• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Spontaneous Aspies?

Pondering

Every person I meet says I'm really ramdom and it's true. One second I'll be talking about trees and the planet and the next sentence will be something totally bizarre like the textures of cat fur or something. Is this an aspie thing? Are you naturally spontaneous and random? And what is the most random thing you've ever said?

I don't know if it's an aspie thing as much as it might be an ADD/ADHD thing. I'm quite like that, all over the place, but I've been diagnosed with ADHD (yet I feel ADD suits me more).

Often, it's quite the trip when I'm talking to people, making all kinds of leaps in thought. The forum actually is the most "organized" I am, perhaps due to the ability to edit and think about what I'm saying. While in person; ain't nobody got time for that. No but really, if I were to communicate in a similar way like I often write my posts, people would go walking because I'd be wasting their time. So for what it's worth the utter randomness, references to movies, music, comic books, current events and whatever else there is seems to be part of my verbal "schtick" so to say.

So I suppose I fall in that category of "spontaneous".

Sometimes I can't help but feel sorry for therapists I'm seeing. They have to write down what I say and make sense of it afterwards. They really have to apply a hard filter when talking to me to seperate information and only end up with the useful bits. Unfortunately I've ended up going on seemingly random and unrelated tangents, that in the end made perfect sense to why I actually brought up some topic.

The most random thing I ever said? Narf! No erm... really, I couldn't tell you, my mind wanders off quite a bit, albeit in pleasant ways. Often I feel I have a few different trains of thought going on at the same time, but I actually like that. I kinda learned to manage those more dense information streams. The downside; Don't bother me, since outside stimulus really takes me out of it.

YES, Cheryl! :rolleyes:

I am my husband's nightmare! He says he cannot keep up with me. In the morning he now says: please, no heavy talk first thing I wake up, please, please and so, I have to stifle down my crowded thoughts. Funnily enough, I do not regard them as heavy talk, but normal. However, the poor man is so distressed, that I allow him to have his own way :p

Sometimes he says: where the heck did that come from? I also have a habit of start talking as though I am in the middle of a conversation, because basically, I am, but in my head and then start talking out loud and it drives him insane!

The problem is that one subject, reminds me of something thing else, and I am BURSTING to say it and so, do and then, that reminds me of something else and so forth.

My mind is alive and many times, hurts ( can be physical) but mostly mental; like rubbing one area of the skin constantly.

Once when a child, I was at this ice rink and my teacher was standing by me and I sense I was not at ease with him. This girl came by on the ice rink and I suddenly blurted out: oh wow, surely wearing tights is not a good idea, she will get ladders! I have no idea why that thought popped into my mind, but the reaction, was deep shame and embarrassment and I felt a silence around me. The actual fact is that I am sure I was ignored as just stupid! But because of that episode and others, I have lived my life, on my toes, in danger of making a mistake. But I guess being married, puts a different perspective on things and I am very random with hubby!

Oh, I can totally relate to that issue with people in the morning or whenever I wake up. I don't really seem to have different gears when I get out of bed. I'm either switched on or off... and on usually is a few gears too fast for most.

That also makes me a bit of a nightmare to wake up next to, lol. Best you can do is hope I'm still asleep as you sneak out of bed and get yourself in gear.

Ha! Everything I say is random, or so it seems. Yes, I am the most random person I know and I hear it often. I also do the most random things. I love being this way and could not imagine being predictable.

Every person I meet says I'm really ramdom and it's true. One second I'll be talking about trees and the planet and the next sentence will be something totally bizarre like the textures of cat fur or something. Is this an aspie thing? Are you naturally spontaneous and random? And what is the most random thing you've ever said?

My speech can be very random, people often refer to it as my 'ramblings' although they think it's great that I can pick up a topic from where I left off having rambled on for an hour or so. I put it down to the way my brain makes 'associations' in linking information, don't know if it's an aspie thing but enough folk seem to have it.

Yes, my husband often says: hey why so quiet? And also: wow she never stops talking! But put me in a setting where I am floundering big time, you would honestly believe that my voice box had broken; but if one could read my mind, they would see that I am as loud as ever!

It reminds me of a youtube video about children with social phobia and one they showed a child, in a school and the head was bent, and not one single sound came out of his or her lips and then, showed her or him, at home and you would think they were two different children and wow do I get that!

When my husband and I study ie spiritual things, I am alive with questions and answers etc and I read scriptures with ease, but put another person in the room and suddenly, I lose my voice!!

And yet, I am dreadful on my own!!!!

Oh, I can totally relate to that issue with people in the morning or whenever I wake up. I don't really seem to have different gears when I get out of bed. I'm either switched on or off... and on usually is a few gears too fast for most.

That also makes me a bit of a nightmare to wake up next to, lol. Best you can do is hope I'm still asleep as you sneak out of bed and get yourself in gear.

Well, if umm tis was you and I ( no suggestion there, so relax lol), we would probably be in bed chatting till midnight :p

I would say that in this specific instance, it's less a thing to do with Asperger's and more to do with someone's personality. If you are at all familiar with Myer's Briggs personality typology (The Myers & Briggs Foundation - MBTI® Basics then the concept of spontaneity would be more closely associated with "P" types as opposed to "J" types.

That said, my hypothesis is that Asperger's develops differently - certain traits or dispositions more often manifesting - according to the person's personality. This may be why all Aspies are affected in unique ways, and why some are more similar to others (because they have either the same or close personality types). By the bye, it appears that a vast majority of people with Asperger's fall into the INTP or INTJ personality types.

A good example of how this might play a role would be the following:
An INTP Aspie would probably have a more philosophical, theoretical thinking process - thus being drawn to more abstract studies, psychology, fiction, puzzles, and art. Also, they would be the type (and ENTP) most likely to be "all over the place" when they talk to people about their ideas. A typical comorbid disorder could be ADHD/ADD.

An INTJ Aspie would probably be more grounded in practical applications such as mechanical sciences, mathematics, general problem solving, or cerebral studies. They would be most likely the ones who are very rigid with schedules/routines. A typical comorbid disorder could be OCD.

There is, of course, an interesting line drawn here. Often people want to find what exactly is caused by Asperger's and what exactly is caused by your personality, and so on. I don't think that's the right way to look at it. In the brain/mind, everything is interconnected so everything works together and bounces off and complements and detracts from something else. Ergo, Asperger's would be interlocked with personality and vice versa.

I'll have to cut myself short with explanations, as I could easily write a book on this topic.:D However, I hope this gives you some "fuel for the fire" so you could think about it if you wanted.

Here's an interesting article on the relationship between INTP and ASD:
INTPs and Asperger's Syndrome | Oddly Developed Types

Last edited:
I'm a solid ISFJ and I most definitely don't have either ADD or ADHD. very insightful though and I much appreciate your comment

Last edited:
I don't talk much - I live in my head most of the time and don't talk unless I have to, or I have something urgent to say. Talking is a huge effort. When I do talk, I often ramble on way too much about a topic when one sentence will do - I often find myself explaining something for a long time and in detail, just in case the other person didn't get it yet, when actually, they got it 20 minutes ago!

I often crack random silly comments. :p
At school, I am pretty much the class clown (and I mean that as a compliment to meself.) :D
This also happens when I am playing video games or am with my teddy bear. :p

I can often be regimented and predictable as hell...and then out of nowhere I change direction and surprise (or scare people) in my orbit. Even myself on occasion. Never have been able to determine if this is good or bad. o_O

New Threads

Top Bottom