• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stims that come and go

DaisyRose

V.I.P Member
I always have stims that come and go. I used to clap all the time and now I notice I don’t do it, unless I get excited. I would clap automatically just like I would with breathing. Does anyone else have a similar experience with stims?

Same and even new ones appear. For me, it is my fingers playing ( as though typing).

I tend to clap my hands only when very excited and I guess that does come across as quite childish.

I always have stims that come and go. I used to clap all the time and now I notice I don’t do it, unless I get excited. I would clap automatically just like I would with breathing. Does anyone else have a similar experience with stims?
Yes I clap sometimes, I used to flick with my hands. Sometimes when I use sensory toys I stim some more.
I twirl my hair a bit too at times and I like doing it especially in front of a boyfriend or someone who may admire me or not always sometimes it just makes me feel pretty.
I fiddle with things and I touch things a lot if there are pretty or things I like, I want to touch them.
I like to touch things I am curious about.
I pick grass outside and throw it, I often pick leaves
I touch things and I used to crawl under things
I like physical things like walking along lines in the pavement, balancing on things and sitting on things. I like sitting in the ground and grass

Skin picking is a stim that mostly occurs when my stress levels are high. It’s a warning sign for me when I notice I start doing it.

I have some that are quite steady over the years and then others that fade away and get replaced by something new.

I’ve had the experience of “absorbing” stims from another person. One time I watched a family member do something with her hands over and over again. Within a few weeks, I found that I was doing the same motion all the time… Just like breathing like DaisyRose said. It’s been several years now and I continue to do that, but I never once did it before I saw my family member do it. Strange feeling.

Some folks probably think I go get manicures because I will seriously, slowly and carefully push back and "groom" my cuticles at times. I don't think it's a stress stim because I will just realize that I'm doing it at random. It's not an everyday thing, though, so it seems to fit the comes and goes criteria.

New Threads

Top Bottom