• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Something I've noticed about many people

Keith

They talk about things I already know the logic behind, and do so as if it were the latest issue on the news. They seem to do this often, and it's always the same topics and yet they act as if they've never talked about this before.

An example is where my mom brought up a theory that they're now saying the Mona Lisa may be a self portrait. She said the same thing several years later. How can they now be saying it if you said they were now saying it several years ago?

simple, NT's store memories in a different way then we do. Also with less importance on things and more about people. I am sure many NT's think the same thing about me when I have no clue about some thing I should know about a person.

I've noticed this. And it's amazing to me how often conversations follow familiar scripts...like not just small talk, but even other conversations that people seem to think are rather serious and deep. There's so little ever said that's truly an original thought.

Going around the same circle again, over and over and over, and nothing ever changes.

Going around the same circle again, over and over and over, and nothing ever changes.
And they say we're bad for routines and resisting change! Stuff like that makes me wonder just who the heck were the autistic and allistic role models we're all stereotyped with now. I'm seeing less and less differences between autistic and regular folk as I go on. :emojiconfused:

I know I'm guilty of doing that, not years later but I'll forget who I told something to, then tell them again.

For the last two or three years, my wife says that I do that. I'm inclined to think that it's a age related memory issue. I like to tell people that getting old isn't so bad, I get to see new places and meet new people every day.

Neurotypicals don't talk in order to transfer information, and certainly have little or no interest in whether or not information is factual, out of date or useful. Words are a tool: social normals are pathologically desperate for attention, for status, for narcissistic pleasure in thinking they are "better than" other individuals. Communication is about climbing the social pyramid - thus put downs, bullying, emotional terrorism, lies and rejection are all "legal" tools of the game. What the words "mean" is irrelevant.

Yes! I notice this all the time! It especially annoys me when it's just Details, like about a shopping trip someone took- the bus was late, so they had to!!/@*!? And then they didn't have it in my size, so... And when I went to such & such a store they said.... So I finally decided....., but then.....
And this is supposed to be Interesting???? And I am required to stay & listen & act sympathetic??
And then there's also the Family discussions about Something that happened 'way back when & they Have to get all the Details perfectly Right- can't stop till they do, although 1) you've heard it all before &/ or 2) It's (still) boring. This also goes with describing stuff- Endless attempts to get it just right, when, Really, you had to Be There...
And yes, I Do think it's to get attention, but also, this stuff is generally considered to be 'The Art of Making Conversation'!!
I don't understand it & it bores me to Frustration!!- & maybe a small Meltdown¿???

There have been times when my dad likes to have extended conversations about things related to money: how businesses rip you off, how businesses manipulate policies so they don't have to provide certain benefits, how we have to deal with so-and-so expenditure, etc.

My parents also like to talk about how they are wise enough to see beyond the tricks corporations play to get you to buy their products. That they're not gullible enough to get excited about the gimmicks and cliches in advertisements. They think they're so clever by stating how they know better.

I repeat myself if it's something I find interesting - sometimes multiple times in the same conversation. But I get frustrated when other people repeat things to me. I know that's a double standard, but I still feel that way. :/ I think a lot of what people talk about is boring, so I try not to get involved. Apparently this feeling is mutual, except that other people - rather than simply avoiding me - seem to go out of their way to give me their opinion on my behaviour (which I resent).

I don't know. I withdraw a lot.

New Threads

Top Bottom