• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sports & Fitness

Steve A

Back in elementary school (4th grade), I was struggling to make friends, so my mom introduced sports into my life. However, since I was fixated on numbers at the time, she made me watch football.

As of today, I love football & hockey. My dream job is to work for any sports team, college or professional. I wouldn't rule out a fitness related career as well.

On an extra note, I love it when I find people that share my same interest, which isn't hard because they're common hobbies.

I used to like all kinds of sports including football, though my parents would never let me play it because I was a girl lol

The only sports I really like to do now are snowboarding and mountain biking. It gives me a way to be in nature without having to have too much social interactions (there are some interactions sometimes though like on ski lifts).

The only thing I would say I struggle with, is being too nervous about taking lessons so I never got a proper lesson for it and do all of my learning online watching youtube videos.

Maybe they should create a subforum for sport obsessions/hobbies.

That is a good choice for interacting with NTs. I used it myself. on the participating side, extensively and it helped me develop social skills.

yea i find i can only properly engage and actually put effort into talking to people when im psychically active or taking a short break in between it

Im not such a fan of 'sport', per se - but I work in health and fitness and really enjoy what I do. It is challenging, as at times I find the environment I spend the most amount of time in is full of alpha, generally NT folks who know all the unwritten rules of the word - I, however, do not! Haha!!

A friend of mine pursued sports management as a career because he loved watching sports and playing some himself. He ended up being very successful and very happy as a result. It took a lot of his time due to special sports events, distant locations, and inconvenient schedules. He enjoyed living inside the college sports world - met lots of sports stars, travelled to a lot of different cities, and enjoyed hanging out at restaurants and bars with other sports team figures. What is interesting is that he started this career by volunteering to keep scoring records for a college basketball team. When a position came up, he was taken on part-time, then full-time. He ended up running the entire athletic department. He was also a student at the college when he first volunteered. If you love sports, get involved while you are young. There are lots of different jobs in sports management.I think it's great when young people have a career path born of genuine interest. Life should be so simple. Good luck to you.

I loathe all sorts of sports, but I am at a dilemma because of that. I am hitting an age at which I really should start taking care of myself, or else it will be for nothing. However there has to be some problem with my brain: I don't seem to get any endorfins or dopamine or whatever it is that makes people enjoy excercise. It doesn't matter what I do or how much, physical activity will only ever make me tired and/or angry. I used to do some extreme sports since there at least the endorfins come through other means, and drown out the tiredness. However you have to do them intensely or not at all. In addition, they seem to attract the sort of people I don't really care about.

So, does anyone have any tips as to what would be a good method of excercise for soon-to-be-30 who can't be bothered with sports unless it is exciting?

Sports can be a way to make friends. I'm not into watching them though. I do like to play sports and wish I had one to play regularly.

I'm into fitness too. I jog, lift weights, go on long walks often, and only eat healthy food. People I know sometimes ask me questions about fitness and living healthy.

Are you M or F
I loathe all sorts of sports, but I am at a dilemma because of that. I am hitting an age at which I really should start taking care of myself, or else it will be for nothing. However there has to be some problem with my brain: I don't seem to get any endorfins or dopamine or whatever it is that makes people enjoy excercise. It doesn't matter what I do or how much, physical activity will only ever make me tired and/or angry. I used to do some extreme sports since there at least the endorfins come through other means, and drown out the tiredness. However you have to do them intensely or not at all. In addition, they seem to attract the sort of people I don't really care about.

So, does anyone have any tips as to what would be a good method of excercise for soon-to-be-30 who can't be bothered with sports unless it is exciting?[/QUOTE

Are you M or F? Some sports are geared more to males, some more to females.

I used to like all kinds of sports including football, though my parents would never let me play it because I was a girl lol

The only sports I really like to do now are snowboarding and mountain biking. It gives me a way to be in nature without having to have too much social interactions (there are some interactions sometimes though like on ski lifts).

The only thing I would say I struggle with, is being too nervous about taking lessons so I never got a proper lesson for it and do all of my learning online watching youtube videos.

Maybe they should create a subforum for sport obsessions/hobbies.

I mountain bike a lot now and snowboarded a lot in the past. Fun stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom