• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sports Interest Suggestion

All-Rounder

❃⚜uwu awoo uwu⚜❃
V.I.P Member
I notice this section is missing from most forums but I think it's important for people into sports like SpeedRacer. It would be good for the autists to be able to talk about their sport interests too.

Good stuff. I'm interested in ice hockey primarily. I don't do sports a whole lot but that one I can happily watch and enjoy.

I was looking for local teams to join in my area for ice hockey...then inline hockey... the field hockey. Turns out there isn't a lot of support outside of field out here.

I think there is one guy - Gary? - that is really into bikes. If you're interested, you may find him. He even created his own chat room if I remember correctly.

It's a good idea, though I'm not really into sports much. I do like watching ski jumping, however.

Used to do cross country running, indoor rock climbing, karate, kettlebells but now interested in kung fu and pilates, I can't really watch sport, I've tried watching football to fit in but no, unless it's interesting and there's not too much diving/cheating going on, and there's usually noise involved football.

Drag racing (participate)
Auto Cross short track (participate)
Baseball (mostly watch these days)
Golf (participate)

Camping /fishing not much of a sport but something I enjoy a lot

I can enjoy most any sport on TV with one exception: tennis. Well, except for the 2012 men's Olympic final because the fans were insane that day.

Today I am thinking of my friend JD who passed away a few years ago. Why? His AFL team won their first championship since 1980 last night (Central North America time). :):( TIGERLAND!

Good stuff. I'm interested in ice hockey primarily. I don't do sports a whole lot but that one I can happily watch and enjoy.

I was looking for local teams to join in my area for ice hockey...then inline hockey... the field hockey. Turns out there isn't a lot of support outside of field out here.
GO LEAFS GO!

I used to follow AMA flat track racing in the late sixties and early seventies. This when Mert Lawwill, Dick Mann and Gary Nixon were racing. I even tried short track a few times, but that was on a cross country bike and did not work very well. Once organized Moto-Cross came to Idaho, was hooked on that. I also got into snowmobile racing in the winter. Like Sportster, I really enjoy motor sports. This was all in my distant past, as my wife will not allow anything fast. Oh well, I would probably just hurt myself anyway.

Last edited:
Ew, the Leafs! Montreal Canadiens all the way! ;)
Oh man. You know Leafs Fans and Canadiens Fans brawl in the street when they see each other. Gloves off, pal. OK, I won't hurt you since you are my friend :)

Mert Lawwill...Malcolm Smith...yeah I've heard of them. :cool:

Thanks to Steve McQueen. RIP

Excellent movie!!!! I have the three-disk set that I picked up at the International Motorcycle Show in Atlanta a few years ago. What's neat is the movie came out about the same time I learned how to ride, though I had started to channel my inner Steve McQueen long before that when I first saw him jumping the fences in "The Great Escape." He was definitely one of a kind. They don't have actors like that today.

Except Steve McQueen didn't actually do that famous jump. His stunt double, Bud Ekins did.

Mert Lawwill...Malcolm Smith...yeah I've heard of them. :cool:

Thanks to Steve McQueen. RIP

I still have a copy of "On Any Sunday" on VHS. It is the only reason that I still have a VCR. One of these days I will get a copy on DVD or Blue Ray. I have a question for Sportster, Judge and anyone else that may know. In the beach ride at the end of the movie, what kind of motorcycle was Mert Lawwill riding?

Here is a little known fact about Mr. Steve McQueen. In the mid seventies, Lawwill crashed at a flat track race in Washington state. He mangled his hand so badly that the doctors in Washington said that it could not be fixed. McQueen heard about it, flew Lawwill to LA, had his doctors repair his hand and paid for it all. That is the kind of person Mr. McQueen was.

Last edited:
I have a question for Sportster, Judge and anyone else that may know. In the beach ride at the end of the movie, what kind of motorcycle was Mert Lawwill riding?

I only know Malcolm Smith was riding a 1970 250cc Husqvarna in that last scene. Though I'm wondering if they all were with just some minor alterations.

But it's been many years since I thought about such distinctions! :p

Tom Cruise couldn't hold a candle to Steve McQueen. His ankle injury was probably brought on by a stress fracture when he was jumping up and down on that couch on The Oprah Winfrey Show. Steve McQueen had more manliness in his nose hair than Cruise has in whole body. So there:p

LOL. That wasn't my point. Steve McQueen is/was the proverbial "cool". Not a distinction much of anyone will ever think of relative to Tom Cruise. I seriously doubt anyone in our age group would argue that point. :p

Nope, my point was that the studios and particularly their insurers take a VERY dim view of putting the lives of lead actors at risk just to perform a stunt. Of course it wasn't always that way. I'm reminded of the stunts Burt Lancaster performed in "The Train". That really was him risking injury in both jumping off and jumping onto moving trains. Very cool and gutsy. Though probably very stupid had he been killed doing as such.

Funny, I just saw "Terminator 2" a few days ago. The scene where Arnold grabs John Connor off his dirtbike. One of the few scenes where his stunt-double was obvious, but only for a second.

Last edited:
I'm with @Judge about it being a Husqvarna. I just watched the ending on YouTube. Two of the three bikes definitely look like Huskies, but that third one I'm not too sure. In an odd way it almost looks like a Harley of some sort because of the gas tank.

Yeah, one of them I just can't place, though I noticed the markings on the gas tank. Beats me...:confused:

It's okay to mention Burt Lancaster and Steve McQueen in the same sentence.:D

Seriously, I can see where Hollyweird wouldn't want to risk a big money-maker like that; at least not these days. The real stars are the stunt actors who make the stars look good. In those action movies, it would be interesting to know just how much actual screen time the actors get in comparison to their doubles.

That reminds me of Chisum when John Wayne and Forrest Tucker were fighting. The stunt double was obvious; probably because John Wayne was such a big man they couldn't get a stunt double like him.

Ever see the 1965 movie "Genghis Khan" with Omar Sharif and Stephen Boyd?

The fight scene at the end got a little too real. With Sharif ending up recovering in the hospital after the scene ended. "Cut!" Evidently actor Stephen Boyd took that a little too literally. :eek:

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom