• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Some Spring Photos

I will not post any more winter photos on this thread, but yes it's still winter for a few weeks here... Spring here is often fairly brief too, as mostly a quick transition to the longer summer months

I will stand by my enjoyment of winter landscape, when I think it's the most beautiful, I'm sure not everyone agrees :cool:

Last edited:
I will not post any more winter photos on this thread, but yes it's still winter for a few weeks here... Spring here is often fairly brief too, as mostly a quick transition to the longer summer months

I will stand by my enjoyment of winter landscape, when I think it's the most beautiful, I'm sure not everyone agrees :cool:
Of course the snowy scenes are beautiful. I was joking a bit; I certainly didn’t mean to offend. Keep posting, the contrast is thrilling.

Of course the snowy scenes are beautiful. I was joking a bit; I certainly didn’t mean to offend. Keep posting, the contrast is thrilling.

If you insist... From this past weekend...

Harvie Passage 03.jpg

Does anyone go XC skiing on the ice? I’m assuming the flat is ice.

This is river ice, which is very unstable, plus this would not be very smooth under the ice! River ice tends to bunch up more, at least here on the Bow River

We do have a reservoir/artificial lake here where I've seen people ski across, but most xc skiing is done on land

One more winter photo from today, this is where I work right now in a full scale construction zone, in other areas nearby of course... At present there is nothing to stop for...

View attachment 126229
Reminds me of the last time I was north of the border many years ago. When we still encountered bilingual signs like "Arrêt". But they still have some in Alberta, somewhere. Right?

Last edited:
Reminds me of the last time I was north of the border many years ago. When we still encountered bilingual signs like "Arrêt". But they still have some in Alberta, somewhere. Right?

You are far more likely to see that sign in eastern Ontario or Quebec... Maybe other places with some French heritage, not much of that here in Alberta

You are far more likely to see that sign in eastern Ontario or Quebec... Maybe other places with some French heritage, not much of that here in Alberta

Most I remember were in BC in 1974....from Valemount to Kamloops and further south the border.

Lethbridge Alberta is as far east as I ever got in Canada.

Last edited:
Most I remember were in BC in 1974....from Valemount to Kamloops and further south the border.

Lethbridge Alberta is as far east as I ever got in Canada.

Fascinating... Those were the very early days of official bilingualism policy, don't think you would see those signs today... And on that note, I've never been to Valemount before! Do know where it is...

Fascinating... Those were the very early days of official bilingualism policy, don't think you would see those signs today... And on that note, I've never been to Valemount before! Do know where it is...

Yes, it sounds like bilingualism in Canada has receded except perhaps in Quebec. As I recall that was around a year or less when the Trans-Canadian Highway was completed. Quite a lovely drive. I'd love to go back and go through Albert again, crossing over into BC and head to Victoria. I still recall going there when I lived in Washington, not far from Victoria by ferry. All that European style architecture- very cool. Even with double-decker buses.

Victoria BC, early 60s.

251.JPG

A few more flowers of spring here:

Johnny Jump-ups; a surprise self-seeded flower from last year's hanging basket!
Johnnyjumpups.jpeg

Blackberry Blossoms: Blackberries were run amok around my pond many years ago and I have been trying to get rid of them every since. They have nasty spines and are very aggressive. I thought I had them mostly licked, but this spring, they have rebounded in glorious blooms all over.
blackberryblossoms.jpeg

Betilla ground orchid: This one is relatively cold hardy.
orchid.jpeg

The large pink "petals" of this bromeliad are really just bracts. The actual flowers arise from the blue bracts hanging below are are quite small.
bromeliad.jpeg

I can't remember what these are called. They burst into bloom several times per year and when there are a whole bunch of them blooming at the same time, it looks like it has snowed.
Snow.jpeg

The first few days of official spring? In Alberta it looks rather like this :rolleyes: The day before springtime it was 12 Celcius... Welcome to Alberta weather! :cool:
Winter 21B.jpg

But they still have some in Alberta, somewhere.
Not that I have ever seen. Most Albertans treat me like I have a communicable disease when they discover I am also fluent in French.

In an effort to stay on topic, that is today's spring weather in my part of Alberta. It is snowing heavily again this evening.

Yep. Looks like your provincial judiciary adjudicated this issue some ten years ago. No more French.
I am certain there are more Mandarin or Chinese speakers in my province anyhow. It would make more sense to service them.

New Threads

Top Bottom