• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sometimes being an Aspie can be brilliant.

Cuppa' Tea

I work as a cashier and today an older man came into the store and asked me if he could use the men's room. I told him where it was (I'm too far away from it to walk him down) and then paged for an employee to unlock the door. (We have a lot of theft, so our bathrooms are locked and an employee has to punch in the code) And so I go back to ringing customers. Six minutes later, he walks by my register and goes "Thanks a lot!" in what I learned was a sarcastic tone. Because sarcasm goes over my head a great deal of the time, and I take things literally, I brightly reply "No problem! Have a good day!" and he starts yelling about how no one let him into the bathroom and screaming at me about how he'll NEVER SHOP HERE AGAIN! So I told him I could call a specific employee there to unlock it for him but he just yells "DON'T BOTHER!" and storms out! (Exaggerated facial expressions and sweeping dramatic statements are highly amusing to me, so I had to visibly hold in laughter during the yelling, which upset him more.)

I think he thought I was making fun of him, when in reality if sarcasm happens when I'm not expecting it, it will go over my head! The customer I was waiting on at the time was very amused by the whole thing and so was I. She asks me "I wouldn't blame you if you were, but I need to know. Were you being a smart ass with your 'have a good day?' and I went "NO!" and explained how I don't really get sarcasm and we had a great chuckle over it.

Sometimes funny moments happen when you are least expecting them.

The funny thing about my increasing ability to detect sarcasm is that sometimes I think people are bluffing when they really AREN'T.

My fiance and I were trying to take typing tests to get certificates for more job opportunities. We went to a college campus in town, and were approached by two security guards as we entered the building. We told them what we were there for, and the guys said "sorry, but you are violating dress code" or something equivalent to "you're not allowed in here with jeans and a t-shirt." My fiance is neurotypical (but I totally have reason to suspect he has Asperger's, minus the meltdowns. LOL), and we BOTH busted up laughing. I AM NOT KIDDING. WE seriously thought they were joking! Then we saw their serious faces and then they said "no, really. We mean it". We were totally floored.... LOL!!!!!!! :laugh:

What kind of dickhead policy is that? I was not aware that wearing jeans interfered with ones ability to learn.
The funny thing about my increasing ability to detect sarcasm is that sometimes I think people are bluffing when they really AREN'T.

My fiance and I were trying to take typing tests to get certificates for more job opportunities. We went to a college campus in town, and were approached by two security guards as we entered the building. We told them what we were there for, and the guys said "sorry, but you are violating dress code" or something equivalent to "you're not allowed in here with jeans and a t-shirt." My fiance is neurotypical (but I totally have reason to suspect he has Asperger's, minus the meltdowns. LOL), and we BOTH busted up laughing. I AM NOT KIDDING. WE seriously thought they were joking! Then we saw their serious faces and then they said "no, really. We mean it". We were totally floored.... LOL!!!!!!! :laugh:

What kind of dickhead policy is that? I was not aware that wearing jeans interfered with ones ability to learn.

Seriously. I wear jeans and a tshirt to work and nobody cares as long as I get **** done at work.

Peace and pacman: I'm thinking it's the whole "dress for success concept", but the city's website didn't even warn us. It just said "it's $10 at this place, no appointment needed." which is why we picked that one out of the other 3. Nothing about "by the way, dress like you would for an interview." They should fix that. That was mildly frustrating after we found out they weren't kidding....

When people say they are never coming back somewhere or going somewhere else, I am inclined to tell them to do just that. At my last job, a customer said he was going to switch to another internet provider and I told him, "good, go f&$^ing there, I dont care" and hung up. I dont take that bs very well, and so if they want to leave, go, Im not losing any money.

Peace and pacman: I'm thinking it's the whole "dress for success concept", but the city's website didn't even warn us. It just said "it's $10 at this place, no appointment needed." which is why we picked that one out of the other 3. Nothing about "by the way, dress like you would for an interview." They should fix that. That was mildly frustrating after we found out they weren't kidding....

I hate the whole "dress for success" concept. It's a completely arbitrary social standard and I can do my job well in whatever clothing I am wearing. Linus Torvalds, the maintainer of the Linux kernel, works from home wearing a bathrobe and refuses to wear ties and give in to ******** conventions under the guise of "professionalism." I like that mentality.

New Threads

Top Bottom