• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speaking Gibberish

Tatilove

Hello everyone,

My speech delayed 4 year old, who used to be nonverbal, now has a large vocabulary, does a lot of echolalia and some spontaneous speech. I’m grateful for all the progress he has made, however, over the past couple weeks I noticed he has been talking a lot of gibberish.

He’ll be walking around like he is having a conversation, but the things he is saying aren’t actual words. At first I thought he was trying to repeat things he heard at daycare, but it’s weeks later and he is still doing it.

Has anyone been through that? What does it mean? Is it something positive for speech development or is it a form of regression? How do I help him through this phase?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Worried mama

Last edited:
I don’t know if this will assuage your worry, but I am 42 and I do this all the time. I learned from a young age to repress it when I am around others, but when I can speak freely to my dog, it is mostly in gibberish.

I’m not sure how it pertains to child development for four-year-old, but for me it is a great stress relief. I think some people consider it a stim.

Also, gibberish can still be somewhat meaningful when there is intonation involved. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, perhaps others would be able to help us, but I wonder if speaking gibberish back to him with meaningful intonation could be a good idea.

It honestly sounds like a verbal stim, not regression. I, too, talk to my dog in my own dialect of elvish. Growing up, my previous dog responded only to commands in my 'gibberish'. I still speak it under my breath when I get annoyed or frustrated with someone. It isn't a loss of skills, it is an exploration of one's vocal abilities. It may be his way of describing his inner world that he doesn't have the exact words for yet.

As a dysphonetic reader and a visual learner, I didn't always have the hyperspecific word I required, but I never forgot a word once I saw it and heard it. The word is a very literal translation, certain context and traits unique to that object or situation. A glass rabbit idiom, if you will. No one understands my exact context, but it makes perfect sense to my translation matrix.

And a note on verbal stimming, kids don't do it to be annoying, much of the time it is a nearly unconscious behaviour. It is a form of sensory regulation and self soothing. No one thinks much of people who talk to themselves or sing. It is a form of problem solving as we get older. It isn't something to panic over and try to 'fix'. Vocabulary takes time to accumulate and mature and sometimes even adults don't have words, so there truly is nothing weird about a little boy speaking his own language when he's alone.

Consider that many sets of twins often have their own languages from a very early age and in some cases, hyperverbal siblings know what a younger nonverbal sibling wants by translating their gibberish. Such was the case with my brother and I. My brother didn't speak much until he was nearly five, but there was nothing wrong with his comprehension. He talked when he was ready and hasn't had any issues. His son, my youngest nephew is the same, not much of a talker, but sharp as a tack. All three of us are on the spectrum.

Last edited:
I don’t know if this will assuage your worry, but I am 42 and I do this all the time. I learned from a young age to repress it when I am around others, but when I can speak freely to my dog, it is mostly in gibberish.

I’m not sure how it pertains to child development for four-year-old, but for me it is a great stress relief. I think some people consider it a stim.

Also, gibberish can still be somewhat meaningful when there is intonation involved. I have no idea if this is a good idea or not, perhaps others would be able to help us, but I wonder if speaking gibberish back to him with meaningful intonation could be a good idea.

Thank you for your reply. In his case, yes, there is intonation. It’s like he is having a conversation on his own. He does it MOSTLY when he is bored, but tonight as we were practicing new words before bed, he would do it when I asked a question he didn’t know the answer to.

For instance, I asked him what do we do with a knife? He replied with gibberish. Once I told him we use a knife to cut, then he’ll answer again with the right answer.

Did you start doing it as a child or is it a stim you developed as an adult?

I’m pretty sure I’ve done it all my life. It just became more noticeable as I got older.

It honestly sounds like a verbal stim, not regression. I, too, talk to my dog in my own dialect of elvish. Growing up, my previous dog responded only to commands in my 'gibberish'. I still speak it under my breath when I get annoyed or frustrated with someone. It isn't a loss of skills, it is an exploration of one's vocal abilities. It may be his way of describing his inner world that he doesn't have the exact words for yet.

As a dysphonetic reader and a visual learner, I didn't always have the hyperspecific word I required, but I never forgot a word once I saw it and heard it. The word is a very literal translation, certain context and traits unique to that object or situation. A glass rabbit idiom, if you will. No one understands my exact context, but it makes perfect sense to my translation matrix.

