• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Strange arm/hand/foot positioning?

I do this too! I'll get up with a dead foot and think "I should really not sit like that again"...and then I sit back down and do the exact same thing.

I also cross my big toe on each foot over the next toe very often while I'm laying down or sat down with my legs up on the recliner. Again, I don't realise I'm doing it and then if I do notice, I stop..but it usually happens again.

Yeah, I don't think I do it as often as I used to when I was younger either. My shoes are always worn down on the outside more than the inside because I think I walk funny :confused: but yeah, standing on the outside edge doesn't help!

My son, always sleeps (from he was a toddler) with his legs crossed underneath him facing down... i used to worry and place in on his back - but in the morning he'd always be back in that position, i used to ask him if it was uncomfortable or was worried he'd damage his knees etc... but he always said that it was the most comfortable way to sleep for him... :)

I catch myself sometimes holding my left arm and hand in an odd position. I call it my t-rex arm (it's sort of like arm is bent at the elbow upwards (ifykwim) and my hand is almost claw like), and it's usually when I'm doing something using my right arm (for example brushing my teeth).

I also have a tendency to carry my left arm in a position reminiscent of Mr Burns when I'm walking (right arm is usually making sure my bag doesn't fall off my shoulder). In terms of my feet, I have a tendency to sway or spin slightly when I'm stood still, but also stand on the outside of my feet, either barefoot or in shoes.

Usually when I become aware of any of these I stop, but always end up doing them again without realising I've done it.

Does anyone else do things like this?
Love your description of this, and yes I totally know what you mean. I also enjoy crushing my hands, like in the salon when my hair's getting done I hold them to my sides pressed against the chair.

I did The t-rex thing with my right hand, I'm left handed, till my mom started telling me I looked like a queer.
At home I sit legs back feet out and my left leg usually bouncing. I sat that way in my desk all through school also.

I did The t-rex thing with my right hand, I'm left handed, till my mom started telling me I looked like a queer.
At home I sit legs back feet out and my left leg usually bouncing. I sat that way in my desk all through school also.
I used to stim in public, talk too much, hold my hands funny, walk on my tiptoes, etc etc but it only takes one direction comment for you to change those behaviors.

I catch myself sometimes holding my left arm and hand in an odd position. I call it my t-rex arm (it's sort of like arm is bent at the elbow upwards (ifykwim) and my hand is almost claw like), and it's usually when I'm doing something using my right arm (for example brushing my teeth).

I also have a tendency to carry my left arm in a position reminiscent of Mr Burns when I'm walking (right arm is usually making sure my bag doesn't fall off my shoulder). In terms of my feet, I have a tendency to sway or spin slightly when I'm stood still, but also stand on the outside of my feet, either barefoot or in shoes.

Usually when I become aware of any of these I stop, but always end up doing them again without realising I've done it.

OMG! The T-rex thing! I do that too with my left arm (although I'm left handed). I also stand on the outside of my feet, and unconsciously raise my shoulders.

Is being pigeon toed something physical though? It's been pointed out that my feet don't point forwards when I walk, they're kind of pointing diagonally a bit if that makes sense? My sister is NT and she walks the same way. The way I stand sometimes on the outsides of my feet isn't a physical thing though, in that it's not caused by a physical problem with my feet, and my sister doesn't do it.

To be honest, I don't know why I do it but it's usually if I'm just standing about doing something like cooking or if I'm anxious - for example, today I went to meet my husband from work so we could get some shopping. I waited for him in the games section of the supermarket he works at, and even though I had my trusty iPod on, I was anxious at being alone. I noticed that I was stood on the outside of my shoes while waiting for him, then stopped when I realised what I was doing.
It's just muscle weakness very common

It's called spasticity if your arm is like that permanently ,it's just muscle weakness in the arm and you're trying to correct it if it's not permanent .

I walk with my toes pointed upwards (all my shoes have front pointed upwards now), AND I have T-rex arm as well. This is fascinating!

It's called spasticity if your arm is like that permanently ,it's just muscle weakness in the arm and you're trying to correct it if it's not permanent .

Definitely not like it permanently. I just catch myself doing it sometimes.

Definitely not like it permanently. I just catch myself doing it sometimes.

If you can catch yourself when you next do it, try to find out what the rest of your upper body is doing. Lats and traps (latissimus dorsi and trapezius muscle) and around your diaphragm.

I'm not keen on the feel of a toothbrush over my gums and teeth but I also know it's necessary. If I'm not concentrating on trying to relax and using various visualisation techniques to change my associations with brushing my teeth I will find myself tense, holding my breath, and quite rigid.

I have found my arm in the position you mentioned on brushing my teeth and wondered 'how did that get there?' :)

People actually often call me T-Rex because my name starts with a "T" and I tend to carry my arms as you described in T-Rex fashion, especially when I'm intently listening. Before I injured my knee, I used to sit with my legs wrapped around each other many times, and when I was VERY young, I used to "W" sit, which is like sitting on the floor with my knees bent and feet behind me (in the shape of a "W", until my doctor told my parents they my knees would grow wrong if I continued to sit that way. When I'm at work or in public I usually clasp my hands together in front of me to avoid doing the "T-Rex", but it's definitely not comfortable.

I have found my arm in the position you mentioned on brushing my teeth and wondered 'how did that get there?' :)

Happens every time I brush my teeth! Often when I'm doing something and my left arm isn't involved, or when I'm just walking about.

Happens every time I brush my teeth! Often when I'm doing something and my left arm isn't involved, or when I'm just walking about.

Are you tense?
Are you holding tension anywhere in your upper body?

I'd always presumed mine to be a result of tension. (Considering the muscles used to keep my arm in that position)

Maybe it's just comfortable? :)

Are you tense?
Are you holding tension anywhere in your upper body?

I'd always presumed mine to be a result of tension. (Considering the muscles used to keep my arm in that position)

Maybe it's just comfortable? :)

Nope, no tension. It just like a weird thing I do without noticing it. When I notice I stop because it looks weird :p I don't have a problem with it, just wondered if anyone else did similar.

I have literally just googled this and got your post because I just saw my three year old son doing it. He isn't diagnosed with anything yet because he's so young but it is expected he will be diagnosed with ASD and has lots of sensory issues. I wondered if it was ASD related, and I think its probably likely now. Thanks Xudo lol

I have literally just googled this and got your post because I just saw my three year old son doing it. He isn't diagnosed with anything yet because he's so young but it is expected he will be diagnosed with ASD and has lots of sensory issues. I wondered if it was ASD related, and I think its probably likely now. Thanks Xudo lol

No problem :cool::p

New Threads

Top Bottom