ill to include: epileptics, beggers, anarchists, and importers of prostitutes to the list of undesirables.

Singing along to Depeche Mode's 'personal Jesus' since being a teenager,

I sang the lyrics,
"You run, fast enough, Jesus"

Never could figure out why he was running ? quickly?

This christmas I put together a 'what's the next line' music quiz.
On checking my list of questions, twice :)

Jesus doesn't have to run anywhere.
The proper lyrics are,
"your own, personal, jesus"

who knew? :D

I luv that song!!

As a young child, my nana used to tell me she "could just eat me"

perhaps you could imagine my alarm.

According to some studies, this is normal :)

It's part of something known as dimorphous expressions, or cute aggression and small children needn't be afeared...

...until seasoning is sprinkled over them or they're bathed in a bbq marinade :)

That people actually have and use a "poop knife." I have been scarred since reading that it is a relatively common thing. Who the hell NEEDS a poop knife, let alone a communal one?!?! What do they eat?!?!

That most of the time when someone is expressing anger toward me, it’s not about me. It’s about them doing whatever they think they need to do to feel a certain way. They would have vented the same anger at anyone else.

That everyone thinks they’re the good guy - the hero of their story. For every unfathomable act that someone performs, there is a mindset where that action makes sense to them.

Edit: I’m not saying “everyone’s right”. I’m saying, everyone thinks they’re right.

That everyone thinks they’re the good guy - the hero of their story. For every unfathomable act that someone performs, there is a mindset where that action makes sense to them.

Edit: I’m not saying “everyone’s right”. I’m saying, everyone thinks they’re right.

I've always thought I was the problem and not the solution.

There is almost an acre of daffodils planted in front of my childhood home, all different kinds, planted in rows. They have been there since the early 1900's. I learned from an old timer in the neighborhood that the people who owed the house and land before my family bought the property in 1948, had planted them in order to pick and sell the blooms as cut flowers during WWI and the Great Depression to make extra money.

They are gorgeous every spring while in bloom.

New Threads

Top Bottom