And a note on verbal stimming, kids don't do it to be annoying, much of the time it is a nearly unconscious behaviour. It is a form of sensory regulation and self soothing. No one thinks much of people who talk to themselves or sing. It is a form of problem solving as we get older. It isn't something to panic over and try to 'fix'. Vocabulary takes time to accumulate and mature and sometimes even adults don't have words, so there truly is nothing weird about a little boy speaking his own language when he's alone.

Consider that many sets of twins often have their own languages from a very early age and in some cases, hyperverbal siblings know what a younger nonverbal sibling wants by translating their gibberish. Such was the case with my brother and I. My brother didn't speak much until he was nearly five, but there was nothing wrong with his comprehension. He talked when he was ready and hasn't had any issues. His son, my youngest nephew is the same, not much of a talker, but sharp as a tack. All three of us are on the spectrum.

It does reassure me that it’s more likely a stim than a form of regression. His stimming doesn’t bother me, but I’m trying to stay alert to anything that may be a form of regression so that I can address it early. I’m not even sure if addressing a regression early is beneficial or if it is something I just let happen as there’s nothing to do.

I feel so lost. I’m still waiting for a diagnosis and for early intervention team to call us, in the meantime I’m trying my best while freaking out every step of the way :joycat:

I always did it, but I'm also hyperlexic (major language skills from six months on). Think of it a bit like a free writing exercise. As we learn and expand our grasp on language the gibberish begins to take a specific direction like an interest in reading, writing, or learning different languages. I'm not always as articulate as I could wish in person, (I deal with selective mutism, but a lot of that is rooted in my own introverted nature. I don't dislike people, I just prefer to interact on my own terms), but in writing...I find my words.

Last edited:
I always did it, but I'm also hyperlexic (major language skills from six months on). Think of it a bit like a free writing exercise. As we learn and expand our grasp on language the gibberish begins to take a specific direction like an interest in reading, writing, or learning different languages. I'm not always as articulate as I could wish in person, (I deal with selective mutism, but a lot of that is rooted in my own introverted nature. I don't dislike people, I just prefer to interact on my own terms), but in writing...I find my words.
My son does have a strong interest for books, though I see he is more interested in naming/ learning the names of the objects and characters in a book than the actual story. He becomes easily bored when I read him and book and will start pointing objects to name.

What does hyperlexia look like in a 6 month old?

My son does have a strong interest for books, though I see he is more interested in naming/ learning the names of the objects and characters in a book than the actual story. He becomes easily bored when I read him and book and will start pointing objects to name.

What does hyperlexia look like in a 6 month old?

Naming objects is his way of building and reinforcing his knowledge database. He might naturally gravitate toward nonfiction subjects like nature, science, and engineering (how things work), a lot of spectrum kids do. We love to know why and are very logic driven. The word and the object make a congruent pair, thusly, this is a fact. A fact we can use to add context. Working with his natural inclinations and letting him set the pace can help build confidence in his own knowledge and abilities.

As to hyperlexic, it translates from greek meaning, many words. I was talking at six months, speaking in complete sentences at nine months, sight reading words by age one, and reading by two. Writing coherently at three and I knew cursive by five. As a visual learner, I have always been wickedly efficent with sight words. The hole in my skill set is that I cannot sound words out. I cannot do basic phonics or identify syllables, yet one of the things I love most in the world is poetry.

It is part of a peak and valley learning profile almost universal among neurodivergent learners, it is simply how our brains are wired. We gravitate toward our natural niches for some its language, other science, math, or music.

I still haven't found a use for algebra, but I do use my gibberish, or muppet as my friends and family call it. For me it is a sign of open affection and trust, if I speak muppet (nonsense) it means I'm comfortable around you. I have muppet language for my dog and cat, and for them, they know it means its playtime. Potato Cat will bounce up and grab my hands when I do the Mah Na Mah Na Song. Rue Dog's nick name is Dude and put Dude to the melody of the Duke of Earl and I have the Dude of Rue. So much of these dialects is about the intonation and the context associated with it. Very few people ever see the unmasked side of autistics and verbal stims like gibberish can play a role in how we demostrate trust.

Definitely keep working to help him expand his knowledge and language bases, but don't be afraid to join in with a bit of gibberish of your own. Know that it isn't simply about the words. It is about the interaction, the understanding.

