• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stay in University town over Summer or come home and do Internship remotely?

Frostee

I am finished University now.

I have successfully got on to a Summer Internship. The Internship can be done at the University or remotely.

I have not booked accomodation yet and am swaying back and forth between staying or coming home and getting a car. I have to confirm my apartment this week.

My initial plan was to stay in my university town for one month - but following my exam and having to come home out of boredom and loneliness, perhaps that is a bad idea?

I only have one acquaintance there who I see once a week. All support and clubs would be ending. So the setup would be me living alone, not seeing anyone and going in and out of work.

The University is very quiet during summer.

I am really struggling to make this decision. My main thing keeping me from going home, is the idea of being needed/looking bad and possibly feeling too much tension with my parents/sister.

There is also the worry there that I might not get a job and be stuck in my family home for a few months.. so perhaps this is my last chance to live independently for a while?

I was thinking of spending the weekends in London to spice the boredom up. (I don’t really like my University town.. it is quite insular and backward.)

Main concern at home, is lack of mobility and family tension. But then very, very isolated at University with little going on.

But ultimately I have no idea what to do. And I need help! Feeling forced into making this decision.

Stomach says home but don’t want to restrict myself. Want to be able to get away from family tension.

What would you do?

What would I do?

My foolproof way of making a decision: Pro and con columns. Write down the pro's and con's of each choice. It has a way of making things seem clearer.

The other piece of advice is to remind myself that either option isn't the end of the world. So you make the "wrong" choice now. You have a lifetime ahead of you to choose differently.

Oh and congratulations on finishing university!

I am finished University now.

I have successfully got on to a Summer Internship. The Internship can be done at the University or remotely.

I have not booked accomodation yet and am swaying back and forth between staying or coming home and getting a car. I have to confirm my apartment this week.

My initial plan was to stay in my university town for one month - but following my exam and having to come home out of boredom and loneliness, perhaps that is a bad idea?

I only have one acquaintance there who I see once a week. All support and clubs would be ending. So the setup would be me living alone, not seeing anyone and going in and out of work.

The University is very quiet during summer.

I am really struggling to make this decision. My main thing keeping me from going home, is the idea of being needed/looking bad and possibly feeling too much tension with my parents/sister.

There is also the worry there that I might not get a job and be stuck in my family home for a few months.. so perhaps this is my last chance to live independently for a while?

I was thinking of spending the weekends in London to spice the boredom up. (I don’t really like my University town.. it is quite insular and backward.)

Main concern at home, is lack of mobility and family tension. But then very, very isolated at University with little going on.

But ultimately I have no idea what to do. And I need help! Feeling forced into making this decision.

Stomach says home but don’t want to restrict myself. Want to be able to get away from family tension.

What would you do?
The one thing I would say living in England as well get used to not !living with your family ,when my mother died it was terrible ,if it had been or It felt normal to live alone I don't think I would've felt the way I did when my mother died , when there is nobody to give you help it is indescribable .

Great post and great comments so far.

I would add a couple points. If independence is plausible, place yourself in the most optimal position to realize your potential and apply your educational preparation.

If reasonable place yourself in a spot where you can continue to reach for and achieve more of your post-graduate goals.

Position yourself strategically to best find and move into the next stage after your internship.

The world is full of possibilities, opportunities, and next steps.

Congratulations to you for this graduation. There will be many more “graduations”. We celebrate with you and look forward to stepping thru these next stages with you right here at the forum.

Thank you for your post.

Pros and cons list is a good idea.

Personally, I would stay in the university town, but that's very biased by my own family tension and how boring and isolated would feel positively delightful compared to that :D Are you done with uni now? If you're applying for jobs in the near future, thinking about positioning yourself for where you want to live and work is also probably a consideration.

Very, very isolated with little going on sounds like paradise to me! I stayed over as many breaks as possible and it was the best part of the year!

I don’t want to be lonely though. Just more not sure about length of time I should be here for.

3 weeks or 4 weeks?

I would stay as long as possible but we're different people so it's hard to say. :eek:

So, I paid for a room.

My current room is a flat and my new room is a tiny shared unit with one door locked.

I went over there about an hour ago and it’s so tiny. The hall is like my wardrobe and the kitchen only has enough room to move around in - no freezer either.

I can’t cope with that room.

I may have to cancel the Internship and just go home.

Does anyone have any advice? I want to do the Internship at University for a while but I cannot cope with a room that size.

Last edited:
If you cannot cope with a room that size then you either have to find a different room or go home, right?

The bright side about being forced is that you don't have to go through the trouble of making a decision! That's why I like to just be told what to do sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom