• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Starting to feel Tired, and suddenly realising you are hungry

ancusmitis

Anyone else have this?

It's late at night, I'm totally exhausted, thinking of going to bed, and all of a sudden I'm hungry. Hungry enough that I can't sleep. I try lying down but it doesn't work, my mind is churning and I'm trying not to grind my teeth. I've gotten around this in the past by filling my stomach with small vegetables (last night I had three bowls of carrots and peas) and sometimes I'll fill a mug with broth and drink that. Broth is actually more soothing, but I'm so inconsistent with it that I always end up opening a container and letting it go bad. Another thing is herbal tea, different blends, but they usually contain things like chamomile.

So how about it? If this happens to you, what do you do about it?

This doesn't happen to me, because I always have a substantial meal about 4 hours before I go to bed. I don't like to eat late at night before I go to bed because it keeps me awake. If you're feeling hungry at night, it means that you're not eating enough during the day and you should eat more.

Thank you. I'm going to try and eat more. I can get so distracted sometimes and my parents are on these diets where they weigh everything.

i usually just end up eating junk (sandwich, box crap, devil dog or something..) because i can't be loud enough to actually cook something and most of the time there isn't much to cool without a full proper meal (ie: there isn't leftovers to reheat or even syrup so i could make a pancake but there's pork chops frozen in the freezer and potatoes unpeeled in a bag)
but as progster said... either your body needs more food or (in my case) when i was younger i would just forget to eat because i'd get sucked into some interest i had at the time... or, today because i'm usually too busy doing crap work with family so by 5-6 i'm exhausted and can't think enough to want to eat

I get this sometimes, mostly as if I am busy with my work I can forget to eat. Before I met my better half, I could go days on just tea and coffee before feeling ill and realising I must be hungry.

As an aside, if you are feeling unusually tired you should maybe go to your doctor. I went through this a couple of years ago and it turned out I had cancer (all cured now thankfully).

When I get really busy, sometimes I forget eat. I do not get tired, I get jittery. It is like I have had to much caffeine or am over stimulated in some way. Eating makes the feeling go away. I do not know what causes this, but I have been this way for many years.

Like Progster, I do not like to eat anything right before bedtime. Three or four hours at least. For me it is because of reflux issues.

As an aside, if you are feeling unusually tired you should maybe go to your doctor. I went through this a couple of years ago and it turned out I had cancer (all cured now thankfully).

Oh, I'm a little young for that. I am not feeling unusually tired. This is happening late at night.

Anyone else have this?

It's late at night, I'm totally exhausted, thinking of going to bed, and all of a sudden I'm hungry. Hungry enough that I can't sleep. I try lying down but it doesn't work, my mind is churning and I'm trying not to grind my teeth. I've gotten around this in the past by filling my stomach with small vegetables (last night I had three bowls of carrots and peas) and sometimes I'll fill a mug with broth and drink that. Broth is actually more soothing, but I'm so inconsistent with it that I always end up opening a container and letting it go bad. Another thing is herbal tea, different blends, but they usually contain things like chamomile.

So how about it? If this happens to you, what do you do about it?
My problem is that I haven't been eating much. And then it gets to me.

eat something horrible and hate myself the next day

or try to go to bed when dude does then maybe if I fall asleep (maybe) I won't go through this whole cycle

eat something horrible and hate myself the next day

or try to go to bed when dude does then maybe if I fall asleep (maybe) I won't go through this whole cycle

What kind of "horrible" thing might you eat?

What cycle?

Whatever junk food, ramen, chips, that sort of thing.

And I guess the cycle of tired, hungry, eat, awake, repeat... :/ I was so bad when I gamed a lot, I'd stay up until the morning hours, doing this on repeat

try snacking on some slow digest food like complex carbs and protein before bed and when you wake upon hunger. oatmeal, nuts, milk, peanut butter are some of good options. avoid empty calories which skyrocket your blood sugar level then crash soon after. aka junk food.

New Threads

Top Bottom