Last edited:
My very verbal 5 year old has done this pretty much since he started talking. He used to do it to communicate to us as well but now does it when he's bored and when talking to himself in the form of play. To me it does seem as a verbal stim. I realized this as we had him do some speech therapy and he no longer needed it after a very short few months. Turns out his speech was just slightly behind so I just attribute his gibberish as just something he does that is easier and more soothing for himself.

I know exactly how that feels. I was that kid and technically, I still am! If anything, it should be just a part of his natural development :):):) It may seem strange now, but after a few months or years you'll get used to it. It'll take a while to get to know your child, as long as he's comfortable he's okay. ;P <3

It does reassure me that it’s more likely a stim than a form of regression. His stimming doesn’t bother me, but I’m trying to stay alert to anything that may be a form of regression so that I can address it early. I’m not even sure if addressing a regression early is beneficial or if it is something I just let happen as there’s nothing to do.
One thing to understand is that stims come and go, morph and change. Starting a new stim doesn't indicate a regression. Just a new stim. I had lots of stims that I did because I found them recreational.

I had habits like that when I was a child. I'm sure I had habits that my parents were worried about, but they were totally ignorant about anything neurological and never even heard the term, "autism". The only intervention I got was punishment. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT!! It never helped me. It just taught me that I was a bad person that everyone hated. I could never connect the punishment to the behavior. I just thought I was being punished for being me.

Eventually, I learned that a lot of my stems, like speaking gibberish or nondescript humming made others look at me. Eventually, I made that connection. The difficulty was that I rarely knew I was doing it. But, I finally figured it out.

In the end, I think I came out OK. My greatest improvement in life occurred after I left home and got away from my parents. Although the "bad person" image was traumatic and permanent. I still struggle with that to this day. (I'm now 70 years old)

Personally, I easily relate to your son and from my view, I wouldn't worry about him. Just help him know that he is not a bad person and he will do OK.

One thing to understand is that stims come and go, morph and change. Starting a new stim doesn't indicate a regression. Just a new stim. I had lots of stims that I did because I found them recreational.

I had habits like that when I was a child. I'm sure I had habits that my parents were worried about, but they were totally ignorant about anything neurological and never even heard the term, "autism". The only intervention I got was punishment. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT!! It never helped me. It just taught me that I was a bad person that everyone hated. I could never connect the punishment to the behavior. I just thought I was being punished for being me.

Eventually, I learned that a lot of my stems, like speaking gibberish or nondescript humming made others look at me. Eventually, I made that connection. The difficulty was that I rarely knew I was doing it. But, I finally figured it out.

In the end, I think I came out OK. My greatest improvement in life occurred after I left home and got away from my parents. Although the "bad person" image was traumatic and permanent. I still struggle with that to this day. (I'm now 70 years old)

Personally, I easily relate to your son and from my view, I wouldn't worry about him. Just help him know that he is not a bad person and he will do OK.
Woah,,,, you're an amazing person! I had no idea you were that old. You sound so wise and knowledgeable. You're a lot older than me. I agree with you, I haven't left the house yet but I am getting more independent, and can feel like eventually I will have a better life as a result, although my family has said they're "concerned" about my functioning out there in the outside world :) I'm getting better though.

Woah,,,, you're an amazing person! I had no idea you were that old. You sound so wise and knowledgeable. You're a lot older than me. I agree with you, I haven't left the house yet but I am getting more independent, and can feel like eventually I will have a better life as a result, although my family has said they're "concerned" about my functioning out there in the outside world :) I'm getting better though.
Wow, thank you for the kind words! But, you know, it is normal - actually inevitable - for everyone to gain wisdom and knowledge through the years of their life. I'm sure you are far more wise and knowledgeable now than you were five years ago. That's just how life works. I have no doubt that you will do just fine out in the outside world. No worries, just keep on learning.

Wow, thank you for the kind words! But, you know, it is normal - actually inevitable - for everyone to gain wisdom and knowledge through the years of their life. I'm sure you are far more wise and knowledgeable now than you were five years ago. That's just how life works. I have no doubt that you will do just fine out in the outside world. No worries, just keep on learning.
I sure am <3 Aww... thank you so much. That's very comforting, especially when... Well... Many things around me tend to discourage me of that fact, but I know now that it's true <3 yeahhh

New Threads

Top Bottom